Thread: Barber Regional

Liked: 7

Default Barber Regional

Anyone going to the regional at Barber in Birmingham at the end of August?
    I need one more race to get my national licence for next year. I've been wanting
    to run there since the track was opened. I would like to go to the ARRC but I'm
    not sure I need to be on the track with 65 other cars like they had last year and
    get run over from behind because my piece of **** is way to slow to keep up with the other FB cars. Especially the factory cars with real drivers. Just curious. I would like to
    come to the ARRC for the party!!!! If I can get the wife to loosen up a little bit.

Jerry

Liked: 553

Jerry, there area bunch of us looking forward to the Barber race.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default Bring it, Freeman!

Jerry, Barber is a go for team Coopsport! After only getting to run the test day last year as a FC (right up until the LD had a meltdown), I knew I had to get back to this place.

As for the ARRC, we are supposed to have our own race (FB only) on Sunday.
    Many folks, myself included, have dual homologated our cars for FS and FB.
    Get going on this if you have not as you'll be able to run FS on Saturday, and FB on Sunday.

As for the wife, err, you're on yer own; have you tried wine and/or flowers?

It rips, therefore I'm there - G Cooper, 2008

Liked: 11

I am definately planning on being there...
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Liked: 1

Does anyone know when registration will open for this event?

Liked: 202

Barber registration should be open by the end of July. We'll be sending the sanction package to Topeka this week and we need to get past this weekend at Road Atlanta.

As far as Glenn's statement that FB will have a stand-alone race on Sunday at the 2008 ARRC by GRM, I'm not sure where that comes from (and as Competition Director for Atlanta Region I'm pretty sure I'm in the know on such things. )

We are still discussing what to add to the Sunday schedule to go along with the Three-Hour Enduro, but no final decisions have been made at this time. We can certainly do a split start for FS in the Saturday Championship race, but I don't believe we have to counts to justify a stand-alone race on Sunday.

Butch Kummer
    Butch Kummer
    2006, 2007, 2010 SARRC GTA Champion

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Quote Originally Posted by glenn cooper View Post
    Jerry, Barber is a go for team Coopsport! After only getting to run the test day last year as a FC (right up until the LD had a meltdown), I knew I had to get back to this place.

As for the ARRC, we are supposed to have our own race (FB only) on Sunday.
    Many folks, myself included, have dual homologated our cars for FS and FB.
    Get going on this if you have not as you'll be able to run FS on Saturday, and FB on Sunday.

As for the wife, err, you're on yer own; have you tried wine and/or flowers?

It rips, therefore I'm there - G Cooper, 2008
    All you dually homologaged double dippers be sure to be ready to show how your car has been changed to make it FB ineligible when running FS, per the FS rules.
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Liked: 11

Quote Originally Posted by GT1Vette View Post
    Barber registration should be open by the end of July. We'll be sending the sanction package to Topeka this week and we need to get past this weekend at Road Atlanta.

As far as Glenn's statement that FB will have a stand-alone race on Sunday at the 2008 ARRC by GRM, I'm not sure where that comes from (and as Competition Director for Atlanta Region I'm pretty sure I'm in the know on such things. )

We are still discussing what to add to the Sunday schedule to go along with the Three-Hour Enduro, but no final decisions have been made at this time. We can certainly do a split start for FS in the Saturday Championship race, but I don't believe we have to counts to justify a stand-alone race on Sunday.

Butch Kummer

We did discuss the possibility of a stand-alone race last year...

How many cars would we need to be that group on Sunday?
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Liked: 202

Discussed the possibility, yes, but there's definitely been no final decision by any means.

It's not only how many do you need for a stand-alone race, but also what it does it do to the rest of the group you're pulled out of. Last year we had 37 FE's take the green on Sunday, but we also had 35 in the Formula car group on Saturday. This year the various iterations of FF are moving out to play with the 12-15 FSTs that are promising to be there, so we're looking at 30 or so cars in that group. That leaves ASR, CFC, FB and FS in a true "Wings & Things" group, so even with 30 FBs we're talking about a 40-45 car group. We certainly can do a split start for FB, but I can't commit to a separate race at this point.

All that said, there are a lot of irons in the fire and multiple salesmen knocking on our door making all sorts of outrageous promises (including the late, unlamented "Bonus" race on Sunday). Which of those ideas will bear fruit has yet to be determined, but what I CAN tell you is there is NO final decision at this point!
    Butch Kummer
    2006, 2007, 2010 SARRC GTA Champion

Liked: 210

Quote Originally Posted by formulasuper View Post
    All you dually homologaged double dippers be sure to be ready to show how your car has been changed to make it FB ineligible when running FS, per the FS rules.
    Just put some 30 thousandth's spacers inside the end plates on both sides of your spare rear wing and ask the tech people from the Sprints to check it
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Liked: 707

Quote Originally Posted by GT1Vette View Post
    Not that you would plan the weekend around lil 'ole me, but having Sunday as a travel day worked out very nicely last year. It would be hard to justify taking off Thursday, Friday AND Monday...
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Get your FIA rain lights here:
    www.gyrodynamics.net/product/cartek-fia-rain-light/

Default Wishful thinking??

Butch,
    Whew, am I glad I didn't throw the Morgan family fortune on that bet!
    I'DA SWORN @ last year's ARRC it was mentioned that there would be a FB Championship race on Sunday, basically taking the place of the FE Championship race now that they have a Runoffs slot.

Maybe it was a bit of G H W Bush - "No new taxes, read my lips" type deal??

OK, so to help travelers like Mike B, how about a standalone FB race on Saturday?

Scott, I'll have my FB across the scales at 999, whatchathink?

Regards, GC

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

"Scott, I'll have my FB across the scales at 999, whatchathink?"
    Better pray there are no extended full course yellows.
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Liked: 3787

There are probably a hundred easy $10 ways to convert a FB (or FC) to FS.

Either the front or rear wing gets a bit too wide. (e.g. attach dive planes on the outside wing endplates.)
    Be under weight.
    Dive planes on the sides of the sidepods.
    End plates on the rear wings that are too high.
    etc., etc.

claim the motor is 1010 CCs.

Just put FS decals on the side.

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    There are probably a hundred easy $10 ways to convert a FB (or FC) to FS.

Either the front or rear wing gets a bit too wide. (e.g. attach dive planes on the outside wing endplates.)
    Be under weight.
    Dive planes on the sides of the sidepods.
    End plates on the rear wings that are too high.
    etc., etc.

claim the motor is 1010 CCs.

Just put FS decals on the side.
    I like the last one. That would probably do it.

I laughed at rick99's suggestion, too.

Frog, are you in for Barber? Any progress with your cooling issue?
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Default Just finished the 24 Hrs of O'Hare

Russ - Whatchoo talikn' bout?
    The frog is as cool as the day is long...
    Cooling issues indeed!

GC

Liked: 0

If I finally manage to pull my finger out and race this weekend I'd be up for Barber as well.

Glenn, I just looked for Watkins Glen results on MyLaps, but nothing. Did you have fun (not counting the airport part)?

Frog has been trying to get a handle on elusive cooling problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brands View Post
    If I finally manage to pull my finger out and race this weekend I'd be up for Barber as well.
    Where's your finger?

Sorry to say I'm not racing at Rd Atl this weekend, but glad to hear your car might be out a few times soon. Is it in good shape?
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

I'm hoping to attend the Barber race with my DB4. I've looked at the track map, but would appreciate any advice or comments from those who have actually been there. I will need to select gearing soon, so corner speed info would be helpful. It is my understanding that the slowest corner is around 50 mph, and that the top speed in an FC is less than 130 mph. Many of the corners look to be relatively fast, so I am assuming that I will spend a lot of time in 3rd and 4th gear. Any advice is welcome.......

Liked: 3787

I'd love to do Barber again. Is Birmingham big enough for both Coop and the Frog?

Just got home from Mid-O, leave in less than two weeks for Road America, two weeks after that is Mosport... tough duty. But not much time to work, and figure out why I have the world's hottest Reynard. Need to work to pay for the "cooling fix". Then there's the problem of driving in from Mosport and turning around for Birmingham.

But I haven't given up on Barber yet.

What a neat technical track to drive! And we get to go by Pine Mountain Club Chalets coming and going.

Mike our short wheel base cars come alive at this track, especially if it rains like last year!
    1st gear isn't as low as Nashville but lower than anywhere else to deal with the switch-back at mid coarse and 4th is only for a few seconds after the kink and the front straight. So 2nd and 3rd are the ones to work out, but with a soft engine and rain most of the last event my gears may not help you.
    Sean was slap flying at this one last year......maybe it was the mono shock??
    SuperTech Engineering inc.
    Mark Hatheway

Thread Information