Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1898

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Jeffords View Post
    Some clarification is in order:

THE ISSUE IS NOT OCCASSIONAL OFFS BY FORMULA CARS. This bears repeating for the speed readers:

THE ISSUE IS NOT OCCASSIONAL OFFS BY FORMULA CARS.

Likewise, NO ONE is suggesting penalties for occassional offs for any class of cars.

To recap: Several members have noted a trend in repeated and intentional off-roading of SEDANS, similar to the picture shown below. Note that the car in the picture is a SEDAN.

This was very evident at the '07 Runoffs, where SEDANS were noted to be repeatedly and intentionally off-roading, most notably at Turn 9. Seven time SCCA National Champion Dave Weitzenhof noted earlier in this thread that "Dirt and mud on the track was a BIG problem" at the Runoffs.

Due to repeated and intentional off-roading of SEDANS, several tracks are now taking matters into their own hands, and placing obstacles adjacent to the apex to prevent off-roading.

My objective in starting this thread was to propose clarification of rule 6.8.3 such that repeated and intentional off-roading was prohibited, without penalizing the occassional/inadvertant off. I admit this will require officials to make subjective decisions, but argue that the same is true for the other four "Driver Conduct" rules (6.8.1.A - 6.8.1.D).

If enforced properly, tracks would not feel it necessary to install aforementioned obstacles at the apex, and formula cars will have less debris to deal with on the track surface.
    Ok, yes there is a problem with sedans throwing crap on the track at kansas. This was never a problem at RA or MidO. There's "proper" curbing at both of those tracks and at any decent track I have ever raced (RA,MidO,Pocono,LRP,Watkin Glen,NHIS,Summit point,VIR,Toronto.Trois Riviers,Montreal,Nazareth,Sebring,Moroso,Nelson Ledges,Firebird). We can solve this problem with the sedans by going to a "decent" track for the Runoffs from now on. Hell, HPT could always invest in a track blower if they gave a $hit. As far as putting obstacles at apexes,.....bad idea! You think you have too much crap on the track now? Try cones,tires,fiberglass, whatever scattered across track. The idea of corner workers (who I respect highly) making decisions as to "repeated" off's is NOT what they are out there to do. They are out there to when there's crap on the track. Now it's your turn to decide to deal with the however you want as a racecar driver. It's part of the game so deal with it. 23 years I've been doing this and a little dirt on the track hasn't been a problem for me yet. Dirt on the track is good. It teaches you car control !I guess when it starts to bother me (as much as this thread), I'll grab a broom and start sweeping!

As far as Swan's pass on LeCain at WGI, I saw it and I wish I still had the nut to pull something that impressive myself !

Agnif
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 854

Quote Originally Posted by stonebridge20 View Post
    .... and I wish I still had the nut to pull something that impressive myself !
    You must be married too....
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

The race track needs to finish the terrain beside the track so that it can be safely used as part of the race track OR is slower. Good track operators do this and the driver has no decisions to make. It is the drivers job to find the shortest fastest way through the corner.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 413

And you think you have a gripe!
    Last edited by Charles Warner; 01.13.14 at 7:39 PM.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information