Thread: rFactor on Mac?

Liked: 1

Default rFactor on Mac?

I am a big Mac guy and was wondering if there was any reason the rFactor would be a problem on a new Mac with a Windows partition loaded? I think about the only thing that I could see being an issue is controller interface/support but maybe not as the platforms are very similar now.

Thanks for any help as I need to get a sim together and I REALLY, REALLY hate the idea of buying a PC even if it is cheap.

As an alternative, are there any good Formula sims that would help at an F2000 level that could run on a gaming system like the PS3?

-Carl

Liked: 67

No problem on an Intel MacBook Pro running Boot Camp. Runs better than on a Wintel machine!

-Peter
    www.peterkrause.net
    -Peter Krause
    1984 Tiga SC
    www.peterkrause.net
    "The Driver is the Greatest Performance Variable in the Racing Equation"

Just in case anyone else is wondering this...I am now running rFactor on two different MacBook Pros, a dual 2.2GHZ, 128MB video card and 2GB RAM, I am also running the same setup on a dual 2.6GHZ machine and it works great. I have a Windows partition so I run all the gaming software and the G25 directly in Windows. So far, no issues!

Thanks to those that helped get me started!

Good news!

-Peter
    -Peter Krause
    1984 Tiga SC
    www.peterkrause.net

Liked: 0

Blacksport: are you continuing to have success running Rfactor on your MacBook Pro - good frame rates?

Thanks!

No issues as of yet!

Thanks! I've been playing F1:CE on the PS3 but would like to move on to PC sims. Your experience gives me hope for next time I upgrade my Mac!

I was going to buy a PC just to run the Sim but this really saved my arse as I hate PCs! THe only thing that I am having trouble with is my CXC Simulations digital dash for the Logitech G25...the new MacBook Pro has some funky USB port power wiring that is going to force me to get creative.

I just installed rFactor and DiretFactor on my MacBook Pro Core Duo 2GHz w/ 1 GB RAM. Works awesome. I picked up a cheap Logitech DualAction controller to start with. I'll at least need something similar w/ a rumble, if not a wheel soon. But, hey, it works!

Sounds promising. What exactly are the issues with the MacBook Pro & the G25?

Quote Originally Posted by Biggles View Post
    Sounds promising. What exactly are the issues with the MacBook Pro & the G25?
    There are none...it works perfectly.

I am having trouble with my CXC dash which is a digital dash upgrade for the G25 and a totally separate part.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigaman View Post
    No problem on an Intel MacBook Pro running Boot Camp. Runs better than on a Wintel machine!

-Peter
    www.peterkrause.net
    It actually runs quite well. Although the Macbook gets REALLY hot while playing (does not seem to affect it though)

-Doug
    Gridmotorsports World Cup (www.gridmotorsports.com)

Default rFactor in MacbookT^T help me plz=]

rFactor in MacbookT^T help me plz

i just installed Window XP on my MacBook Pro...but when i run rFactor
    it shows up the rFactor Config thing...and said something about the DirectX 9.0c
    what should i do? i installed the DirectX in my XP already but still the thing shows up again.T^Tits a brand new MacBook Pro....i realli wanna play rFactor in my Macbook..it works fine in my other XP computer. Do i have to install any other software to my Macbook in order to run rFactor??? and i have another question about DirectX too...do i install DirectX in Mac or Window XP??

Quote Originally Posted by ViNZx_xD View Post

it shows up the rFactor Config thing...and said something about the DirectX 9.0c
    what should i do? i installed the DirectX in my XP already but still the thing shows up again.T^Tits a brand new MacBook Pro....i realli wanna play rFactor in my Macbook..it works fine in my other XP computer. Do i have to install any other software to my Macbook in order to run rFactor??? and i have another question about DirectX too...do i install DirectX in Mac or Window XP??
    You have to run rfactor config to set up the initial graphics setup for rfactor. Direct3d should be installed already, but it does not hurt to install it again (In windows).

Are you running windows using Bootcamp (where you can dual boot into Mac OS X or Windows)? Or something like Parallels/Vmware desktop?

See the post above and make sure you are doing a true dual boot and rebooting the Mac in Windows. If it is just Windows running on top of the Mac OS, it will not work correctly.

First of all, thanks for reply me u both=] thank you=]
    i install my Window XP by using the bootcamp which is included in my MacBook Pro...
    and then yesterday i installed rFactor rite after i installed WindowXP....
    so everytime if i want to change to Window XP or Mac i just reboot the Macbook and press "Control"to change , but then when i double click the rFactor icon..the rFactor config thing shows up...and said something about the DirectX 9.0c....im not sure what happen but im sure i installed the DirectX already....i hope i can play rFactor tonite coz i luv it so much=]
    Its a brand new MacBook....did u guyz had faced this kind of problem before??/
    wut do u guyz think??? i took a picture of the rFactor Config thing already...i will probably post it on tonite...so u guyz can take a look at it...thanks you guys BIG help=]

First of all, thanks for reply me u both=] thank you=]
    i install my Window XP by using the bootcamp which is included in my MacBook Pro...
    and then yesterday i installed rFactor rite after i installed WindowXP....
    so everytime if i want to change to Window XP or Mac i just reboot the Macbook and press "Control"to change , but then when i double click the rFactor icon..the rFactor config thing shows up...and said something about the DirectX 9.0c....im not sure what happen but im sure i installed the DirectX already....i hope i can play rFactor tonite coz i luv it so much=]
    Its a brand new MacBook....did u guyz had faced this kind of problem before??/
    wut do u guyz think??? i took a picture of the rFactor Config thing already...i will probably post it on tonite...so u guyz can take a look at it...thanks you guys BIG help=]
    That sounds wrong. When you have a proper Windows partition, you need to fully reboot to run Windows and hold down the "option" key during the reboot. You then get a menu to run either OS or Windows.

If you have a simple "shell" on your desktop to toggle between them, it will not run correctly!

Thanks you Blacksport350 ...=] i was waiting for your reply

yea...that was exactly what my mac was....
    i fully reboot my computer and then after u heard the "donnnn..."noice, i press "control"key
    and it shows 2 driver thing...one is Mac and the other is Window...=]
    and what do i do??? thx bro
    u have MSN???? maybe i can have a little chat with u tonite...and so u can help me

Thanks you Blacksport350 ...=] i was waiting for your reply

yea...that was exactly what my mac was....
    i fully reboot my computer and then after u heard the "donnnn..."noice, i press "control"key
    and it shows 2 driver thing...one is Mac and the other is Window...=]
    and what do i do??? thx bro
    u have MSN???? maybe i can have a little chat with u tonite...and so u can help me
    Okay, just wanted to make sure that was correct.

Sadly, that is the limit of my technical abilities as it all loaded fine after properly configuring WIndows.

ummm ..its's ok=]
    but still can i have yr msn??? i will just try to fix it tonite...

ummm ..its's ok=]
    but still can i have yr msn??? i will just try to fix it tonite...
    Don't use MSN but can always be emailed through Apex.

here's the rFactor config thing that shows up all the time...anyone can tell me how to fix it???
    plz...

Liked: 1417

Any long-term updates or opinions on this setup?

I'm getting ready to build a dual-boot MacBook Pro for rFactor on the Windoze side, and I just want to make sure everything works Kosher. I can't wait to hit the ApexSpeed/Trackpedia League this fall!

Anyone with any experience setting up XP on a MacBook Pro using BootCamp? I'm having one helluva time just getting the OS installed.

Boy I love Winders...

Doug, is it an old MBP (pre-Leopard, OS X 10.5) or does it have Leopard on it?

Apple ceased offering Boot Camp as a beta download after Leopard was released. I have a CD with the drivers if you need it to install on Panther. Since Boot Camp and the drivers are included in Leopard, it's a snap because I just did it on my MacBook Air a few months ago. Let me know.

Also, you have to have the latest version of XP with SP2 or it won't work. Ask me how I know...
    -Peter Krause
    1984 Tiga SC
    www.peterkrause.net

Brand new MacBook Pro (2.5Ghz, 2GB, 250GB) with OS 10.5.4/Leopard. Been on the phone with Apple over the last couple of days to try to fix the issues with BootCamp not partitioning the HD correctly. We wiped the drive and re-installed everything from scratch and it's still not partitioning correctly.

New full install Windows XP with SP2, and it refuses to "re-partion" and format the drive from the BootCamp incomplete format. It just goes right to installing XP, and then when everything is completed, the computer restarts to a DOS prompt that says, "CANNOT FIND BOOT DISK."

They think it's hard drive related and are ready to swap the drives, but I don't think so. I think it's software related, but I'm at a loss at this point.

After many hours on the phone with Apple, and no resolution to my install issues, I just happened to notice that the newly purchased version of XP that I have is an "OEM" copy. There was fine print in the BootCamp instructions that said that OEM *might* not work. Well, it doesn't!

I picked up a FULL version from Best Buy tonight as a last ditch effort before Apple wanted to replace hardware, and...

I was playing rFactor on my Mac about 10 minutes ago. wOOOOOOOt!

Now all I need is my wheel to arrive and I'm in the game! Can't wait to get in on the ApexSpeed/Trackpedia league this fall. REALLY looking forward to it. I miss racing all of you guys in F2000Heat.

Now, where is my new G25 wheel...

d

Awesome Doug! Now practice up buddy...keith and I have a few tricks for ya.
    John Stecher - Rochester Minnesota
    http://twitter.com/johnstecher - Follow me on Twitter
    http://www.trackpedia.net/blogs/john/ - My Blog
    http://www.trackpedia.com - The world's premier race track reference

Hah! I need my new wheel from Keith! I don't think I'm much of a rFactor competitor using the keyboard. LOL.

Soon!

Default HELP

Hi, i've just got a brand new Mac Book Pro and want to run rfactor on it and i have no idea how to even begin to go about that. Can anyone here help me? I want to be able to run rfactor on my mac with little to no money spent (not meaning getting the game illegally, i already bought that). I want to be able to run rfactor and mods for rfactor. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP. Thank you.

I raced all of last winter in the rFactor league on a MacBook Pro. It runs it really well. It's very easy to do, you just need to take a few precautions. BootCamp allows you to install Mac OSX and Windows on the same computer, and boot your computer off of either operating system.

To run any PC game on the Mac, here's what you need to do...

• Make sure you are up to date with your Mac OS. The newest Macs come with the most current version of BootCamp.

• Purchase a legitimate copy of Windows OS (XP Service Pack 2 is a cleaner gaming option than Vista), and install on a freshly BootCamp-partitioned drive. Note, an OEM version of Windows will NOT work on your Mac BootCamp install.

• Install a full version of rFactor after booting through the Windows OS.

• Install all steering wheel drivers.

• Fire up and play!

I will say, if you are on a Mac laptop, the system on Windows runs REALLY high temps. To combat this, I purchased an aluminum heatsink laptop tray with built-in USB fans for cooling. For game play and SIMs, I would call it an absolute necessity on your laptop. I got mine for about $25 at the local Fry's computer center. The aluminum heatsink alone sucks a lot of heat away from the laptop, but the fans really help, too. I won't run rFactor on my computer without the heatsink/fan tray.

I'm also using the Logitech G25 wheel on the Mac with ZERO issues, too. Flawless setup, though it would be nice to have a larger screen. But, I run both operating systems on a great computer. Can' complain too much.

Quote Originally Posted by Cody35 View Post
    Hi, i've just got a brand new Mac Book Pro and want to run rfactor on it and i have no idea how to even begin to go about that. Can anyone here help me? I want to be able to run rfactor on my mac with little to no money spent (not meaning getting the game illegally, i already bought that). I want to be able to run rfactor and mods for rfactor. SOMEONE PLEASE HELP. Thank you.
    You need to set your Mac up as a dual boot machine, install Windows, and then install rfactor. It is pretty straight forward but you will need a copy of Windows. If this is beyond your technical skills, enlist a friend that is tech savvy.

BTW, DO NOT install a WIndows shell within the Mac OS as this will not work properly (it must be set up as a true dual boot machine).

Good luck!

-Carl

Thanks everyone. I have what i need now, thanks again for the help.

This sounds awesome!! I just downloaded rFactor plus the F1 add-ons. Can't wait to get this running. Been playing F1 Championship edition and need another fix!!!

Some additional info posted here:

http://www.apexspeed.com/forums/show...4&postcount=36

i am having problems on my imac 24" late 2006 model.

Comes up with directx problems installed it and everything maybe because i cheated out of activating my windows and hacked it will this make it not work?!

Cheers

Billy

Quote Originally Posted by higgins129 View Post
    i am having problems on my imac 24" late 2006 model.

Comes up with directx problems installed it and everything maybe because i cheated out of activating my windows and hacked it will this make it not work?!
    You have to use a legitimate purchased copy of Windows. It will not work with BootCamp if you use an OEM Windows disk or something that was included with another PC.

bootcamp runs fine.
    can you email me and ill explain my situation
    b.higgins@live.co.uk

Thread Information