Classifieds Super License Joefisherff's Avatar
    Liked: 103

Default Mid Ohio EWC Get Registered Now!

Registration is up and running for the next EWC at Mid-Ohio on August 9th and 10th, besides all of the goodies Steve has lined up from the great EWC sponsors, Hoosier is ponying up tires for all class winners! You can register at:

www.dlbracing.com

If you are looking for a garage move fast as they are going quick! If you have a buddy that wants to get a taste of driving on a race track we will be having a PDX on Friday for street cars and the Ferrari Lamborghini Club will be joining us for the PDX - talk about eye candy! There is also a special with the Mid-Ohio school and the teen defensive driving school - what more can we throw in for one weekend!!!!

Joe
    Last edited by Joefisherff; 07.07.08 at 6:09 PM.

Liked: 0

Don't look now but you have a contender coming from Maryland to run CFF.

Default Sign up now for the next EWC Round

Looks like a great turn out at Blackhawk let's exceed it at Mid-Ohio - sign up now at:

www.dlbracing.com

thanks

Joe

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 854

This could be fun! I wonder if the wife will let me out of the house for this one!

Too bad there aren't any garages left....
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Default Come on Garey

Come on plead for a hall pass Garey! Should be a good turn out - I think Mike Kolthoff is coming so you should have a good DB6 to run against and I think Jim Dietz too so should be some good competition in FF.

Even though I haven't made one yet, being able to run EWC was a factor in moving from SoCal to TN with my job. But it's getting more and more complicated! We are all going to the Monterey Historics the following weekend and I just learned that I may have to go to Mexico again between these two weekends!

If my kids weren't so cute, it would be a lot easier decision!
    Garey Guzman
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Hi everyone,

Just a reminder that late registration kicks in July 29th at Midnight.

Best Regards,

Todd Cholmondeley
    Cincinnati Race Chairman

Liked: 20

Too bad there aren't any garages left....
    Gary (or any EWC guy), you can use my garage rental if I don't end up making it out. I have one of the singles reserved.
    Paul Reineck

Default Garey's first

If Garey doesn't take it I will Max.

Thanks

Joe

I would love to have it!

Joe, I'll even share! I'm pretty sure there's enough room for 2 cars although we'll end up being very friendly all weekend!

I'm trying to find out one last piece of info from the Registrar, then I'll be able to register.
    Garey Guzman

O.K. for those of you that must wait till Aug. to get your entry in. The late entry fee will be waived if you enter and pay electronically ( pay pal or credit card) up until August 6th at 8:00 p.m. CST. Snail mail must still be postmarked by July 29th to avoid the late entry fee. You can also still enter and pay at the track but the late entry fee will apply.

Todd

Default MID-OHIO EARLY ENTRY LIST

At 12 days and counting, the FF/CFF car count for the Mid-Ohio EWC weekend is at 10:

Steve Beeler, Lola T-540, CFF, E
    Phil Kingham, Zink Z-10C, CFF, E
    Garey Guzman, Zink Z-16, CFF, E
    Chuck Smith, Tiga FFA-81, CFF, E
    Jeanne Degnan, Van Diemen RF80, CFF, E
    Jim Dietz, Van Diemen RF97, FF, E
    Craig Jones, Van Diemen RF98K, FF, E
    Mike Kolthoff, Swift DB-6, FF, E
    Gary Dean, Swift DB-1, FF, E
    Paul Reineck, Van Diemen RF98, FF, W

I still have not heard from all the "regular" EWC drivers. If you have not yet checked in, please do so. The Mid-Ohio weekend features some great contingency awards and prize drawing goodies...and a lot of seat time. It is a don't miss weekend.

Cincinnati Region has waived the late entry fee. Scroll up a few posts in this thread for a link for on-line entry.

Steve Beeler, de facto EWC commissioner
    Lola T-540 HU44
    home: (7340416-8865 sbeeler@wowway.com
    office: (313)441-4460 x1141 sbeeler@pmcorp.com

Default 10 - 1 + 1 = 10

Paul Reineck checked in with the news that he is sadly out after engine problems last weekend but he expects to be at Road America in September. Better news from Joe Fisher: he'll be at Mid-Ohio in the ex Ron Stoll Tiga FFA-76 CFF.

That leaves the EWC car count at 10. If you have not already done so, please enter early and enter often. We need more cars than this...

Lola T-540 HU44
    home: (734)416-8865 sbeeler@wowway.com

Where are all you guys?!?!
    This will be my first EWC so I hope I get to meet more of you than the other 9 folks committed!

Am I going to run out of people to introduce myself to and have to meet the GL FC and CFC guys too?
    Garey Guzman

Contributing Member

Default A Definite Maybe

Hmmm --

I was planning to support my home region at BeaveRun next weekend, but no one is coming (only one CF signed up) -- Now I've got to decide between the National at Pocono and this event ---

I haven't been to M-O since Guzman and I had a blast at the WOR games a couple years ago!

Let you know my decision later this weekend

Default Hmmmm

Racing against a CF or against 9 other FF/CFFs - Hmmmm

I want a rematch!
    Garey Guzman

Contributing Member

Default Convinced

Okay Garey you convinced me . I'll do my entry later today.

Is there FF paddock area for those not getting a garage?

See y'all there next weekend.

Default 10 + 1 - 1 = 10

I have looked under all the usual rocks for Formula Fords and Club Fords and we are still stuck at 10 cars. Bob Lutz (Swift DB-1, FF, E) is now in but JoAnne Degnan withdrew. Joe Fisher's on-line entry is still in cyberspace but it is coming.

The late entry date has been extended to Wednesday. Maybe there will be better news tomorrow...

Lola T-540 HU44

Liked: 313

I'm in. I just registered on dlb.

I can drive, I won't be standing or walking any further than I have to, but I'll be driving.

Are there any chiropractors going? I may need a mid-weekend adjustment.

Dave,
    Good to hear that you'll be joining us at this event. I was hoping to get my feet wet with my Zink, especially against some top-notch competition but I found a thread problem in one of the chassis/trans adaptor support tube and can't fix it in time. But I'll still be there with my Swift for that rematch with Bob!

BTW, I'll be in Garage 4 if anyone needs anything. I'm going there solo so I might not get out much to visit.
    Garey Guzman

If you are planning on arriving during a time when the SCCA registration is not open you can still get into the track starting Thursday night at 6 p.m. You need to sign the Mid Ohio waiver and will be issued a blue armband. Now here is the tricky part. I am working to resolve an issue where upon Guest Services is requiring you to leave your Drivers license with them and will be able to retrieve it after you register at registration. This is a change from last years policy. I am checking to see if they will accept other forms of I.D. since I'm not to comfortable leaving my drivers license lying around with strangers.

I will let you know what the response is.

Todd

Here is the official response from Mid Ohio.

No problem using some other form of ID… Whatever will work. It just helps your registration people to know who came in and still needs to come and register. I will let our folks know that any form on ID will work…

Default EWC Saturday Evening Prize Drawing

Since we are the last race group, the Mid-Ohio EWC Saturday evening prize drawing will be immediately following our release from impound. The location will be at my trailer. We have some great prizes...highlighted by one of Mike Kolthoff's helmet paint jobs.

Hey, it is not too late to enter...

Lola T-540 HU44

So Steve, will your trailer be in front of a garage? What does your trailer look like?
    Garey Guzman

Default EWC Prize Drawing Location

Garey:

I have what might be the world's smallest enclosed Formula Ford trailer...a white 12 x 6 Haulmark. The shelter I set up next to it is larger than the trailer! I plan to paddock out in the grass. It will not be a long walk from the garages. Let's connect Friday night or Saturday morning.

Steve

Quote Originally Posted by Steve B View Post
    Garey:

I have what might be the world's smallest enclosed Formula Ford trailer...a white 12 x 6 Haulmark.
    GEEZ!! Do you put your car in sideways?!?!

Grass? What Grass? I've only pitted at the garages the 2 times I've been there. I'm pretty sure I'm in Garage #4, near the restrooms. Red F350 CC LWB SRW, white 28' trailer with Sean O'Connell's FB on the side.
    Garey Guzman

Default That big Green Area

Garey, as you face impound from the garages the big grassy area to the right and on up the hill is where Steve is talking about. I'll be right beside you with Rex in Garage 5 so we can stumble up there together.

Joe

Well, I had a great time, except for watching the last couple of laps from the sidelines both days!

As much fun as this was, I can't believe that the car counts aren't much, much higher! It was good to meet a few more people from here. I'm really going to try to make the Road America event too!
    Garey Guzman

Liked: 39

Steve Beeler,
    Nice to meet you finally. If you are in charge of weather, I sure hope you don't miss any more events. It was a great weekend, enjoyed running with ya'll.
    Chuck Smith

Liked: 64

OK,somebody please post a race report.

Default Up and Down Weekend

My own weekend was very up and down. Here's the report from the back of the field, the side of the track, the seat of the wrecker, etc.

Down: Saturday morning qualifying. My engine started cutting out and it got worse as the session went on. This has been a lingering problem that apparently a new fuel cell did not fix. Qualified poorly.

Up: Tracked down the problem to a bad connection on an ignition wire. Problem fixed!

Down: Started Saturday afternoon race toward the back. Great racing in heavy traffic, but then on lap 5 I t-boned a spinning Dave Keep in a CFC at the top of the hill in Madness. My car ended up resting across the top of his cockpit on driver's right. Luckily, no one was hurt. Photos exist and will be posted!

Up: Replaced the nose box, nose, upper right wishbone, tie rod, and aligned the car with the help of my daughter Taylor, Tim Gaffney, Chris Watson, and Jim Dietz. Thanks everybody!

Up: Won the free helmet paint job donated by Mike Kohltoff. Thanks Mike!

Down: Started the Sunday morning toward the back again. On lap one in the keyhole after the chicane, someone punted Joe Fisher into my right rear and we were both out of the race. The perpetrator continued on unscathed.

Down: Didn't have and couldn't scrounge the tripod joint and upright needed to repair the car so we packed up and went home.

Overall, a tough weekend but it was fun seeing the FF/CF/FC/CFC crowd at a great track with perfect weather. Thanks to Steve, Joe, and Phil for organizing the East - West Challenge!

FF #2
    Van Diemen RF 98
    Craig Jones

Liked: 313

From the CFF field:

Phil Kingham and I had an agreement not to put on fresh tires until we both did, so we went out for Saturday qualifying on some rubber that had seen better days. Phil showed his car control skills by putting his Zink on the CFF pole, I couldn't come to grips with my car, spun once and qualified fourth in CFF out of five.

Phil and I agreed to put on fresh rubber for the race.

At the start of Saturday's race I pushed my way through the field and hung on to Phil's gearbox. The lap chart shows I led laps six and thirteen but there were lots of passes back and forth around the track. As Craig wrote, his car and Dave's CFC decided to get intimate with each other which brought out a full course caution for four laps. Phil and I continued to battle the rest of the race with Phil taking the win by a car length. Due to time, the race was shortened to 21 laps from the scheduled 22.

At the end of the race my brand new left front R60 was grained badly from chasing Phil so hard. That night I flipped both front tires on there respective rims and swapped them side to side.

Sunday morning we had a qualifying race of 12 laps. Phil and I again had a great duel with Phil leading all but the last lap. I passed Phil at the end of the back straight and hung on to the finish line. The margin of victory was under .1 sec.

Sunday's afternoon race was gridded by Sunday am finish position so I gridded immediately in front of Phil. Again we had a good duel until I grained over my "new" front left tire, high-sided the curbing coming out of the keyhole and spun. By this time we had enough lead over the pack that I lost one non-class-position to Bob Lutz due to the spin. I had a great time chasing down Bob and he was a complete gentleman and let me by to try to catch Phil. I was hoping for Phil to either make a mistake, get caught in traffic or to get a full-course yellow but that wasn't going to happen.

Phil doesn't make mistakes so he picked up the win in the second of the two feature races with me several seconds back. I got fast lap by some unimaginably small margin.

Using the ITSpectacular scoring, Phil got 29 points to my 28.

In the EWC Phil has six wins in six races, I have five seconds and a dnf. I think that wraps up the EWC standings as I think we are the only guys that have made all the races. Phil has business comittments so he will miss the RA weekend. I would like to make it but I have a long list of things to do myself.

We are both planning to go to the ARRC in Atlanta in November. I'm looking forward to seeing all the great people I met last year at the ARRC.

Liked: 1

Default Photo's - Craig Jones

Craig - I would definitely like to have copies of the pictures - now that I am a few days away from the incident

mikeep63@yahoo.com

Regards

David Keep

Thread Information