Liked: 0

Default identify this starter motor please

Hi there,
    A while ago I bought this starter motor from a guy in the US through ebay, it was advertised as a ford crosflow/twincam remanufactured tilton super starter. I wanted to use it on my T440 resto project but found while it bolts up the pinion is a mile away from the ring gear . The only marking it has on it is C-2 next to the pinion. the bolt centres are110mm and the location spigot is 80.4 mm when sitting idol the outer most face of the pinion is 8mm proud of the mounting surfaceand only comes out aprox 10mm when engaged . It looks to me like it has been rebuilt but unfortunatly it is of no use to me. So the big question is what will it fit??? and is it in fact a tilton super starter?? and does any body want to buy it or maybe trade it. Your help would be much appreiciated.

Regards Ian Staples
    Last edited by ian Staples; 05.02.08 at 5:45 PM.

Liked: 1

Default Starter motor

Hi Ian, I hope you know that the pinion drive throws out on that starter, it is driven out by the solenoid which also turns as it flys out to engage with the ring gear, so it may work for what you want, if you power it up on the bench, you will see how it goes, so its just a matter of getting it aligned on the adapter plate. Hope this helps.
    Roger

Liked: 0

Default starter

Hi Roger,thanks but even when powered up it comes out aprox 10mm which is still way to short. regards Ian

Liked: 210

Roger,

If it's WAY too short, sounds like he needs the 'extended' output shaft added on? Maybe?

That unit 'looks' like the Tilton superstarter. But it doesn't have the Tilton label on it ?
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Liked: 141

Put the pinion on the other way round. Has worked for me for over a decade.

Ah - sorry - that was on my Nippon Denso starter - may or may not work with this one.
    Last edited by dereklola; 02.18.08 at 10:55 AM. Reason: senility.

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 11

Default The fix....

...how would it be to never have to pay through the nose for another Super Starter again?
    www.britishstarters.com sells a great, reliable Denso based reduction starter for a lot less than the competition. Nose is full clockable to fit almost any configuration, and an inexpensive rebuild kit is a must for the spares box.

Liked: 1

Default I make

similar starter, the details have been posted here, along with the details, I'm just not sure where.
    Roger

Liked: 146

I had a look at the British Starter page tonight, and it seems to list the same starter for the Kent Formula Ford and a Renault Engined Lotus Europa.

I have a one of each, and they dont take the same starter. If my memory is correct, the Renault rotates the other direction.

Take care.

Liked: 23

It looks similsr to a Nissan Z gear reduction starter in shape, but the nosepiece castings are different. That starter could be from anything.
    Van Diemen RF 79 #? Van Deimen RF 78 #231

It's not how fast you go.
    It's how well you go fast.

Liked: 282

Looking at the Tilton website. It looks like a 54-10007 or a54-11007 which is a 9 tooth 10 pitch starter for custom applications

Thread Information