Liked: 3

Default 2008 F1000 Feature Races

Dating back to the ARRC last year, we had discussed trying to 'mass' the F1000 racers at a few feature events this year.

After some false starts with the Runoffs inclusion confusion, there seems to be general agreement on the ARRC again as our "National Championship" event.

The June Sprints seems like another popular choice for a tribal gathering.

What other event(s) can we try to establish as features?

The ARRC really built up the excitement level about F1000, but the off season was too quiet. It is time to get everyone stoked back up and out to the track. The VIR Double National is just around the corner. Any takers?

Sean

Liked: 553

VIR is a great track and not too far from me. If I'm convinced by then that my car is reliable and I'm not too slow, I'd like to do the Dbl Nat'l there.

June Sprints is tempting, but probably too costly for me to get there.

Thanks for stoking the fire.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 202

To help continue building the GTA fires we've developed the "2008 GTA National Tour". Each of the five areas around the country that run GTA have designated a single race that will be part of the Tour with the ARRC being the final round. Obviously no one is going to hit every round, so you can only count your best three events. That way each driver gets a local event, a "travel" event, then the ARRC in November. The winner at Road Atlanta is still the "National champion", but being the Tour Champion carries similar (if not greater) prestige.

March 29-30: Sonoma
    April 19-20: TWS (with NASA)
    May 10-11: VIR
    June 14-15: HPT
    August 9-10: Daytona
    November 7-9: ARRC by GRM

Since GTA is a regional-only class we can't do National races, but maybe you guys come up with a similar plan for FB/F1000?

BK
    Butch Kummer
    2006, 2007, 2010 SARRC GTA Champion

Liked: 0

We've done a similar thing with the FE class via the FCM FE Championship Series. Drivers enjoy it, as it virtually ensures larger fields at a select number of races.

Cheers,
    Allan Craighead
    eFormulaCarNews.com Managing Editor
    (226) 808-9472 Cell
    acraighead@howdenmediagroup.com

Myself (Kyle Oberndorf) and Nicholas Belling will be coming to the June Sprints and ARRC races in our Stohr's.
    I would like to see a race or two on the west coast or central states where some of the easterns come to attend.
    Perhaps the Rose Cup in Portland would be a decent weekend (May 30-June 1).
    Anyone from the south or east interested in joining us in Portland?

Cheers
    Kyle

Contributing Member Richard Dziak's Avatar

How about entertaining the idea of a East Coast race and West Coast race so that F1000 owners from the West or Southwest or Northwest would not have to tow so far. Same for the East coasters towing to the West. Perhaps somewhere in Texas, a neutral tow for all.

Where are most of the f1000 cars at....East...Central.....West?

Great class, lots of fun to drive these cars.
    Richard Dziak
    Las Cruces, New Mexico
    Former Phoenix F1K-07 F1000 #77 owner/driver
    email: sonewmexico@gmail.com

Default Great Idea!

I think this is a great idea. We have already had a couple of races down here, but realize that it is not 75 degrees everywhere in the country right now . We will be attending the Sprints and the ARRC. I would offer up two other events that we will be attending which might be possible for other F1000's to get together. A total of four potential F1000 events for us besides the regular SOWDIV races.

- May 3-4, Texas Motor Speedway, Double National
    - June 20-22, Road America, June Sprints
    - August 30-September 1, Barber Motorsports Park, Double SAARC
    - November 7-9, Road Atlanta, ARRC

We will also offer to do the write ups and photos for the F1000's specifically for TMS and Barber because we have a semi-professional photographer on our team. I am sure others will be at the Sprints and ARRC to recap.

As always, we have our Stohr available for rent. Soon to have an 07' motor from George.

Let's get more of these cars to the track and get this season underway. It still amazes me how much attention these cars attract at each event.

Jeff Dinges
    The Motorsports Group
    www.tmgracer.com

How about the Race of Champions at Mid Ohio May31-June1.

Liked: 702

Quote Originally Posted by Frenzy88 View Post
    How about the Race of Champions at Mid Ohio May31-June1.
    Is that a regional or national?

I had committed to put together a (hopefully) inclusive list of all F1000 owners/drivers/constructors/etc. in an effort to generate interest in a series of "showcase" events to build national numbers, the goal being a Runoffs invite in '09 (assuming a better venue... ). Unfortunately, I've been derelict in that endeavor and apologize to the folks that have sent me their info but haven't been added yet.
    That list might help pinpoint some likely geographical locations where there is a concentration of F1000s that could populate a relatively local event.
    Right now, it looks like the June Sprints will be the first such event and I'm glad to hear how many guys will be coming, even though it means I'll need to step up my program a bit...
    To that end, I'd be happy to be the contact point and liason for that event and will try to make it a special event. Not on the level of the ARRC, but decent. Any volunteers to help would be appreciated, too!

Beyond that, I would encourage any other discussion to center around national events, primarily to help build the class, get visibility to other potential F1000 competitors, and earn the Runoffs invite.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

I will be at the Sprints and ARRC racing this year so I will see all the characters there. I just need to actually get my damn car here and I'll be set.

Oh yeah and put the motor in, and wire it all, and make my seat and and and....

If you wanted a set of feature races I would go Sebring, Sprints, Laguna, and the Glen followed with the decider at the ARRC. That way you hit all the main geographic areas.
    John Stecher - Rochester Minnesota
    http://twitter.com/johnstecher - Follow me on Twitter
    http://www.trackpedia.net/blogs/john/ - My Blog
    http://www.trackpedia.com - The world's premier race track reference

Default Feature Events

With the season already well underway, I would suggest that at this point we concentrate our efforts on adding 1-2 more 'feature' events.

Current F1000 Feature Schedule:
    June Sprints - Road America mid June
    ARRC - Road Atlanta - November

It seems like we should as Mike suggests concentrate on National entries (and we have to makea major effort to get the cars out ASAP). The logical gaps are before and after the Sprints. Maybe a more central and/or western theme for thos events to spread out the geographic opportunities?

At this point I personally am looking at running the following races over the next few months. I challenge as many of you as possible to join me... (I am willing to alter this schedule if someone can come up with alternate 'feature' dates that I can realistically make).

March - Roebling Road National
    April - VIR Double National
    May - Summit Point National
    June - June Sprints - F1000 Feature Event
    July - Savannah Double National
    August - CMP (Kershaw, SC) National
    November - ARRC F1000 Feature Event

So if I can remain reliable and crash free I can account for 8 National entries this year.

Sean

Contributing Member Nicholas Belling's Avatar
    Liked: 1

Default My input on another Feature race.

As kyle said earlier..

June sprints, and Road Atlanta we will be at.

But perfect west coast dates for a feature race could be.

Pacific Raceways (Seattle International Raceway) - may 24 - 26 - Double National
    or
    Portland International Raceway - May 30th, June 1st Rose Cup National / Regional - Brand new repaved track with mods.

But what could be absolutely fabulous is having a 3rd feature race at the new Miller Motorsports park facility in Utah.. Its a Double National weekend on May 24 - 26th.

Whats everyones thoughts on these 3 ? and picking one of the 3 either west coast or more central utah for an addition to our already known 2 feature races..
    Nicholas Belling
    email@nicholasbelling.com
    Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Liked: 126

How about the Watkins Glen National in July? Or Mosport?

Liked: 11

I like the format Butch is using... pick 8 or so races, take the best 3-4 finishes & assign points, then let the ARRC be the championship (points doubled? 50% more?)
    So we have June Sprints, and the ARRC- everyone agrees to those.

Barber is an awesome track... so is VIR

From all the other posts:

March - Roebling Road National
    April - VIR Double National
    May - Summit Point National, Pacific Raceways double, Portland International, Miller Motorsports, Texas Motor Speedway,
    June - June Sprints - F1000 Feature Event
    July - Savannah Double National, Watkins Glen
    August - CMP (Kershaw, SC) National
    Aug/ September- Barber double
    November - ARRC F1000 Feature Event

We need to decide on some of these and come up with something for May!
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Liked: 702

I've finally updated the F1000 registry:
    http://www.mike-beauchamp.com/f1000/f1000registry.xls
    There are still some blanks so please read it over and contact me with any changes or additions. I'd especially like everyone's e-mail address to contact those with vested interest in rules changes, event info, etc.

It might be an over-simplification but if the list is sorted by state, we could get an idea of where the cars are concentrated. Just a quick glance shows that there are quite a few on the West coast (the Thunderhill roll call would confirm that.) To that end, I'd suggest those guys pick a key national to rally a large FB contingent. Off the top of my head, the Rose Festival at Portland comes to mind. It might even be in our best interest to choose 2 or 3 nationals in the West since there are so many cars. Coincidentally, several of the major constructors are there, too (Phoenix, Stohr, Piper, GDRE.)

Beyond that, it appears that TX might be another hotbed.

Can't forget the NE guys, which suggest Watkins Glen. If my budget allows, I plan to go to M-O, which might draw some NE guys along with us Midwesterners.

Above all, I hope everyone keeps the June Sprints on their calendars. It's looking like we could put together a field that rivals the ARRC race!

Speaking of the ARRC...
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

Mike,

My e-mail is james.n.michael@lmco.com

I live in Fort Worth, Texas. My company is Berlousche Engineering.

Thanks very much!

James

Thread Information