Contributing Member Nicholas Belling's Avatar
    Liked: 1

Post FB ARRC 2007 IN-CAR RACE FOOTAGE - STOHR F1000 with NICHOLAS BELLING

Took some time to get things compiled for online viewing. So finally here it is everyone.

Click on the website link to view. www.FastForwardMotorSports.com

You will need the latest flash player to play the video files from my website.
    You can get Flash player here.
    http://www.adobe.com/shockwave/download/download.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash&promoi d=BIOW
    Nicholas Belling
    email@nicholasbelling.com
    Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Liked: 553

Nicholas, that's fantastic!

I was, and continue to be, very impressed with how well you drove at Road Atlanta. You were driving the wheels off that car. Great job.

Question: When your video caption said you had reached third place, which guy ahead were you not counting? :-).
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Default Thanks russ,

you are correct.. argghh,, more video editing. that was done at 3:00am in the morning.
    Nicholas Belling

Liked: 59

Great video! Thanks for posting it. And great job at RA!
    Bill

Contributing Member
    Liked: 17

Default video

Great video! Thanks. Impressive closing speed! Slick shifting!

What video equipment where you using?

Liked: 0

ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!!!!

Great job. What motor do you have? Great website, too.

Thanks.
    Ken

Thanks for posting the video. It speaks volumes for the great racing that went on.
    Last edited by 8-Ball; 11.29.07 at 9:05 AM.
    Jean-Luc

Default Thanks to everyone who sent me a message online and offline from the forum.. :)

video file was fixed on part II last night. and is now up on the site.

The video system I am using is a standard everyday sony bullet cam connected directly to a 6 year old sony trv33 miniDV camcorder.

The actual camera was just duct taped in location resting on some dense foam.. this however gave it good visual stability, with minimal vibrations.
    Nicholas Belling

Liked: 309

Default Hungry for more (i.e. Part 3)...

Great video (Part 1 & 2), but where is Part 3? Need to see how this finishes (from the driver's point of view)!

Thanks
    Chris Pruett
    Swift DB1

Nicholas,

What kind of data acq. are you using on your car?

Richard

Liked: 157

Nick, that video was amazing, great job of driving. It makes the videos we have from our FF races look like slow motion by comparison. That was a close call with the spinning yellow FF, too bad it cost you two spots. Cant wait to see Part 3. BTW, did they make a scoring error to put you back one spot at the restart?

One other thing that the video makes obvious. If you are building an F1000, you had better put paddle shifters in it. I cant imagine having to take your hand off the wheel that many times per lap going at those speeds.

Take care.

Tom

Contributing Member
    Liked: 210

Three of the Stohr DSR racers we spoke with at the RunOffs preferred a shift lever over the paddle setup, with forearm fatigue mentioned as the downfall of the paddle setup. I assume this applied to cable-driven systems with their inherent friction; perhaps an electric or electro-pneumatic paddle system would be more inviting (and more $$ and complexity).

If I recalled correctly, the shuffling of the ARRC field was a result of a green-then-double yellow-then-all black flag sequence that reverted the field to the order they crossed the line during the last green flag lap. Lots of confusion on the grid, both from the drivers, crew, and workers.

To top it off, they didn't count the laps done under the double yellow (nor black?), thus increasing the number of actual laps for the race. We had our fuel level on the ragged edge, and ran out of gas on the last lap as a result of the race "extension."

Contributing Member Richard Dziak's Avatar
    Liked: 3

Great footage....a blast to watch.....

Great job....great driving.
    Richard Dziak
    Las Cruces, New Mexico
    Former Phoenix F1K-07 F1000 #77 owner/driver
    email: sonewmexico@gmail.com

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default Hey Nicholas, nice vid, but...

you are aware that this class requires a stock engine?(!)
    Kinda gave away yer hand on that one, Mate.

Cheers, GC

Default Sure is tough with the racing season over now. Snowing in Vancouver where I live :(

Richard - data acq is CDS PRO.. its an amazing piece with super bright LEDS.. reccommend to anyone.

-pru- part 3 will go up once I get a chance to take a breather from work.. paying for all this racing is really full of 18 hours days of working

Paddle shifters were great.. we fully lubricated and isolated the lubrication within the shifter cable to make the shifts seamless and near frictionless.. so it wasnt that bad.. but forearms like jon jeffords said can get slightly sore.. but a little exercise in that department and all should be good.. a spring return would allow shifting to be even better.. but phunamitic assist is the next thing with tiny paddles behind the wheel for effortless shifting in my opinion.

Glenn the motor is completely stock.. I had the motor crate shipped direct to stohr cars and then had it went right from the crate to Arnie Loynings dyno with zero tuning just for a few passes to make sure things were all good and a quick break-in.. nor did it ever get tuned or have a ram airbox installed.. so many things could have been done to further improve the HP output as we are now finding out..
    Nicholas Belling

Liked: 11

Great driving and fantastic video Nick! Can't wait for part III to post. Thanks again for the post.

Default Great driving...

...however, it can't be denied that the closing speeds, as shown in the videos, are indeed certainly impressive!

I edited my previous post...but what the hell...nothing personal but...

"I want your engine"...

....for my DSR !!!
    Jean-Luc

Default Jean Luc,

07 motors defintely are nice.. but its a give and take between bottom end and top end when you look at the dyno graphs and compare.. 07's have alot better top end for sure.. 06 have better bottom end.. I can only comment on the suzuki side of things though.

I defintely was happy though with the general performance of the motor and not having any glitches or hiccups to date.
    Nicholas Belling

Thread Information