Thread: Rotax engines

Liked: 0

Default Rotax engines

I was trying to find some new/used Rotax engines online. But i failed. Does anyone know in what snowmobiles Rotax 493 and 494 present? Or where I can get the engines?

I want to build an F500.
    Supermileage project:
    http://polysae.poly.edu

Liked: 210

I'm sure you'll get an answer here pretty soon. If not, private message SSpiffytoo on Apexspeed. Real name Gene Bennett. He visits here on occasion and can answer that question. He runs an F500 in the Northwest.

The other thing you might do is call one of the F500 constructors that's near you. They may know where you can pick one up. I'm going to take a wild guess and say they probably have 'car ready' engines in inventory. Here's a list of constructors:

http://www.f500constructors.com/f5co...facturers.html

I tried to find one for sale on the net too but no such luck.

One thing that might help you along is, I think all of these constructors offer cars in 'kit' form.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Liked: 896

Default ebay

There are usually a few 494 & 493 engines on Ebay. The 494 cannot use the Rave valve engine, but any 493 is legal.

Thanks ... Jay
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Quote Originally Posted by Jnovak View Post
    There are usually a few 494 & 493 engines on Ebay. The 494 cannot use the Rave valve engine, but any 493 is legal.

Thanks ... Jay
    nothing on ebay so far
    Supermileage project:

Liked: 111

Talking to the constructors is important as are some of the non-constructor engine builders. I have purchased about six engines over the last two years on ebay, none over $800. Keep your eyes open. There are many snowmobile salvage yards in the upper midwest and west. (Central Snowmobile, Al's, Mohawk and others you can find through Google or search of choice.)

Quote Originally Posted by iamuwere View Post
    Talking to the constructors is important as are some of the non-constructor engine builders. I have purchased about six engines over the last two years on ebay, none over $800. Keep your eyes open. There are many snowmobile salvage yards in the upper midwest and west. (Central Snowmobile, Al's, Mohawk and others you can find through Google or search of choice.)
    And you tipped me off to the engine I bought earlier this year for $650 (or was that Bill S?). After I put a 'race build' on it, my total cost was about $800. They're out there, you just need to keep looking. There is a list of engine/sled combinations, but I'll have to dig it up. I'll try to get it into the FAQ once I find it.

Quote Originally Posted by kakarot
    I want to build an F500.
    Since you're in the Northeast, you're in Mike Quadrini territory. Mike's kind-of like the Enzo Ferrari of F500: you'd have ot meet him to understand that one. Look Mike up for parts & advice. I know he's got at least one 493 in his shop and he's got a couple of 494s ready to go. And a bunch of frames....

Depending on youre experience level, you can certainly build a car. Doug marsh won the Runoffs in his Rockettech in 2005. And there are a couple of other unique cars running Nationals right now - just be prepared for a lot of years of slow development (I'm on year 5 right now).

If you're not comforatable rolling your own, you can always rebuild an old car or just get a used one & study it. There aren't a whole lot of cars for sale right now (the 'bad' side effect of incredibly low operating costs), but I know of at least one KBS Mk.7 for sale in the NorthEast, along with the stuff Mike Q. has at his shop.

I'd suggest going to the National at Lime Rock next weekend or the National at Pocono August 15-17th and talking to the drivers there (I'll be at Pocono but not Lime Rock). They'll give you good overview of the details of the cars. Feel free to PM me with specifics about that event.

Good look, and make sure you're an educated consumer!

Liked: 5

I was recently looking for an oil control cable and was on my last hopes of finding one locally when I stopped in at a jet ski shop. The mechanic there happened to be a certified ROTAX tech who previously worked in a large motorcycle/jet ski shop down here and he told me that the Jet Ski engines are exactly the same thing. After looking at a dozen of them in pieces in his shop and visually comparing them to mine, it would appear that he's correct. Now, he's unfamiliar with our rules and I don't know much about the engines' internal specs themselves, so I could be wrong here...BUT it certainly bears investigation.
    jerry

Been looking around a bit. I do not know if I will build my own or just buy sooner or later.

But, I drew one out already, not all of it there, still missing the rubber suspension part. For the suspension, I am going to get couple of samples, and run them through compression tester at my institute.
    About this model: the cooling air comes in between the body and the tire. The dip in front nose is to allow air pass easily to get quicker to radiators. The exit is inside the body, directed at the CVT and motor, then it goes to the center section at the tail, and shoots out there. the exhaust is enclosed inside as well.

and yes, this is a rough shape I want it to be. I have to redraw it later again, from scratch.

Supermileage project:

Thread Information