Liked: 64

Default Cosworth Vega vs. Cosworth BD

Can someone tell me the difference between these two engines? HP? reliability? Cost to buy or rebuild? This would be for a early 70's 2 litre Can Am project.
    Thanks Wes Allen

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 416

Wes,

Not too comparable. Vega engine was tweaked by Cosworth and based on the alloy steel sleeved block. In stock configuration it is not suitable for much over about 220 hp due to block flex according to the gurus that know. IF you can find a steel GM racing block you are part way there and the motor can be built to make just shy of 300 hp, so it is comparable to a BDG. It's a bit bigger. I had the idea of putting one in an F2 chassis and running it. It would be acceptable to the vintage groups as Johnny Nich actually ran F2 with one. These blocks are not readily available. Cost, if you can find the parts, would be about half a BDG.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Liked: 141

Wes

My first comment is that I'm confused by your reference to "early 70's CanAm 2L" - I thought the 2Ls didn't show up until about 1978?

Regardless - regarding the engine - unlike Charlie I know nothing about the Cosworth Vega except that it existed. What you might like to consider is a 2L aluminum BD block, from someone like Steve Jennings, with a 1600 Atlantic head and carbs. The big expense with the BDG is the unique big valve, 10mm spark plug head and the mechanical injection. And the only real benefit is power output above 9,500. If you really need that then go for it. If not then think hard about my above suggestion. We've just dyno'd mine and got about 270 bhp at 8800 - I try to keep to a 9000 limit. I'm told the full BDG is no better at those RPM. I'm using 50mm Webbers but I think 48's (as on the 1600 Atlantic) would be just as good powerwise and slightly better driveability.

Of course the other alternative is the Cosworth YBM - cost effective ones turn up every so often - and aluminum blocked ones are not all that much heavier than the BDAs.

Liked: 126

I've seen people put the Cosworth Vaga head on the 2 liter Pinto. It can be done.

Liked: 0

Default Cosworth Vega Engine

I was reading in my book CHEVRON "The Derek Bennett Story" on the Cosworth Vega EA unit which Cosworth had been working on for some months for GM. It was bought down from 2.3 L to 1994cc's and the light alloy block gave it a weight advantage over the BDA's and 270 HP 25bph over the FVC. Brian Redman and Mike Hailwood drove a B19 Vega engined car. I don't think they finished a race. Over heating and loss of water were constant problems. Fast but would not last. Cosworth dropped the program soon after that. I would suggest an iron block.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by RobLav View Post
    I've seen people put the Cosworth Vaga head on the 2 liter Pinto. It can be done.
    rob can you give me any more information on this i would like to try it

Default Cosworth Head

I think you would be better off using the head off a 2.3 Quad Four HO and try to mate it to a Pinto Block. New castings are available. That head was also developed by Cosworth and probably more available. If you have the time, money and machine shop anything is possible. PM me if you like, I have contacts for intakes and header flanges and electrics for that head..
    Dave

Liked: 99

Default Cosworth Vega vs BD

Wes - I have a car that ran both engines.I have acquired a period correct BD series head and have a bottom end to go with it.It is a 2 ltr Can Am eldgible car as well.I would make you a sweet deal if you are interested.I also have the extra parts for the Cosworth Vega engine as well( radiator,motor mounts etc) to go with the car.call me 817-860-1985. Mike Sauce

Mike,

Email got bounced back. I might be interested. Can you email me at fattogatto@msn.com with particulars and pictures if available?

Cheers,
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

Default Hart 420R?

Would you not be better with a Hart 420R, sounds very similar in construction to the Vega, a lot stronger than the 2 litre BDG and they definitely work. From memory they came out in sports cars about 1973, F2 1976. Race Engine Design in UK make new parts for them also.

Default 420 Hart

Grant,
    I don't think he has that kind of money. There is one on www.Racecars.com for about $45,000.00 US It might be an older listing. He would them need a FT 200 to mate it to.
    Dave

Default 420r

Depends where you look, not long ago looked at an RT2 based hillclimb car complete with engine and box for about $20K pounds.

Default 420R

Quote Originally Posted by GrantM View Post
    Depends where you look, not long ago looked at an RT2 based hillclimb car complete with engine and box for about $20K pounds.
    I'm sure they are around Grant I find period engine's BDA's, FVC's ,M10's/12's are drawing big money. The 420R on racecars.com is current. the Cosworth Vega engine never overcame the overheating problems until later.(iron block) The Hart is a far better engine.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by GrantM View Post
    If this is the same car I looked at a couple of years ago the engine was not a true Hart 420 and the car had been somewhat modified. A real Hart 420 will be quite dear, as the others, as GM suggests. BTW, the price on that car has gone up. And there was no chassis number.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

Thread Information