Liked: 3

Default Homologation Help?

So I really know how to party these days... 11:00 New Years Eve and my wife and daughter have just abandoned me for the evening, and I find myself looking for something to do to accompany the Barrett-Jackson Auction. Got it - out in the garage, I find my 2008 GCR and the homologation forms for my recent F1000 conversion.

Some of you more astute types, might be saying "Huh? Didn't you race at the ARRC?" And, yes, I did under a two race waiver. Now it is time to get the paperwork legal for the 2008 season.

The former owner of the car lost the log book and homologation certificate, and the SCCA has presented me with two options:
    1) Pay $200 for a 'Replacement' certificate.
    2) Apply for a new certificate for $75.

So unless someone out there in ApexSpeed land can convince me otherwise, a new certificate seems to be the way to go. John Bauer at SCCA sent me the forms and tells me that I can more or less e-mail the whole thing in to him with digital photos.

I have three pages of info to fill out, but only the second page contains any measurements or technical data (This is where I need help)....

Specifically I am looking for validation of my numbers for:

Chassis:
    Wheelbase:
    Front Track:
    Rear Track:

Rollcage:
    Material Specifications (SAE, etc.):
    Main Hoop:______________________ Wall Thickness:_________________________
    Front Hoop: _____________________ Wall Thickness: ________________________
    Braces: _________________________ Wall Thickness: ________________________

Fuel Cell:
    (I could use a good picture of the ATL label from a late model (1998 up) Van Diemen).

Any other notes or advice. I am finding this hard to do with no existing Log Book in hand to refer to. Maybe I should just suck it up and pay the $200???

Happy New Year to all,
    Sean

Liked: 2

Happy new year!

The one thing is, the SCCA number is already stamped into the roll hoop, somewhere near the hoop verification hole. Can you re-use the existing numbers or will new numbers be stamped in? Then, what kind of "questions" will getting a new homologation cert cause in the future if/when you sell? People prefer "no stories" cars. Will you loose more than $125 in resale? (Why so many numbers? Which one is the real one? ect ect)
    Man will race anything. It's in his blood. His Soul. He must.

Kurtis C. Shirley MacLane FV (sold), Lola T644 (sold), Murray FK1 FST (sold), Vector MG-95FF (sold), PRS 82F (sold), Lola T340... AKA PRS82F

Liked: 3

Default Good Point

The original log book number is stamped on the chassis, so maybe I should just eat the $125...?

Liked: 896

Default homologation

This is ridiculous Sean, how can the guy loose the log book. Have him pay the extra $125.

The Van Diemen does not have a standard roll bar, does this mean that you would need to do the "alternative design" process. If so, just forget it & pay the $$.

Thanks ... Jay
    Thanks ... Jay Novak
    313-445-4047
    On my 54th year as an SCCA member
    with a special thanks to every SCCA worker (NONE OF US WOULD RACE WITHOUT THE WORKERS)

Liked: 1397

Default Re-homologation

Is there a published proceedure for rehomologation?

Maybe this is an issue that Stan or Dave G. can give some insight.

I would guess that you are exactly in the same position as a person with a new, one off race car. Implied in the requirement is that any car up for rehomologation must meet all the requirements of the current GCR. This requires that the person doing the homologation to show that the car does meet all the requirements.

I think the old log book is irrelevant.

I was nailed to the wall for using the roll bar construction that was approved in '94 as complying with the standard but in 2007 it seems that it had to be approved as an alternative structure. No matter that by changing the attachment point of the roll bar brace and down sizing the tubing it would have complied with the current rules. That would have taken me 4 hours. Instead I spent cost $2500 to build my car better than the minimum required in the rules. Stupid me!!!

Liked: 7

I had to go the alternate route because my car was a one off home built, but the guys with VD cars seem to be able to just send in the info on the request form and they pass them because thy've seen a million VD's. A picture of the fuel cell numbers worked for me. Also, you should have a hole to check the thickness of the rool bars and the rest is pretty straight forward. I think I'd try that before I spend alot of money going other routes.

Jerry

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 270

Default Homologation

Technically its a new homologation - but the Technical office accepts the previous type homologation (eg VD FC 1999) to save you presenting everything again such as stress calculations, fuel cell certificate (which was not required at the time) etc. However some rules changes will catch you out - a new CSR converted Ralt RT40 will need the updated size roll hoop, for an example.

A VD dosn't have this problem UNLESS you have the 1" tube size main hoop that was fitted for the Pro Series in 1999. These were never Club legal and I recently saw one surface on a F1000 conversion car. The log book was issued for the correct size on the Homologation Certificate so it was changed at some point. (At least one of the two welded together hoops must be 1.375 x 0.090 - on the VD it was the rearwards one, there are about 20 of these hoops out there somewhere.)

I think you have to spend the $75 + $200 for a lost FC logbook if you want both.

Phil

Liked: 190

After helping to homologate some 30 Formula First cars (new and conversion) over the past three years, there could be an issue you may encounter.

If converting and the car has an alternate roll structure, have the documents (from VD?) or you may be in trouble. On three occasions, we've had production FV's with alternate stuctures that were converted to FST specs (homologated as FS). We were told by John Bauer that the papers for alternate stucture must be resubmitted even though the car raced for years in SCCA as a FV (with all proper paperwork). His comment was that just because it was OK in FV will not mean it is OK in FS. On two cars, we were able to get the original "PE" stamped calcs/docs and all was fine. The other car we were not so lucky and had to cut out and change the hoop in order to get homologation completed.

I guess I'm just suggesting that the alternate stucture docs would only make life easier, log book or not.

You still got that 16' trailer for sale?
    Bill Bonow
    "Wait, which one is the gas pedal again?"

Thread Information