Liked: 553

Default 2008 Conversion Updates

I know there are many ongoing F1000 projects. Let's hear the latest from your camps. What have you been working on? When will you have your cars out? Got pictures to share?

Jerry Freeman, Brands and I were expecting to race at Road Atlanta Feb 23, but the event was canceled due to unfinished track changes.

Since I had a little more time to work on the car, I started a new header. What a pain, but the new one should be an improvement (smoother bends).

During the winter I moved a lot of components further away from the exhaust heat. The low fuel pump has been moved out into the side pod area, as well as a remote oil filter. The new header will be ceramic coated, plus I'm redoing heat shielding and air flow, so hopefully my heat issues will be much less.
    Last edited by RussMcB; 07.17.10 at 2:28 PM.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 7

Yea Russ I was planning on debuting the car in Feb. but this gives me more time to work on the throwed together half ass body I have. I had a funny car body mount job that took up the entire winter. I just got to work on my car last week. I think I have figured out the overheating problem. If this doen't work I have a bigger radiator ready to be instaled imediately. I'm going to do another parking lot test this week. Probably Sat. I will be going to the driver school/regional in Memphis in March 14-16 I think is the date. The school should give me some good test time.

I'm also buying VD uprights and wheels to upgrade my old SV parts to new easier to find stuff that should be safer and better also. That will take all year before I get that stuff on the car.

Anyone out there willing to give some setup numbers on where the toe, camber, caster, air pressures, etc. should be for a baseline setup?

Thanks,

Jerry

Liked: 0

It's too quiet. That's scary. Am I the only one still working on this thing? Well, I am nearly finished with my diff carrier for the second time. I upgraded to (ahem) a newer motor, same manufacturer, and you guessed it, every mounting point was different, also the location of the counter shaft sprocket changed. Yamaha must have used a fatter rear tire in the latter years because the countershaft sprocket moved out from centerline about an inch. The new design will accomodate all previous years, regardless of where they put the countershaft sprocket and motor mounts. I'll post some pics as soon as it's reassembled.

I may be offering my other motor for sale. If I do, I'll post it here first so you guys can have first option on it. It's a 2000 R1 with 3 stage jets, wiring, 3 ecu's, oem guages, etc. and runs great. I love that motor. That's from my first R1. The '03 is going to become a track bike project for "my girl" who wants to go to motorcycle mechanics school when she graduates high school. I am so proud!! She can build the bike but can't ride it until she's 100 years old! Wonder where she gets that need for speed from?

Default well, maybe she can drive a safer vehicle....

Perhaps you might know where she can find a stable 4-wheeled MC powered vehicle, then?

She can build the motors, just needs to find a chassis/suspension engineer close by to help keep it race-ready

anyone come to mind? Added advantage is that you can keep an eye on her, and guard against advances from young race-car drivers!

I'm surprised there haven't been more 2008 update posts. I can think of at least 6 guys working on conversions. Maybe they're not doing anything interesting to their cars. Maybe they want to keep their cards close to their vests? :-).

I'm happy with my progress. The new header is done, with O2 sensor bung. I should have it back from the ceramic coater before my March 1 race at Roebling.

I'll also have a working AIM dash and logger, much thanks to Ellen Ferguson at Veracity Racing Data. She's really been a big help lately.

I've purchased a GoPro camera. Looking forward to having in-car video. I'm getting a new tow vehicle soon, too. I bought an old ambulance on ebay.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Default Old Ambulance

Russ,

I had looked at ambulances a number of years ago. I always thought that one built on a Superduty would be a great tow vehicle. Shelves, a work area, cot, left over medication.... Everything you need. Good luck!

Ken
    Ken

The old man has been busy on a number of items for the Tatuus. The clutch cable is installed and is capable of being "adjusted" by moving a bell crank up and down. The assemlby had to be completely re-done due to non-existant maintainance from the previous owner. Seems to work really slick. The brake bias is finished and installed. The old one was really messed up and had to be completely re-designed. The mount of the swirl pot is finished, along with the thermostat mounting. Layout work has been done for the remote oil filter in the left sidepod. The shifting paddles are finished and seem to work perfectly. The next BIG hurdle is the exhaust. Russ, now that you are an expert, you wanna take a trip to Colorado and lend a hand?

All this work has been done by my dad in sub-freezing temperatures with a torpedo heater in the garage. You can only work so long in those conditions until you can't feel your feet. The floor and the chassis never really get warm.

I have been working on the plug for the diffuser, but I can't do any epoxy work until it warms up. I'll try to take some pics when I get further along. The high is supposed to be 7 here today and if you use a hydrocarbon heater, it damages the epoxy. I envy you guys down south.

Progress is not as fast as we'd like, but steady. I don't imagine we will make any events next month. We still need to do some testing, plus I am so busy at work, I don't have any time to escape. We'll post some pics when we have some exciting new news.
    Ian MacLeod
    "Happy Hour: 5:00 - 5:30"
    Tatuus F1k

Classifieds Super License Messenger Racing's Avatar
    Liked: 160

Default Messenger MX1

Well, I will chime in. While building a DSR, we are going through the F1000 build first and will do initial testing with the old FC bodywork so I went ahead and requested a FB homologation. It is now in hand. The former Tatuus 98RC is now a Messenger MX1. Recent efforts have all been about plumbing issues. I think I finally ordered the last major piece for the cooling system, bought the last oil line fitting, will start building the oil system hoses tonight and then be ready to mock up the fuel system plumbing. If all goes well those three systems will be finished by next week. Then I am ready to do the electrical and data hook ups, bleed the brakes and clutch and test fire the baby.

I still have to install the upgraded half shafts that I decided to include in the design. I am getting those through Doug at Fast Forward - they are the same as some of the Swift Formula Atlantics use and are substantially stronger than standard FC half shafts.
    Assuming that happens in 2008 I am meeting Darren Brown and his speads at the new Eagles Canyon track for a systems and handling test day.

Regarding the DSR portion of the build - can't finalize the tail pipe and muffler until the tunnels are mounted. All of the Dauntless parts should be finished in a week or so and then we start the lengthy mounting process plus we will have to do some extensive modifications to the tatuus tail section to make everything flow correctly.

Photos - to the naked I it doesn't look much different than it did 45 days ago. But that should change a lot in the next 2-3 weeks.

Can't wait to drive it down the local Farm to Market Road - oh ...............forget I said that

Jay
    RaceDog
    Messenger Racing
    Muleshoe, Texas USA

Liked: 11

Jay- this is easy... forget about the DSR stuff and go racing in FB!

My car is also being updated, and I hope to have new pics in the next couple weeks. We are installing a new GDR engine (just arrived last week) with the newer wet-sump pan, new mounting brackets, and a new header/ exhaust. The water and oil lines will have to be redesigned as well. I will be running the 07 stock dash as I ran the 04 in the past. FWIW, George did tune my engine with a Power Commander and got 0 more hp with it... he did say that he felt like the hp increased in the mid-range and that should help improve drivability.
    We are looking at moving the motor forward in the chassis 3-4" to take advantage of the room I've got without the dry-sump tank. New oil coolers (running two in parallel) are being added. Lastly, a new shifter setup is being made. Brackets I did not need are being removed and the rear end will be stiffened up.

The chassis is also getting some attention with a complete strip, check for any cracking, and new black powdercoat. All interior aluminum panels are also being powdercoated in silver.

Bodywork is being completely stripped of 9 years of paint (I know I've painted it 2x) and being repained in Mercedes Brilliant Silver (744). Wings will be covered in vinyl for both protection and looks (covered in carbon-fiber looking vinyl)... and a new blue vinyl package designed by Clark Lincoln will be applied. I'm thinking that white numbers with a navy background on silver paint will look sweet. The final improvement needed will be the engine cover- get rid of the intake tumor and add a couple ram-air intakes....

Hope to have it complete by the March National at RA, but we shall see!
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Default carbon look vinyl

"Wings will be covered in vinyl for both protection and looks (covered in carbon-fiber looking vinyl).."

Sean, Where did you get this material and is it basically the same thickness as the vinyl typically used in trailer and car graphics?

Thanks....

You say Obsession like it's a bad thing......

Ken

"fake" carbon fiber, huh? ,

Contributing Member Richard Dziak's Avatar
    Liked: 3

I have coated my FB-F1000 in 3M Clear Shield paint protection film. It is durable, lightweight and really protects the surface of the car, and the paint. Many who have seen the car, can't even see the 3m Clear Shield product on it. You can buy it on eBay in rolls and apply it yourself. Just use a solution of 3/4 rubbing alcohol and 1/4 baby shampoo to apply. Have a good squeegee and your set. It sure saves the car from the rock chips in the paint. When I tell other racers about this, they are amazed that they could not detect the 3M product on the car. It works very well, and keeps a fresh paint job looking showroom new. It also applys well over vinyl graphics of any kind.
    Richard Dziak
    Las Cruces, New Mexico
    Former Phoenix F1K-07 F1000 #77 owner/driver
    email: sonewmexico@gmail.com

Liked: 11

I have ordered a sample of the stuff so I'll let you know about the thickness but assume its thicker.

Itr just seemed easier to go this route than having the wings painted a different color... plus, it should look cool.

That 3M stuff is pretty neat. Lots of people use it on headlights...
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Sean, you should have done the CF look without telling people it was vinyl, then enjoyed the accusations. :-).

Richard, it sounds like you did the application yourself. Was it a challenge to conform to non-flat surfaces? What was your process?

I've used helicopter tape before, but even it was a challenge to do things like noses, and when done, it was not invisable. A heat gun helps, but then you run out of hands if alone.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Classifieds Super License Messenger Racing's Avatar
    Liked: 160

Default Messenger MX1 FB

quote: "Jay- this is easy... forget about the DSR stuff and go racing in FB!"

Actually, I am considering that but it will be both classes not one. Just as soon as FB has a class at the runoffs - not interested otherwise - call me old school - but the runoffs still mean something to me!

So, the big hope is two cars next year. A FB model and a DSR model - both for me - I am sure the wife will understand.

Or, I had someone ask the other day about selling one and they were surprised to find out that my goal was to build a fast car for myself - not to sell them. But, I am interested in someone who wants to run one with me as a collaborator on the development of the car in either DSR or FB form. The synergy is bound to help.

JM
    RaceDog
    Messenger Racing
    Muleshoe, Texas USA

Contributing Member Richard Dziak's Avatar
    Liked: 3

Russ.

The 3M Shield Paint Protection film is very easy to apply. It is plyable and bends easily. I suggest if interested, to simply buy a small piece and try the application. As mentioned before a solution of 3/4 rubbing alcohol and 1/4 baby shampoo in a small spray bottle and squeegee is all you need. A regular hair dryer can be used to soften and help make the film even more bendable.It really works and had no problem with making bends. You can buy small quanities on eBay. Also the 3M product can be removed at a later date without harming the original paint.
    Richard Dziak
    Las Cruces, New Mexico
    Former Phoenix F1K-07 F1000 #77 owner/driver
    email: sonewmexico@gmail.com

Thread Information