Thread: fuel pump

Liked: 0

Default fuel pump

Several months ago there was a good discussion either here or over on the Sports Racer site, about good deals on fuel pumps. No way can I find it now. So I am shopping for a pump that is affordable and has threads so I can use -6 fittings at least on the pressure side. Something like Aeromotive is nice but too much for my budget.

TIA

Billy

Liked: 3

Default I think I know what you are looking for

i use a 45psi in-tank pump from PeterDMotorsports.com and as far as I am concerned it is the ticket for high pressure Suzuki F.I. motors.

www.peterdmotorsports.com

Sean

Default Bosch Unit

We're using a Bosch in-tank unit that appears to work well. If you want one, I can get you a price. Here's the link:

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/show...642#post127642
    Ian MacLeod
    "Happy Hour: 5:00 - 5:30"
    Tatuus F1k

Liked: 553

Billy, there are lots of options if you are in the early stages. However, if you've already got the complete system planned and know what you want, I think Google is the best way to find a pump with the characteristics you desire (threads, pressure, etc.).

Do you want to tell us about what you've got thus far? Maybe we'll have some various ideas for you to kick around.

The in-tank option is pretty popular. My car uses a low pressure pump (not in-tank) to get fuel from the cell, and then a stock motorcycle pump to feed the FI. Pump was $10 on ebay.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Default Stock Suzuki Fuel System

I've got the same setup as Russ, I wonder where he got the idea! I have a simple Facet low pressure pump mounted down low in a side pod that feeds a fabricated aluminum canister with the stock Suzuki Hayabusa intank 43PSI FI pump mounted in the bottom it, just like they are mounted in the bottom of the Busa's gas tank. I can buy the Busa pumps on Ebay for about $25.00 with 50 miles on them. (that's how far some of the new Busa riders ride before they total out their brand new bike!) This system works great & nothing is inside the fuel cell if you need to replace it. The Suzuki FI pump is a simple self regulated pump with no return lines.
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Looks like I'm the odd man here as I am not using an in tank set up. I'm using the Rex Marine filter. My 04 R1 has its own regulator on the fuel rail. So I just need a suitable inline pump.

Thanks again, Billy

Liked: 710

I'm planning on using this pump on my '07 R1:
    http://store.summitracing.com/partde...0&autoview=sku

I know of two FI R1 cars that are using it with success. No need for dual pumps.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Get your FIA rain lights here:
    www.gyrodynamics.net/product/cartek-fia-rain-light/

Liked: 126

Mike,

I need a pump too for my 06 R1. How about we talk on the phone.

Rob

Interesting topic.
    Quote Originally Posted by formulasuper View Post
    I've got the same setup as Russ, I wonder where he got the idea!
    Scott, your set up "re-inspired" me, but the first time I had it on a race car was in the late 1980's.

Mike/Rob/Billy,

What have you decided to run for filters? Just curious if you are installing them before or after the pump.

Mike B,

I agree two pumps aren't needed, but one advantage to having a set up like Scott's & mine is that the primary (high pressure) pump will always have a positive feed of fuel, right up until there is no more fuel to be picked up in the cell. A single pump set up may start sending air bubbles to the engine once the in-tank pick up starts to get partially uncovered. To overcome that you'll need to run extra fuel, right?
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Scott, Russ - you guys might know...

I have a setup from my old SuperVee - a Bosch lower pressure pump which fed the high pressure mechanical injection pump. You guys know the fuel pressure off hand out of that Bosch pump? I also have one of those aluminum fuel cans with a one way valve. Am thinking of using the entire setup.

Not sure yet which side I'll put the filter - probably the pressure side. Don't want a large volume of gas under vacuum near the exhaust!

I built my exhaust to go out the left side, rather than the right. My first attempt at making my own. 16.5" header length into a tri-Y. Gotta love that Tig welder.

The MSD pump looks like just what I was looking for. And the price is right. I'm going to call their tech dept. and ask if those hose barbs can be unscrewed and a different adapter threaded back in, so I can use -6 fittings. They may be molded in place. Anybody know?

Liked: 710

I plan on putting my filter on the suction side. That way I can use a cheaper filter and hose clamps. If it's on the pressure side the engine will be protected if the pump grenades but that is an unlikely scenario (famous last words...)

Billy,
    The inlet looks like it unscrews (don't know the thread size) but the outlet is molded in. I haven't plumbed mine yet so I can't tell you the best way.

Rob,
    I'll call you tomorrow (free minutes). Sound okay?
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Get your FIA rain lights here:
    www.gyrodynamics.net/product/cartek-fia-rain-light/

Quote Originally Posted by RobLav View Post

I have a setup from my old SuperVee - a Bosch lower pressure pump which fed the high pressure mechanical injection pump. You guys know the fuel pressure off hand out of that Bosch pump? I also have one of those aluminum fuel cans with a one way valve. Am thinking of using the entire setup.

Not sure yet which side I'll put the filter - probably the pressure side. Don't want a large volume of gas under vacuum near the exhaust!

I built my exhaust to go out the left side, rather than the right. My first attempt at making my own. 16.5" header length into a tri-Y. Gotta love that Tig welder.
    Rob, My SV Bosch pump mounted down by the fuel cell put out 90 PSI. Gauge read 90 as soon as I flipped the switch for it.
    Scott Woodruff

Sorry. I can't help you out with the FSV info. I changed my engine to carbs. Maybe your Bosch pump has a PN and that will help you find out the pressure.

There are good reasons for having the filters before and after the pumps. After waffling a bit, I ended up with an easily accessible filter before the low pressure pump to catch the big stuff like cell foam, then a higher quality, high pressure rated, Bosch filter between the high pressure pump and the injectors. I've heard of some people having issues when stuff clogs injectors, and I really wanted to avoid that.

If you are doing something like Scott & me (simply supplying fuel to a separate container), the pressure and flow for the first low pressure pump isn't critical, as long as it is a little more flow than the engine needs. I'm assuming that any extra fuel sent to the can will overflow back into the fuel cell. If so, then there really isn't any pressure at all in that "supply" system.

I wish I could suddenly acquire TIG welding equipment and skills. I'm envious. :-). Will we see pictures in your FB Car Building thread soon?
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Mike - Calling tomorrow is good. I have that nose to talk about too (the car nose).

Scott - thanks for info. 90 PSI is way more than we'll need. Looks like Mike's pump idea or a pump from an 03 R1 or older Hayabusa might work.

Russ - I posted a couple pics on the "building" site a while back. I've been busy the last week in work - did 95 hours of work and 20 hours of driving in 6.75 days. Done now. I was thinking of using that fuel can with only one fuel pump after the can. Basically let gravity collect the fuel in the can. You think that will work?

Contributing Member
    Liked: 96

The hose barb on the 2225 doesn't unscrew. I've used it on several builds and it works well. I use push lock hose and a hose clamp (not my favorite method) but hasn't leaked.

Scott - thanks for info. 90 PSI is way more than we'll need. Looks like Mike's pump idea or a pump from an 03 R1 or older Hayabusa might work.

Russ - I posted a couple pics on the "building" site a while back. I've been busy the last week in work - did 95 hours of work and 20 hours of driving in 6.75 days. Done now. I was thinking of using that fuel can with only one fuel pump after the can. Basically let gravity collect the fuel in the can. You think that will work?
    Rob, Using the can mounted low like Ralt did should work, but as Russ said, having a low pressure pump sucking the fuel from the cell & keeping the can full will allow you to run with less initial fuel load. I think you know this from what you said about using an older Busa pump, but the first couple of years the Busa used an externally mounted pump which I considered using myself to avoid the canister fabrication, however since it is much more complicated with several hose connections I decided to use the intank pump that has it's own built in pressure regulator & only the one hose connection directly to the fuel rail.
    Scott Woodruff

Liked: 80

George Dean recommend I use the Walbro GSL-392 (aka the "255 lph walbro") common on street cars. It has M10x1.0 threads that you can put a -6AN adapter into (summitracing.com has these, P/N RUS-670480)

I sourced mine for about $100 from eBay, and the adapters from Summit. Works like a charm.

-Jake
    (Hayabusa Radical)

Thread Information