Thread: 2008 EWC

Liked: 0

Default 2008 EWC

The 2008 FF/CFF East vs West Challenge schedule has been finalized. The series will again feature five double regional race weekends on a one race weekend per month cadence. This year's "bonus" weekend will be on the east side of the lake at Mid-Ohio with the GLC. In 2009, the "bonus" event will be at Road America in conjunction with the FF40th.

May 24/25 Grattan Raceway Park (Western Michigan Region)
    July 12/13 Blackhawk Farms Raceway (Blackhawk Valley Region)
    August 9/10 Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course (Cincinnati Region)
    September 13/14 Road America (Chicago Region)
    October 4/5 Mid-Ohio Sports Car Course (Western Ohio Region)

EWC grids continued to shrink in 2007 and the quality of racing suffered. The series can no longer command a FF/CFF only race group except at Blackhawk. Something needs to be done to reverse these trends...and here are the first two somethings.

Following the lead of the FF40th, CFF drivers will have a choice of "hard" restricted performance tires in 2008: Hoosier R60 compound slick, Goodyear 600 compound slick, American Racer 133 compound slick, Dunlop CR82 or CR84 9092 compound tread, and Sumitomo HTR-200 tread. No matter where in North America you race a CFF, you are welcome to make a guest appearance at at an EWC weekend....on your usual tires.

Additionally, non-competitive Formula Fords will be allowed in CFF on a case-by-case basis. Don't let pride get in your way if you have such a beast in your garage. It may be welcome as a CFF in the 2008 EWC. Let's talk.

More "somethings" to follow. We all win when car counts are up. It wasn't that long ago that the EWC had a 36 car field at Road America...

Steve Beeler, de facto EWC commissioner
    Lola T-540 HU44
    home: (734)416-8865 sbeeler@wowway.com
    office: (313)441-4460 x1141 sbeeler@pmcorp.com

Steve,

Actually the Cincinnati event at Mid Ohio is a restricted regional. In this unique format we maximize track time with a three race format and weekend championship for each class. The three races build on each other with a points system. Here is what we have proposed. BoD meeting is Jan 15th.

Saturday

Qualifying 20 minutes (sets the grid for the Saturday afternoon race)
    Race .......40 minutes or 22 laps Which ever comes first ( fastest individual lap set
    Sunday morning grid)

Sunday
    Qualifying race...20 minutes ( sets the grid for the Sunday afternoon race)
    Race.................40 minutes

Each class will receive Medals for the top 3 in the two afternoon races. And after the last race of the weekend we will tally up the final points total and award trophies to the top 5 in each class for the Overall weekend championship.

If anyone has any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

Best Regards,

Todd Cholmondeley
    Cincinnati Race Chairman

Contributing Member Garey Guzman's Avatar
    Liked: 854

Todd,
    That sounds like a pretty packed weekend! Can you tell me the proposed Groups and run order?
    Garey Guzman
    FF #4 (Former Cal Club member, current Atlanta Region member)
    https://redroadracing.com/ (includes Zink and Citation Registry)
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Garey,

Yep. The BOD meets Jan 15th to finalize.

ITA,IT7, ITC

SRF

ITB, ITS

SM, SSM

ITE, ITR, TCC, AS

CFF, FF, * CFC, FC

* The GLC meets Jan 19th to vote on adding the event to their series schedule

Todd

Quote Originally Posted by Tefkatt View Post
    Garey,

Yep. The BOD meets Jan 15th to finalize.

ITA,IT7, ITC

SRF

ITB, ITS

SM, SSM

ITE, ITR, TCC, AS

CFF, FF, * CFC, FC

* The GLC meets Jan 19th to vote on adding the event to their series schedule

Todd
    Just an update:
    The BoD has finalized the event and GLC has voted to come to the event.

Todd

I hope that I'll be racing by then! Kid #2 is less than 3 weeks away, then I have to wait for the kitchen passes to start up again!
    Garey Guzman
    https://www.thekentlives.com/ (includes information on the FF Kent engine, chassis and history)

Quote Originally Posted by Garey Guzman View Post
    I hope that I'll be racing by then! Kid #2 is less than 3 weeks away, then I have to wait for the kitchen passes to start up again!
    Congrats on the new pit crew member. It takes a while before they can handle a wrench though.

Liked: 39

Default WOR Games cancelled

GLDiv schedule has been updated to reflect cancellation of WOR Games. No comment on GLDiv or WOR web sites. Anyone know what happened there? Any thoughts on a replacement event for EWC?

The date above isn't the WOR games. I've been to the WOR games the last two years and it's been the last weekend of Oct.

I don't understand why it would be cancelled unless it was due to track needs. The event seemed well attended, the SCCA staff and volunteers were great.
    Garey Guzman

The WOR date was supposed to be the first weekend in October. A miscommunication happened between the WOR BoD and Truesports ( Mid Ohio). The mistake was not noticed until a paperwork deadline was already missed. WOR is trying to find another venue for this years event, so stayed tuned for updates. I suspect that WOR will be working closely with Truesports to get the date back in 2009.

Liked: 3

I have been told the Porsche club got the date

Thread Information