Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Harry Sauce

Contributing Member
    Liked: 110

Default Harry Sauce

Talked to Mike sauce a little bit ago. His brother, Harry Sauce was severely injured at the race at Texas Motor Speedway this weekend. Not really sure of the details but of course it doesn't matter

Harry suffered multiple compound fractures in both legs and feet and his back is broken in 2 places. His left leg is in especially bad shape but there is no paralisys. It was my impression that Harry is at a hospital in Texas right now but will be taken to Indianapolis as soon as he is stable enough to make the trip.

Harry could use our thoughts and prayers right now.

I don't know what else we could do to help.

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

Things like this take the starch out of your collar.

Harry is a fine driver,

Not many people remember this but he had ride at Indianapolis in the early 90's before the split and performed extremely well in the Rookie Orientation Program.

Godspeed Harry

Liked: 3

Default Harry Sauce

Anyone have an address they can post where cards can be mailed?

Contributing Member
    Liked: 0

Sorry to hear this.my thoughts and prayers will be with him.

Tim Clowater

FF23

Yes I agree,
    Our thoughts and prayers are out to Harry. I was in the race and my crew said Harry was involved in a bad crash and expect it to go full coarse yellow any second. After I saw the crash, I couldn't understand why it didn't go immediately red flag, black flag, or checker. We did a bunch of full coarse yellow laps for no reason. What a sick feeling in impound.
    I had a fun race with Mike Sauce, and my race strategy backfired a little when the crash happened. In the end, I was glad Mike won.
    My thoughts and prayers go out to the entire Sauce family.
    Gerald.

Liked: 79

My thoughts and prayers are with him as well. Does anybody know what happened so we can learn from this?

FF23

I heard Harry and one of Mike Sauce's other customers were battling for 4th place. The 5th place car tried to go underneath entering the tight 180 sending you back onto the oval. It looked to me like Harrys car rolled and hit the oval concrete wall nearly head on and upside down. Maybe someone who actually saw it happen could tell us more.
    Gerald.

Default saddened by this event....

Every once in a while, something happens to remind us of the risks associated with this sport and how fragile life can be. Unfortunately this hits home too closely for us in the Apexspeed family.

If there is anything we can do to ease the situation and help both Harry and Mike through this time, please let us know.

I'm sure the Indianapolis facilty that was mentioned is an excellent one. There is an alternate facilty in Atlanta, named 'The Shepherd Center' that is specifically designed to aid in catastrophic accident rehabilitation. They primarily handle people who have been paralyzed by accidents (broken necks and various levels of back injury), but also have a brain injury facility. "luckily" this report says 'no paralysis' which is good news.

I have personal experience there because 10 years ago, my son suffered a broken neck in a diving accident near Chattanooga, TN and after initial stabilization, was transferred to Shepherd. That summer our family went through the most trying time we have had so far. Shepherd's rehab programs (physical, mental and lifestyle support) are designed to help both the patient and the family members learn the skills necessary to live as full a life as possible within the new parameters that have been incurred. Without their training and understanding, I am sure that we would not be in anywhere near the relatively good position we are now. Shepherd's programs and years of experience allowed us to adjust as quickly as possible to our new circumstances.

My cell phone numer is 404-310-4329. Call anytime.

It might be worthwhile to investigate Shepherd's programs for Harry and Mike and their families.

I did a google and got this:

Shepherd Center: Spinal Cord Injury Rehabilitation and Brain Injury

A nonprofit speciality hospital in Atlanta, Georgia, whose mission is to help people who have experienced a catastrophic injury or disease, ...
    www.shepherd.org/ - 12k - Cached - Similar pages
    About Shepherd Center
    Contact Us
    Employment
    Admissions and Referrals
    Research
    Center's Adolescent Program
    Photo Contest
    Search
    More results from shepherd.org ยป

Shepherd Center: Why Atlanta?

"Someone suggested Shepherd Center in Atlanta. Then we were contacted by a family whose child had undergone treatment at the center, and they suggested we ...
    www.shepherd.org/home/whyatl.asp - 15k - Cached - Similar pages

Thank you all for your kind words and prayers. We will tell Harry of your well wishes.

Please mail any cards to:

Harry Sauce
    3619 Yorkshire Dr.
    Arlington, TX 76013

He is alert and I am sure your cards would keep his spirits high.

Grace Sauce
    (Mike's wife)

Godspeed Harry on a quick recovery.

Liked: 3787

I think it's safe to say; We all want to know how Harry is doing... and we feel helpless. What can we do to help?
    If you need anything, let us know. The power of the Apexspeed community is pretty awesome when we get cranked up.

Wishing a speedy recovery!

Default Harry Sauce Fund

Please do keep checking the APEX sight. I have spoken with Mike and when things settle down just a bit either Mike or with help from a few of us the plan is to set a 501c charitable fund in Harry's name. He will truly be out of pocket for some time and financially he could use all the support the racing community can lend him. Financial support is not what he needs most, which is healing and godspeed, but meantime helping cover this burden will go a long ways. The support of the racing community at times like this are critical and all us I am sure would want the same rallying effort. Mike is an incredible guy and has given so much of his time and energy to support all of us. His family and most of all Harry will need the support and well wishes of the whole of us. Please do check back in a week or so if not before and hopefully something will be set up on the APEX sight.
    harvey kanter

Default Harry Sauce Recovery Fund

A fund has now been set up at Bank of America for the Harry Sauce Recovery Fund. Just visit any Bank of America and make a donation to the "Harry Sauce Recovery Fund" throughout the Unites States.

Harvey
    harvey kanter

Default Harry Sauce Recovery Fund "mailed Donations" address

The address for donations to be sent is as follows;

Harry Sauce Recovery Fund
    C/O Bank of America
    1440 Keller Parkway
    Keller, TX 76248
    harvey kanter

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 77

I'll pop over to B of A tomorrow. Somebody please tell me this was not a Formula Ford accident.
    I don't know the gentleman but this is catastrophic to say the least. i hope the fund generates enough to help.
    Hybels

Liked: 2

Default Crash

yep, FF
    racehailey

Contributing Member
    Liked: 110

Default Harry Sauce

Got an update from Mike yesterday.

Harry is in reasonable spirits, all things considered. He is upset about totalling Megans car which only proves he is a true racer. His biggest worry is about his business and what's going to happen to it while he's gone for several months.

On top of the multiple compound fractures to his legs and feet, he has a broken pelvis and his back is broken at lumbar 3 and 5. One of his vertabrae is pushed into his spinal canal but at this point is not causing any issues with loss of feeling anywhere. He also has a lacerated liver that has caused some internal bleeding. Then of course there is the concern for infection with the several severe open wounds on his legs.

Mike said when he is stable enough to make the trip, which will probably be a couple weeks, he will be flown to Indianapolis Methodist Hospital and Dr. Terry Trammell will do the work on his legs and feet. While I don't really understand the details, Mike said the flight to Indy is another risk because the pressurized cabin can cause blood clotting with the arterial damage he has.

Of course there is a BOD meeting this weekend and Mike is going to try and participate by phone during the discusions on The Runoffs and any new national racing plan. Talk about sacrificing your time for the club.

Harry, Mike and the whole Sauce family, hang in there. You've got a lot of friends out here thinking about you

Default Possible BOA Weblink

Copy put together by Bob Featherly, also a contributor. He suggests: " A web link to this fund at BOA would get more people to contribute immediately after reading the posts or learning via other resources. We all procrastinate when having to travel anywhere today.I pulled together below from the posts.":

Harry suffered multiple compound fractures in both legs and feet and his back is broken in 2 places. His left leg is in especially bad shape but there is no paralisys. It was my impression that Harry is at a hospital in Texas right now but will be taken to Indianapolis as soon as he is stable enough to make the trip.[

I heard Harry and one of Mike Sauce's other customers were battling for 4th place. The 5th place car tried to go underneath entering the tight 180 sending you back onto the oval.

It looked to me like Harry's car rolled and hit the oval concrete wall nearly head on and upside down. Maybe someone who actually saw it happen could tell us more.

My crew said Harry was involved in a bad crash and expect it to go full coarse yellow any second. After I saw the crash, I couldn't understand why it didn't go immediately red flag, black flag, or checker. We did a bunch of full coarse yellow laps for no reason. What a sick feeling in impound.

Harry is a fine driver. Not many people remember this but he had ride at Indianapolis in the early 90's before the split and performed extremely well in the Rookie Orientation Program.

Godspeed Harry

I join Bob in those wishes, in spades

The race should have been red or black flagged ASAP, as I tried--I admit, ineffectively, with shaking fist-- to communicate to the starting stand.
    Last edited by Jack Walbran; 05.08.08 at 7:55 PM.

Liked: 99

Default Harry Sauce

Well it has been a very difficult week for Harry dealing with his injuries.This afternoon at around 1:00 pm he had surgery on his right leg.It was successful and they were also able to close the wound up.The wound was 20cm long.This was the first of 6 or more surgeries he will need.He was care flighted tonight to Indianapolis Methodist hospital so Dr. Terry Trammell can work his magic.Harry has many surgeries ahead of him an under the best case scenario probably will not walk for at least 3-4 months.We need all the prayers and help we can get.The fund will hopefully help support Harry and his family during the next few months as he will not be able to work until he can walk..Thanks to everyone who contributed.Thanks to the Apexspeed community for all the kind words. Mike Sauce

Liked: 78

I just want to say thank you to everyone. Your nice words and support has been such a great help for our whole family. Please keep Harry and our family in your thoughts and prayers. Thank you again so much.

Megan

FF23

My check is going in the mail today. Sorry for the delay. Thanks to all who are helping out.
    Gerald.

Default Harry Sauce

Harry had a 6.5 hour surgery yesterday to repair the damage to is left leg.The surgery went well and he is decent spirits.As soon as he is able he will start rehabilitation.Thanks for all the well wishes.We will keep everyone in Apexspeed family aware of his condition. Thanks Mike Sauce

Contributing Member
    Liked: 100

my best to harry, met him years ago. hope his recovery goes smoothly.
    i do have a question though. why do some feel that the race should have been red or black flagged? did the cars being on the track hamper the rescue efforts?

mark d

FF23

I didn't see how it could have possibly helped. One time we went by it looked like the workers were trying to pull him out of the car while it was still upside down. There was at least one worker directing traffic. It looked like a horrible situation to me. I don't think it was good to view that lap after lap. I was wondering what Mike was thinking, knowing that was his brother in the car and it was taking an awful long time to get him out. I actually thought Mike was going to say F'it and stop next to the accident. If he did, I probably would have also. A race just isn't that important.
    Gerald.

Liked: 123

Coincidentally I'm sure Robin Miller mentioned Harry Sauce in his questions and answers column today. Talking about one-off tries at Indy. So I googled Harry and read a bit about his career. Godspeed and do well.

Brian

Default SCCA Publicity

I asked Club Racing if there is an accepted means for publicizing this fund, but have not yet heard back. I'd appreciate anyone's thoughts on this, on or offline at john.walbran@bryancave.com.

As for flagging the race. the track was at least half blocked, the emergency crews, including the medical folks, were trying to take care of Harry in car, on track, the corner workers were going crazy with waving yellows, and we were just circulating, looking and driving face on at a very hurt man who didn't need that. That's my perspective.

Go Harry.

Jack

Liked: 79

My thoughts and prayers to Harry and his family. Wishing him a speedy recovery.

Contributing Member

how far into the race did this happen? remember that the race has to go at least halfway to be considered complete. if this happened early on, and the yellow flag laps were not hampering the rescue efforts, it was the proper thing for the officials to go fcy and complete the race thus staying on schedule. in situations like that you can't personally help the rescue effort. this might sound coldhearted but it's part of the sport. on the other hand if it was a few laps from the end, and it was apparent that the cleanup would not be done in time, a black flag would have made sense.
    one last thought. with the exception of mike, which would be understandable, the last thing the rescue workers need is other cars stopping at the scene.
    mark d.

FF23

I believe it was a 20 lap race and happened on lap 8. They black flagged us on lap 13. We completed 12 laps. I do understand the need for 1/2 the laps to get a finish. It just seemed to me they could have black flagged it on lap 9 and sent us out for 2 fcy laps after Harry was mediflighted out of there. I'm sure it took a while to clean up the mess after Harry was helicoptered out of there.

Contributing Member

sounds to me like the officials made the right call. i mean really, what would the black flag have accomplished?

mark d

Liked: 210

Actually, we had a somewhat similar thing happen out here last year early in a race but it included fire. RED FLAG was thrown, drivers stopped in a very orderly fashion and several got out of their cars with fire bottles to help us fight the fire. Driver was life flighted out in less then 25 minutes of the incident. Life does come before racing.

The positive reports on Harry are really a blessing to hear.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

The fund is being publicized on the SCCA website

It has what happened and where to send donatins.

Liked: 9

Default Fund

When you log into the SCCA site, the fund is on the front page.

Good job SCCA.
    Dean
    Wolf GB08
    Austin
    www.motorsports-sw.com

I was one of the first ones to reach Harry's car and helped turn the car upright. I just happened to be standing in the right place and at the right time to help as my car retired from the race. I was doing what I could to make Harry comfortable while we waited for the rescue people to show up. I don't know Harry but I'm glad to hear he is going to be OK. There really wasn't anything to gain from others stopping to help and once ems got there I got out of their way. I wish I knew why it took so long to throw a black flag.

Default Harry Sauce Recovery Fund

I have had emails from many wanting to contribute to Harry's fund but having problems with finding the account.Please have the teller at Bank America use Mike Sauce to find the account it will come up easily.Thanks to everyone. Mike Sauce

Default Black Flag

Chris: Saw you out there and glad you made it across to help righting the car.

On the black flag issue, it was a judgment call and, in my view, certainly not one that warrants disciplinary review.

That said, looking toward learning, I posit that serious consideration should be given to at least black flagging, if not red flagging, any race in which an injured driver is trapped in or cannot safely be removed from an on track car , particularly when being attended to in that on track position. The more serious the apparent injury, the greater the track blockage, the more obvious the call that should be made.

You saw it closest. Driving, I didn't want to be as close as it felt like we were.

At that point, the schedule issue became entirely secondary--in my opinion. In any event, there was no schedule threat on this day.

Jack

Default Influence

Quote Originally Posted by M.Sauce View Post
    Well it has been a very difficult week for Harry dealing with his injuries.This afternoon at around 1:00 pm he had surgery on his right leg.It was successful and they were also able to close the wound up.The wound was 20cm long.This was the first of 6 or more surgeries he will need.He was care flighted tonight to Indianapolis Methodist hospital so Dr. Terry Trammell can work his magic.Harry has many surgeries ahead of him an under the best case scenario probably will not walk for at least 3-4 months.We need all the prayers and help we can get.The fund will hopefully help support Harry and his family during the next few months as he will not be able to work until he can walk..Thanks to everyone who contributed.Thanks to the Apexspeed community for all the kind words. Mike Sauce

Really sorry tohear about Harry. 30 years ago I mowed his yard and he instilled a passion for racing. Never forget sand blasting that junk yard Triumph Spitfire and dragging engines from the junk yard. That's been a long time ago and have worked in things from SCCA, IMSA, ASA and Nascar regional series since. Never drove any cars, but got a lot of satisfaction in preparing them. I wish Harry all the best and a speedy recovery...

Liked: 58

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Walbran View Post
    ...That said, looking toward learning, I posit that serious consideration should be given to at least black flagging, if not red flagging, any race in which an injured driver is trapped in or cannot safely be removed from an on track car , particularly when being attended to in that on track position. The more serious the apparent injury, the greater the track blockage, the more obvious the call that should be made.....
    If I may.....The Operating Steward has to make decisions on information available at that time.

In this case the Op Stew went fcy and put the safety car out as soon as the accident happened, he did not know if Harry was hurt or if he was going to climb out ok. If he was not hurt, it would be reasonable to expect to clear the debris in a few laps and restart the race.

As soon as they knew Harry's condition they blackflagged and ended the race.

IMHO the Op Stew did it right.

Jack Marr-Chief Steward, Sunburn '08

Liked: 1

Default Having

Followed this thread with interest, and wishing Harry well, I think Jack has nailed the issue well, and that the correct action was taken, as a CoC, I will not go Red flag in a race, untill I have all information, and base what happens next in light of that.

Roger

Default Thanks for Insight

Jack:

Thanks for the insight on the actual decision. I appreciate it. The way I read it, we agree on the criteria and that's what the discussion was about.

Go Harry.

Jack Walbran

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information