Liked: 0

Default EWC NEWS 03/27/08

At 58 days and counting before the season opener at Grattan, here's the latest series news:

Schedule The schedule is in a state of flux. Western Ohio Region lost their October date at Mid-Ohio. While there has been some shuffling of the GLDiv schedule, for now the EWC will remain at four double-regional weekends:

May 24/25 Grattan Raceway Park (Western Michigan Region)
    July 12/13 Blackhawk Farms Raceway (Blackhawk Valley Region)
    August 9/10 Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course (Cincinnati Region)
    September 13/14 Road America (Chicago Region)

Race Groups Tentatively, there will be FF/CFF only race groups at Grattan and Blackhawk. However, we must deliver the cars or we'll be combined with another race group. Therefore, it is especially important to enter early (and often) for these races. At Mid-Ohio, we'll be sharing the track with the GLC FC/CFC cars. We'll be paired with FV/FFirst/F500 at Road America.

Alternate CFF Tires/Chassis We need to do something to get the CFF car counts up. Here again are the first two somethings:

Following the lead of the FF40th, CFF drivers will have a choice of "hard" restricted performance tires in 2008: Hoosier R60 compound slick, Goodyear 600 compound slick, American Racer 133 compound slick, Dunlop CR82 or CR84 9092 compound tread, and Sumitomo HTR-200 tread. No matter where in North America you race a CFF, you are welcome to make a guest appearance at at an EWC weekend....on your usual tires.

Additionally, non-competitive Formula Fords will be allowed in CFF on a case-by-case basis. Don't let pride get in your way if you have such a beast in your garage. It may be welcome as a CFF in the 2008 EWC. Let's talk.

I've alerted the EWC partner regions on these two CFF growth initiatives. In 2008, it may be necessary to enter as a FF and then be "internally" scored as a EWC CFF. Therefore, if you want to take advantage of the expanded CFF tire/chassis options, then you must let me know ahead of time. I'll post a list of all "approved" alternate CFF entries before each EWC weekend.

Contingency Program Jon Jeffords is working hard to this year's goodie package. Details to follow.

I'm making good progress re-assembling my car. I expect to have all the parts attached to it and ready for fluids in the next couple of weeks. See you all at the Grattan test day...

Steve Beeler, de facto EWC commissioner
    Lola T-540 HU44
    home: (734)416-8865 sbeeler@wowway.com
    office: (313)441-4460 x1141 sbeeler@pmcorp.com

Default Expanded CFF Candidates?

I am surprised that no one has offered up any candidate chassis for expanded CFF eligibility. So I got my Nickless book out tonight and here are some thought starters...

Crossle 50F / 55F
    Lola T640 / T642 / T644
    Reynard FF82 / FF83
    Royale RP29 / RP31M
    Van Diemen RF82 / RF83 / RF84

I would imagine that these cars were built/imported in sufficient quantities that some of them are in barns collecting dust. If you've got one and are interested in racing it in the EWC as a CFF, let's talk. Everyone wins when car counts are up.

Lola T-540 HU44

Default A Penny For Your Thoughts...

Racers in other parts of the country are welcome to weigh in on alternative CFF spec tires and expanded CFF chassis eligibility. What we do (or don't do) in the 2008 EWC will influence the FF40th CFF rules in 2009.

The countdown to the EWC series opener at Grattan is at 40 days and counting. Still plenty of time to dust off that "tweener" car in your shop. Everyone wins when car counts are up.

Lola T-540 HU44

Liked: 3

Steve and Jon, would this be a good time to mention that Pegasus will be continuing our support of the EWC series for 2008... and I am planning to have the Tiga at Grattan.

Liked: 3

Default Two Tigas

John:

This will be cool - I think we're bringing my Tiga to Grattan also.

Default Grattan EWC Recruiting Update

I sent out 64 personal recruiting e-mails tonight. I'll wait a couple of days for the replies to flood (trickle?) in and then I'll start a "first look" entry list thread. Additionally, I'll post the over/under for all of you who like to bet on such things.

I am going back out to the shop to work on my car now which is what you should be doing if you are reading this...

Lola T-540 HU44

Liked: 280

Hi Steve,

I am planning on attending the Grattan race as well. Looks like it might be a mini Tiga reunion.

Joe Marcinski
    Tiga FFA 78

Liked: 313

Good to hear you're coming out Joe! Any chance you can drag Steve Roux out too? We need more Royales.

Dave Harmison

Liked: 280

Hi Dave,

I mentioned it to Steve this past weekend, but I am not sure what he might do. We had a really fun race at Summit Point yesterday. Mike Kelley, Steve, Chuck VanNostrand and I all finished nose to tail. See in Michigan in a few weeks.

Joe M.

Thread Information