Liked: 123

Default VIR in a month...

The VDCA event at VIR is on in a month, same weekend as the Pro F2K season opener. I know of at least 4 Club and Vintage FFords coming down from Canada. Anyone else going?

I have to say that I am REALLY looking foward to getting noisy and driving in circles again!

Brian

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

Brian,
    My intention is to run the ex-John Gaither Van Diemen RF-81 which is being delivered to me at the track that weekend.
    Now, as the manager of the F2000 Championship Series this may prove problematical, though some time with a helmet on so I can't be bothered by any of the expected 45-50 car field will be a nice break I think.
    2008 is the third year of the series and while growth always contributes complication the staff has been doing their jobs long enough, know all the players, and can easily get along without me for the open wheel VDCA sessions.
    I hope.
    The car is coming on Hoosiers but I may bring a set of Dunlops to stick on it.
    It seems to me that last year they had 6-7-8 Fords between the vintage and club classes, though many chose not to run in Sundays monsoon.
    We checkered the second F2000 race that afternoon at half distance in ridiculous conditions.

Not totally sure but I think the vintage guys require Dunlops on all cars in that run group - they do mix vintage and club. though. Sasco is a Dunlop dealer and is based at the track, so a nice new set is just a check away...

Brian

I thought the same thing but in 2007 there were Vintage Fords on Dunlops and Club Fords on slicks.
    I am prepared and happy either way, I have a set of Dunlops I scrubbed last summer just waiting to play.They are certainly create a way more fun driving experience than slicks.
    I keep telling the regional guys here in the Northest they are expensive to buy but cheap to run, I ran one set over 25 heat cycles last season on a Crossle 30F and they are not even close to done yet. And just about as fast anyway from my experience.
    You asked about Lime Rock on a PM, yes, it is closed for the month of June to repave/rebuild/rewhatever, so both of the June Regionals are not going to happen.
    And once again the NARRC Runoffs, the season ending Regional in September, is a conflict with Mosports Can Am FF race. Damn.....

Liked: 2

Default Ready to race

Hey Mikey,
    I'll be taking my Zink to CMP next weekend for it's maiden voyage with me at the helm. If all goes well, I'll be there at VIR to see if I can kick your butt down here. Never had any luck at doing that so far.

The first debut for the car last Summer resulted in a no oil pressure situation after 3 laps at Road America. I finally got a new engine installed. It actually ran for the first time last Sat. and it sounded pretty nice. Oil pressure was good. All things look go if Joe Stimola can get my shocks to me before next Wed.

See ya when I see ya.

Mike

Liked: 0

Hi all,

Being as my crew chief/prep shop is coming to VIR to run the Pro F2000 race and I'll be there covering the event, I thought about running, but alas my car isn't ready yet and I don't have my new helmet. Maybe next year. In any case, looking forward to watching FF on course. BTW, is there pre-event testing for the FF guys. I know the F2000 have testing.

Cheers,
    Allan Craighead
    eFormulaCarNews.com Managing Editor
    (226) 808-9472 Cell
    acraighead@howdenmediagroup.com

As far as I know Al the answer to the Pre-VDCA FF testing question is no.
    We, F2000 Championship Series, have 4 hours on Thursday the 17th but with a 40 plus field expected we won't allow any 1600's on track sharing, it will be plenty crowded, no extra traffic needed.
    The tentative VDCA schedule has FF in with all open wheelers and sports racers and on track 3 times on Friday for over an hour in total, 3 times on Sat for the same, and twice on Sunday-warmup and "Feature" race.

Plus VDCA usually runs a gimmick race and an enduro that they allow FFords to join. Not sure if anyone can run an hour on one tank, but it's usually pretty fun.

Brian

also, the normal drill for this race is that the VDCA entrants are held at registration until 5 pm on Thursday, so that the people who are on track are not hindered by rigs rolling in all day.

Big long line, and registration is open so you get that done.

Brian

We, F2000, are sharing the track with the VIR Club folks, not on track at the same time obviously, and it seems some reasonable number of those people also run with either VDCA or BMWCCA.
    The weekend is VDCA-F2000-BMWCCA, interesting paddock.......
    Our last session is not over until 6:15PM so paddock congestion and traffic problems will still be evident as incoming rigs start maneuvering around as F2000 cars come and go from the hot pits.

Brian, you are correct, according to Mike Jackson, Grandwazoo [his term for himself and his email address....] of VDCA, all CF/VF MUST be on treaded tires, I stand corrected.

Thread Information