Thread: MAJOR THEFT

Liked: 101

Default MAJOR THEFT

Gentlemen,

Over this weekend my 8x20 Carson "Racer" trailer was stolen from the Comprent parking lot in Athens, Ga.

Unfortunately, around $100,000 in Ralt RT41 spares were inside, including every unobtainable part you can imagine, plus a brand new Jennings Cosworth BDSS...short stoke, alloy block.

Probably taken by a group of thugs for the trailer alone, or taken by someone who knew exactly what they were goiing for. If the latter, some very sweet, new parts will be showing up for sale. Please keep me in mind if you run into any really good deals, and I will pay a very generous reward to anyone leading to the recovery of my equipment, or to the arrest and conviction of this scum of the earth.

Thanks for your help,
    Bill Gillespie
    770-328-8184

Liked: 309

That sucks, Bill!

My son (Rennie) used to be a lead programmer at ebay, so I will enlist his aid in developing a thorough search string there for your goods. In the meantime, here's hoping they dump the trailer and contents at a convenient truck stop!

Stan
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 1

Wow, Bill, I am very sorry to hear this. I can't imagine the anger and frustration that you are feeling right now. I will call you immediately if I come across any "too good to be true" deals on RT41 or Cosworth parts.

Rick

Stan,

Thanks for the moral support....seems I underestimated the loss......a little closer to 130k. looks like Hunter and I are now done in racing....can't afford the replacement cost, or heartbreak. As you know, this Cosworth conversion into the Ralt was a long term labor of love for a lot of people....I dread telling Jennings that the latest and greatest from his imagination is now in someone's uhaul stogage unit of stolen goods.

Regards,
    Bill

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 416

Hang in there, Bill. Let me know if I can help.

Comprent have insurance?
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Liked: 3

Any pictures of the trailer or helpful visual cues?

Sean

Hi Sean,

The trailer is a white 8x20 TAG, with a 6" raised ceiling. No graphics, but 1 hole in the rear ramp door fronm a forklift tongue.

Thanks for checking,
    Bill

Contributing Member D.T. Benner's Avatar
    Liked: 2

Default sad thing is...

They probably wanted the trailer for a meth lab and will dump the contents. I had someone break into my truck and grab a laptop computer bag off the back seat that contained my HANS! Bet when the perp found out he scored a funny looking carbon fiber thingie and not a laptop he threw it in a dumpster someplace.
    If not the trailer I hope your parts turn up!

Liked: 35

Bill,

I will keep an eye out for any anyone seelin used gerabox parts for sale on this end...

Scotty
    Taylor Race Engineering
    Scotty
    Est. 1990
    Taylor Race Engineering

Liked: 11

Sorry for your loss... I'll definately keep my head up here in Atlanta. Lets hope you get your goods back.

Another reminder for people to get transport/ storage insurance.
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Scotty & carnut,

The trailer went from an insured shop to a shop where I needed to provide my own insurance. Trailer in a lighted area beside a police vehicle maintenance facility. Filled out the insurance form, but company was closed on the weekend.......theft was on late fri nite/sat a.m..............please remind everyone of my loss, so they can learn from my misfortune, not their own.

Scotty, they got our salisbury, gears, jigs, tools, dogs, etc.......but we still have theTRE Quaife!

Thanks to everyone for their vigilance,
    Bill

Default Major Theft #2

Hi Guys,

Many thanks for the moral support.....I am offering a$10,000 no-questions-asked reward for info leading to the recovery of my equipment.....also payable to law enforcement, or donated to anyones favorite charity......someone, somewhere will have loose lips, i hope.

I hope everyone had a happy thanksgiving, and God bless our familly members overseas who are protecting my ability to feel sorry for myself while they put everything on the line.

Bill

Liked: 0

Wow I cant imagine a loss on this scale. This just makes me sick. Before I raced formula cars I used to race motocross. I've had two bikes stolen from me at two different times. Although the value isn't the same in this case, I know how horrible it makes you feel. Actually the last bike that got stolen put me out of racing for a year. After this I'm putting one of those GPS tracking bugs on my trailer. I think you can pick them up for around 500 bucks. They are dormant until the trailer moves and then you can track them by an internet website. I think you just put batteries in them and bolt it to the trailer somewhere. Anyways, I'll keep an eye out for you and really sorry to hear about this.

Classifieds Super License marshall9's Avatar
    Liked: 501

Bill,
    Eyes are open in the desert here in AZ too. I'll be lurking at PIR this weekend, a lot of Atlantics/FBs/Supervees, etc., usually show up. I don't think, or maybe I am in denial, that it could be someone in the racing community for a culprit, but I guess you never know. We have our own justice out here.....won't be any arrest/conviction, lol. Might be one bent piece of tubing in the batch though.....
    Marshall

Liked: 18

Default Trade in's possible

Bill,
    Sorry for your loss. Contact local trailer dealers, as the perps may try to trade in, repair, or alter the trailer. Also contact your local auto trader magazine, they have also a truck and trailer trader magazine, which can take your info and if something lines up with the criteria it can raise a flag.
    Had my shop broken into years ago, local police treated it as local, however later I found out that in 4 bordering munincipalities there were each week, 3 parrallel crimes, however since municipalities do not necessarily link information on non-violent crimes, nobody knew the extent.
    Point is, make sure that crime is listed in county and state database. And yes I have my eyes out for you.
    Alan

Liked: 30

Default Sorry to hear that

Bill can you post photos of the trailer so if someone on the forum see it wandering around the country see it we can notify you. Also you might notify as many of the used trailer outlets as you can. A friend found his stolen trailer after it had been sold by an unsuspecting legitimate trailer place after they had purchased it for the thieves posing as the owners wanting to sell the unit.

Hope you find it.

Thread Information