Contributing Member Nicholas Belling's Avatar
    Liked: 1

Default FB PACFIC RACEWAYS MAY 2008 IN-CAR RACE FOOTAGE CLIP - F1000 with NICHOLAS BELLING

This was the May Double National/Regional weekend at the famous Seattle International Raceway (Pacific Raceways).

Kyle is P1, I am P2 on start/finish..

CLICK HERE TO WATCH VIDEO segment

http://www.fastforwardmotorsports.com/
    Nicholas Belling
    email@nicholasbelling.com
    Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Liked: 309

Wow...great video Nicholas! Thanks for sharing. I love watching this stuff, and props to you and Kyle...
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 0

Excellent video Nicholas, great perspective. You guys all put on a really fantastic show that weekend!

Contributing Member
    Liked: 26

Very nice! Good to see the cars are staying together better these days! Nicholas, what type of camera are you using please?

Default Blair thanks. These cars are Awesome. I Use GOPRO cameras everywhere on the car.

Sometimes we have run up to 5 on the car.. they are totally awesome.
    Nicholas Belling

Liked: 553

Very cool. Looks like a fun track.

Is that rear wing movement normal & no big deal?
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Default Russ,

Next year all the east coast guys should consider coming to the famous Pacific Raceways track or Portland tracks we have to offer.. awesome venues.

As for the wing I know it visually looks odd.. and I am sure everyone has there opinions. But this wing is very sturdy and has no structural defects showing anywhere. A group of local aviation guys agreed its not terrible and have seen stuff like this and even worse. But we are working on running some support cables from either upper side plates to the center of the rear lower element to tie the whole structure together.
    Nicholas Belling

Liked: 3

Default Rear Wing Movement

On my car (same F1000 as Nicholas's), I went off the road once and the top wing came of the threads that attach it to the side plates (there was only a couple of threads engaged into the top wing). This bent over the other endplate that was still attached to the top wing. When I got home I did a fiberglass repair on the endplate that bent over but there was some topcoat I did not sand away and at the next race in March, the repair came off. This made my endplates that much less sturdy, and the other endplate could not take the weaker one on the other side and they both folded over, and the top wing just rested on the bottom wing with both my endplates folded over. That evening we attached some vertical angles to strengthen the endplates which worked for the Sunday race (but they created drag).

In any case, I think some type of reinforcement to those endplates is needed (such as cables) or they just need to be made stronger. As you can see in the video they move around a lot, and my experience indicates they aren't too robust, and can fold over if something out of the ordinary happens.

James Michael

Default James,

It sounds like it all started from not having enough thread engagement on the endplates to wings. I had similar issues but before things went south I noticed that. What I did to correct that from happening is when I took off my top and bottom rear wings off I noticed thread engagement was minimal and that the aluminum ribbing could engage like 3/4 of an inch.. so I went with longer bolts and I helicoiled every location for added strength because I noticed the aluminum threads where starting to distort.. I also blue loctite every single wing end plate bolt.. and now nothing comes loose.. and I feel very comfortable with the helicoils in place.
    Nicholas Belling

Liked: 210

Quite often, at simple screw-a-part-down points (where stress was in tension let alone shear loads) on airbourne and shipboard equipment, an aluminum base plate material is used. We ALWAYS inserted a helicoil and used red/blue loctite. It was the one-and-ONLY way to get through shock and vibration testing without pulling the threads out or the screw coming lose.

It may mean buying a set of bottom taps and helicoil insert tool but it's worth the cost.

Good idea Nicholas.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

As an FYI I pulled my front wing apart getting read for the sprints next week and I have the aluminum backing plate there starting to show signs of the threads pulling out. Specifically the front left side. I have only run the car really for 50 or so laps now. Already had helicoiled the baby last night and am picking up longer screws tonight before I even read this post.

Nicholas it sounds like we came to the same solution about how to hold the wing steadier. Basically its the same solution that was used on the original DSR Stohrs to support the body mounted rear wing.
    John Stecher - Rochester Minnesota
    http://twitter.com/johnstecher - Follow me on Twitter
    http://www.trackpedia.net/blogs/john/ - My Blog
    http://www.trackpedia.com - The world's premier race track reference

We have a bunch of test and race time (probably over 30 hours) on our 2008 Stohr F1000 with the same rear wing set up as Nicholas, and have not had a single issue with the front or rear wings.
    I have done nothing special to any of the mounting hardware or predrilled holes except checking for tightness on a regular basis.

Cheers
    Kyle
    ps cant wait for the Sprints,... 8 more days till testing at RA. yahoooooooo!

Default KICK SOME ASS IN RA KYLE !!!

MAKE SURE YOUR REAR CAMERA IS installed and working to capture all the guys behind you...!!!! JUST DRIVE AWAY...

I AM ROOTING FOR YOU.. AND WISH I WAS THERE COMPETING AGAINST YOU.....

BE SAFE......
    Nicholas Belling

Liked: 59

Very cool video. Nice job Nick. The fellow behind you must be my teamate, our cars are exactly the same color. I may give friends the link and just tell them its me...haha.

Kidding, as soon as I figure out how to edit on my Mac, I'll post some Sebring footage filmed on a GoPro last weekend. I'm working on it.

Keep posting, your videos are great!

Default AWESOME !! would love to see. your vids..

Kyle's paint job I think is the paint code of the Lamborghini Murcielago Roadster (metallic orange).. I think.. I think ..Right kyle

maybe I should one day think about changing my FACTORY STEALTH FIGHTER MATT GREY color ??? currently my paint job is on a weight loss program..
    Nicholas Belling

Liked: 59

Just watched a third time and it keeps getting better every time...

I saw your car at the ARRC and thought it second only to our Lotus (non-metallic Orange) Creme. Cole drove the wheels off of it that weekend.

Kyle's car looks great! And he looks very quick in it.

Liked: 35

Cool stuff buddy..
    I really like the web site..

scotty
    Taylor Race Engineering
    Scotty
    Est. 1990
    Taylor Race Engineering

Great video, Nicholas...looks like a Stohr ad! Hope to race there with you guys next time...

Default You bet Nicholas. Seattle is awesome.. in the DRY that is..

Next year the plan is to build a mini west coast F1000 series and have some actual contigincies so we can pull incentives for more distant non local travellers to come to select premeir events and to bring National numbers up..
    Nicholas Belling

Thread Information