Liked: 1

Default Phoenix Race Works, LLC Update

Now that the whole FA/FB consolidation BS is behind us, it is time to get back to work on the new F1000 car. We have determined that the car will be dubbed the Phoenix F1K.09 (2009 model) and we will have more details when we launch our new website sometime next week.

In the meantime...now that we've been running the 2007 prototype for over a year, we've begun to tear the car down for a complete inspection and re-build. We're actually going to take it completely down to the chassis and make it look more like the production cars. The chassis will be powdercoated, we'll put a real body on it, and we'll update a few items that were changed for production. We'll probably shake it down here locally in the fall and then head for the ARRC in November. For now, I intend to keep it as my own personal car and maybe make it available for rentals at Regional events next year.

Overall, I'm extremely pleased with the results with the car. Dustin did an outstanding job for a first time effort on a car of this caliber. I've put nearly 30 hours on the car and have had few issues. I also have captured the first ever Division title (SOPAC) for any FB car and Richard Dziak has captured his first Regional title (AZ) in his Phoenix F1K.07. Richard has 11 races in the books in his car and he has had no problems with his car. He has made every session he wanted to run and has zero DNF's.

Just as a testament to how good this car is...In March I set the Firebird Main track record at 56.6 seconds on a set of Goodyear 250's...on their 8th session! And even better....those same tires sat on the car since March and we took the car out last Friday and put a professional driver in the car for a few sessions. It was 100 degrees and a track temperature of nearly 140...and he said the car was "really good". He wasn't slacking in the car either...he was pushing it hard.

In between the work on building the body molds, finishing up the prototype chassis, and getting the 2007 prototype re-built, Dustin did have a minute to do up a new computer-generated image of the F1K.09 car from a few new angles. More next week!

OK...one more....

Matt Conrad
    Phoenix Race Works, LLC

Liked: 0

Matt,

I'm glad to hear that you didn't get derailed by all of the smoke coming out of Topeka. I look forward to your progress with the 07 prototype, and I am anxious to see that snarky 2009 model hit the track!

Marty
    Marty Bose - #1 gopher, GonMad Racing

Liked: 11

Rendering looks great- can't wait to see it in person. Perhaps if my cooling changes don't work I'll see if we can work out a price on those wizzy sidepods...
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Contributing Member Richard Dziak's Avatar
    Liked: 3

As an owner of the Phoenix Race Works F1K-07... I wanted to input a few words on my car.

The car was originally ordered back in Feb 2007. I flew into Phoenix and was custom fit for the steering rod, the pedals and the seat. It took Phoenix 6 months to build the car and was delivered in Sept 2007. Since delivery, I have entered 11 SCCA Regional events. Won the Arizona Regional Championship for 2007-2008 in FB Class. Am the current 2008 Rocky Mountain Division Regional Championship points leader. Have been paid by Phoenix Race works for setting track records at Phoenix International Raceway and Sandia Motorplex under their race contingency program. I was additonally paid for winning a regional championship. They are the only constructor that I know of to pay drivers/owners a race contingency of cash to their drivers. The car has performed flawlessly. The car was delivered with Goodyear 250 tires and those tires lasted 9 events. Since the car is so light, tire wear is virtually non existant. The engine has performed flawlessly (thanks George Dean) and I have gone to Amsoil Motorcycle products for the oil and filters. I cannot be happier with the Phoenix. Every race I have entered, I have finished. The car originally underwent a complete professional race set up from Chris Harrison's Auto Dynamics shop before it was delivered. When I got the car I carefully marked each A-arm and each suspension rod, shocks, any movable suspension part with red dots. After 11 events, none of the markings have changed positions. The brakes show little to no wear. I have made chain adjustments which are considered minor and is a 5-10 minute chore. The set up is as good as first delivered. Essentially the Phonix F1K-07 has required no maintainence or changes in set up since delivery. I have the third oil change in the car, and the Amsoil product appears to do a great job in the lubrication of the engine. In addition to 11 SCCA events, I have several days of open track days at my local track ArroyoSecoRaceway. I have logged aproximately 809 miles on the engine and a little over 18 hours on the engine, all this data from the AIM Dash that was installed in the car.

The Phoenix F1K-07 has been a hit both on and off the track, for its sleek appearence in body style and the overall appearence of the car which is shown below. A lot of thought went into the color of the car, and lots of thought to the minimal amount of graphics. In fact there was more discussion on the final color of the car and how it would be painted prior to delivery, as Matt Conrad can attest; over the build of the car. I added 3M ClearShield film to intregal parts of the car, nose, side panels, side strakes, etc....to protect the paint from chips and nicks of racing. With the 3m FilmShield product the car looks fantasic after the 11 race events.

In my most recent event, in tech impound, the car engine cover was lifted and those racers in my big bore open wheel group, which included $70,000 Stohr DSR cars, the drivers were extremely impressed with the chassis build and the how secure and removable, the rear chassis of the car was. There were several comparisons to the Stohr FB car. Everyone that had seen a Stohr vs the Phoenix, stated there was no comparison as to the build of the chassis between the Sohr and the Phoenix. They rated the Phoenix chassis as superior to the Stohr. These comments have no intent to diminish the Stohr in any way, but is fact from other drivers/racers who have seen both cars.

With the AIM dash installed, my Suzuki GXSR 2007 engine has NOT been beaten up. Even shifting consistantly at 12,000 RPM's and NO more than that, the Phoenix F1K-07 has more power and potential than I can possibly handle. I am a regional racer, and this car has so much potential with a professional driver, that my car would be a podium finish car at any event.

Bottom line to my comments.....While Phoenix Race Works has only sold 2 production cars vs the Stohr, I feel that many potential FB production turnkey purchasers have missed out on buying a high quality product. While Stohr is certainly the top constructor due to numbers in the field, the Phoenix FB cars should not be overlooked. There is one other F1K-07 in the field. I have not seen any results from that car. I would assume however, once that car emerges on the track with a "hot shoe" driver ..... it will be a winner also.

I get no pay or compensaton for speaking positively about the Phoenix, but I am a living testimonial who owns the first version and it is fast, very fast, and intimidating to my driving skills with its power and handling abilities. It is by far the best Formula race car I have ever owned. Dustin Wright did a fantasic job in the design and Matt Conrad and his Phoenix Race Works team did a great job in the build. If the F1K-09 is any thing like my 07, this car pictured above will be awesome.

For those FB racers, I highly suggest that you do not get caught up in style of body design,or brand name of the other constuctors. Compare purpose built cars eye to eye to the Phoenix, and I am sure you will be impressed as I am. I have no regrets ordering the car sight unseen. The Phoenix F1K-07 has met my expections and has exceeded them in so many areas.

Matt Conrad is a class act person, and knows his business well as does Dustin Wright in the engineering aspect of the build. They are constantly striving to improve their product. I too, am glad that these two young guns did not give up on their quest to be the best in the business over the SCCA FB consolidation issue.

If your looking to spend money to enter this class, I highly suggest that you contact Matt Conrad and give him a shot at building you the highest quality FB car you can imagine.

While I personally decided not to convert my 1993 Van Diemen FC to FB class, the money spent with Phoenix was 100% worth it. They have delivered a great car that has run flawlessly so far, and I have spent NO time working on the car after work, or long hours in the garage on weekends. I feel there is a major difference in buying a new constucted purpose built FB class car vs converting. I do however go over the car before every race event, and there really is not much to do.

The Phoenix F1K-07 is one bird that certainly can compete with the best of the best. I am an extremely well pleased owner.

I look forward to watching the progress of the new 2009 model and can't wait to run on the track with that car.
    Richard Dziak
    Las Cruces, New Mexico
    Former Phoenix F1K-07 F1000 #77 owner/driver
    email: sonewmexico@gmail.com

Liked: 1

I don't see an Emoticon for blushing, but if there was one I would use it here. Thanks for your positive comments. We are obviously happy that your car has performed so well and we're certain it will continue to perform for you for many years in the future.

I'd like to address a few things Richard spoke about:
    1. Build Time. The actual construction of the cars we built happened over a much shorter time frame than 6 months. We didn't even shake down the prototype car until April, 2007 and didn't finalize all the changes we made to the production cars until after that. Plus, Dustin was working as a mechanic on the Apex Racing Indy Lights team and was away from the shop for a great deal of time during the summer. Realistically, we built 2 cars in just over 3 months and it was grueling.
    2. The 3M Film Richard used on his car works awesome. I've seen track day people use it on their street cars to protect the paint, but not on a true race car. It is clear and even those stubborn tire rubber marks wipe right off of it. Richard's car looks as good today as when it rolled out of my trailer in Las Cruces. Yes, I delivered it personally.
    3. I also received several e-mail and PM comments from people that saw Richard's car at LaJunta, CO and they had a ton of praise for the simplicity and effectiveness of the design, as well as the build quality. Dustin is a talented engineer and fabricator and it shows.
    4. Like Richard, the Phoenix F1000 cars are above my driving ability and when I go out and race I know there's so much more that the car is capable of. Last Friday was the first time we've had a real "hot shoe" driver in the car and he was very impressed with the car and looks forward to driving it again. We do plan on running top-notch drivers in our cars this year to prove that this car is not only a well constructed car, but one of the fastest on the market.
    Within the next few days we will be making several new announcements and will also be launching our new website (which is way, way overdue). Stay tuned.

Matt Conrad
    Phoenix Race Works, LLC

Thread Information