Liked: 0

Default GRATTAN EWC RESULTS

Here are the results from Rounds #1 and #2 of the 2008 FF/CFF East vs West Challenge at Grattan Raceway May 24/25, 2008:

Round #1

1 Phil Kingham (Zink Z-10C, CFF, E)
    2 Dave Harmison (Royale RP-21, CFF, E)
    3 Allen Wheatcroft (Van Diemen RF98K, FF, W0
    4 Steve Beeler (Lola T-540, CFF, E)
    5 Joe Marcinski (Tiga FFA-78, CFF, E)
    6 Bruce Lindstrand (Tiga FFA-78, FF, W)
    7 Tom Stillwell (Swift DB-1, FF, W)
    8 John Haydon (Tiga FFA-80, CFF, W)
    9 Paul Quiniff (Lola T-540, CFF, W)
    10 Alan Murray (Crossle 45F, CFF, W)
    11 Gary Godula (Reynard 88F, FF,E)

Round #2

1 Kingham
    2 Wheatcroft
    3 Marcinski
    4 Stillwell
    5 Beeler
    6 Haydon
    7 Quiniff
    8 Murray
    9 Lindstrand
    10 Harmison
    DNS Godula

After 33 months, it was good to be back in the seat. The car was very good and looked great, mostly due to the excellent work of John Taylor (transaxle rebuild), John Adams (frame repairs), Bruce Kilcoyne (engine rebuild), and Chuck Brewer (fibreglass and paint). With a little more seat time, maybe the driver will catch up to the car...

The field was not large but the racing was very good both days. John Haydon has promised to post some in-car video clips somewhere on the internet, maybe YouTube. Details to follow.

Thank again to everyone who made it to Grattan for the series openers, especially those who towed from the other side of the lake or the east coast. Points and prize winners to follow soon.

The Blackhawk Farms EWC test day is 45 days and counting...

Steve Beeler, de facto EWC commissioner
    Lola T-540 HU44
    home: (734)416-8865 sbeeler@wowway.com
    office: (313)441-4460 x1141 sbeeler@pmcorp.com

Liked: 3

Thanks to WMR for trying something "a little different" -- that 7-lap qualifying sprint race on Sunday morning was the most fun I've had* without actually winning. I feel sorry for the people who missed it.

I keep watching the video to remind myself that yes indeed, I did actually keep up with Lindstrand, Marcinski, and Beeler for 7 whole laps.

*wearing pants

Default Sprint Race

WMR used the same format last year but If you screw up Sunday morning it puts you behind the 8 ball for the afternoon race. The "sprint" race is fun but you actually get less track time that way.
    Dave

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 854

Were all the CF guys on R60's?
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Contributing Member
    Liked: 49

Default R60s

Yes, I think all the CFF guys were on R60 tires. I know that Harmison, Beeler, and I were. This year, the rules allow just about any hard tire, but it looked like most if not all were still on the Hoosiers.

Bruce Lindstrand was on R35s in a Tiga that otherwise would have been run as CFF.

Phil Kingham

Default Special R35s

Bruce ran his special "2-2-2" tires: 2 sessions at the 2006 Runoffs, 2 winters sitting on the shelf, 2 races at Grattan on the club ford.

Those were the only tires available when he decided at 2:00 on thursday to throw the car into the trailer to bring up the car count.

Cindy

Default EWC Driver / Team Points

Here are the EWC driver and team championship point standings after Rounds #1 and #2 at Grattan...

Club Formula Ford

27 Phil Kingham, Zink Z-10C, E
    15 Joe Marcinski, Tiga FFA-78, E
    14 Steve Beeler, Lola T-540, E
    13 Dave Harmison, Royale RP-21, E
    11 John Haydon Jr, Tiga FFA-80, W
    9 Paul Quiniff, Lola T-540, W
    7 Alan Murray, Crossle 45F, W

Formula Ford

26 Allen Wheatcroft, Van Diemen RF98K, W
    16 Bruce Lindstrand, Tiga FFA-78, W
    16 Tom Stillwell, Swift DB-1, W
    8 Gary Godula, Reynard 88F, E

Lamont Cup Team Championship

85 West
    77 East

Rounds #3 and #4 at Blackhawk Farms are now only 42 days and counting...

Steve Beeler, de facto EWC commissioner
    Lola T-540 HU44

Liked: 280

Hi,

Many thanks to Steve Beeler, Tom Stillwell, Alan Murray and Bruce Lindstrand for their willingness to take the time to coach me around Grattan Raceway. For those of you who have never been there this is a really fun place to race. The blind apexes, off camber exits and the jump are really difficult, but what an interesting and fun place to race on.

I also want to echo John Haydon's comments on the Sunday morning sprint race. That was really fun. Nose to tail the entire race with really hard, but really clean racing. I thoroughly enjoyed racing with you guys and I am really looking forward to the Mid Ohio and Road America rounds.

For those readers who have not raced with the EWC; you need to make the time. This is a great group of guys to race with. I know that Tom Davey is famously quoted as saying that "gentlemen don't race Formula Ford", but this was really close, hard racing and done in a courteous and gentlemanly way. I am really disappointed that there is a conflict in my schedule that is going to cause me to have to miss the Blackhawk Farms race because that is another really fun club circuit.

Thanks again guys, it was really worth the price of the gas to go and race with you!

Joe M.

Default GRATTAN EWC AWARD WINNERS

Here's who won what at EWC Rounds #1 and #2 at Grattan Raceway Park...

SATURDAY ROUND #1

Club Formula Ford

Slow Qualifier ($100 shop labor credit from Schulz Automotive Machine): Alan Murray

First ($100 shop labor credit from Schulz Automotive Machine): Phil Kingham

Second (WIX racing oil filter from CARQUEST Auto Parts): Dave Harmison

Last Finisher ($50 shop labor credit from Schulz Motorsports): Alan Murray

Passing Bonus ($20 merchandise credit from Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies): Phil Kingham

Flag-to-Flag ($20 merchandise credit from Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies): n/a

Fast Lap ($50 manufactured products or shop credit from Two Dogg, Inc): Phil Kingham

Formula Ford

Slow Qualifier ($100 shop labor credit from Schulz Automotive Machine): Tom Stillwell

First ($100 shop labor credit from Schulz Automotive Machine): Allen Wheatcroft

Second (WIX racing oil filter from CARQUEST Auto Parts): Bruce Lindstrand

Last Finisher ($50 shop labor credit from Schulz Motorsports): Gary Godula

Passing Bonus ($20 merchandise credit from Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies): Allen Wheatcroft

Flag-to-Flag ($20 merchandise credit from Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies): n/a

Fast Lap ($50 manufactured products or shop credit from Two Dogg, Inc): Gary Godula

Prize Drawing

$50 merchandise from International Racing Products: Godula
    $50 merchandise from Shelter Systems: Kingham
    1-year susbcription to FormulaCar Maqazine: Murray
    $100 shop labor credit from Murray Motorsports: Stillwell / Quiniff
    Pair of nitrile mechanics gloves from Murray Motorsports: Everyone!
    $20 merchandise from Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies: Beeler
    25% transaxle service labor discount from Scott Church: Lindstrand / Marcinski

SUNDAY ROUND #2

Club Formula Ford

Slow Qualifier ($100 shop labor credit from Schulz Automotive Machine): Murray

First ($100 shop labor credit from Schulz Automotive Machine): Kingham

Second (WIX racing oil filter from CARQUEST Auto Parts): Marcinski

Last Finisher ($50 shop labor credit from Schulz Motorsports): Harmison

Passing Bonus ($20 merchandise credit from Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies): Marcinski

Flag-to-Flag ($20 merchandise credit from Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies): Kingham

Fast Lap ($50 manufactured products or shop credit from Two Dogg, Inc): Kingham

Formula Ford

Slow Qualifier ($100 shop labor credit from Schulz Automotive Machine): Stillwell

First ($100 shop labor credit from Schulz Automotive Machine): Wheatcroft

Second (WIX racing oil filter from CARQUEST Auto Parts): Stillwell

Last Finisher ($50 shop labor credit from Schulz Motorsports): Lindstrand

Passing Bonus ($20 merchandise credit from Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies): Stillwell

Flag-to-Flag ($20 merchandise credit from Pegasus Auto Racing Supplies): Wheatcroft

Fast Lap ($50 manufactured products or shop credit from Two Dogg, Inc): Wheatcroft

Steve Beeler, de factor EWC commisioner
    Lola T-540 HU44

Liked: 2

S***, i wish i could have been there i'm positive i could have beaten alan murray for slow qualifier!!!

Thread Information