Thread: Racing Together

DaleC

Just a thought based on the last poll about regions. Wouldn't it be great to have all the racers that are in the Midwest and Central regions pick three or four races on the SCCA regional schedule and meet there.(you guys in the other regions could do the same or come play with us). A 45 car field would be awsome. Think about it.

Liked: 0

Wouldn't it be cool if all the races were like the June Sprints. 45 cars all lined up and ready to haul -ss. I think you have a great idea. Pick some dates and lets see how many can come. Maybe a poll on favorite tracks would be a good place to start. Then go with some dates at those top few tracks.

Another good idea, and a 45+ FC field might go a long way toward ensuring that we don't have a mixed race with anything other than perhaps a few FA's, so ... One vote for Grattan.

1. Great for spectators - you can see almost half the track from several locations.

2. I'm crew, and I get a kick watching FC's sail thru the air, four wheels off the ground, for 30 ft or more after the "jump" on the back straight.

3. It's probably my driver's favorite track (maybe 'cause that's where he got his only Pole, ever).

4. Great for the family - the kids can fish in the infield ponds.

5. Without a doubt, the best Saturday night food at any track.

That would be a great time!! I've never been to the June Sprints so this would be a great experience. The only problem with that though is that with so many other fast cars, it would show me how slow I really am.
    One question though.. You guys think it should be a Regional SCCA event or like a Midwestern Council event in order not to restrict some people? In the future (maybe next week)we'll probably use the poll to find out what type of licenses our viewers have to sort that out a little bit. I'm all for the idea!!! Racing with 4 to 8 cars is fun, but 40 would be incredible!

------------------
    Keith Carter #28
    94\95 VanDiemen
    keith@formulacontinental.com

[This message has been edited by Keith (edited December 28, 2000).]

I've seen more like 70-80 FC's at the Sprints. From what I can tell, since there's so many cars, there are always more than a few that are just as fast (or slow) as you. The result: great racing for everyone no matter where you are in the field.

Another benefit: You'll get more help from other FC drivers than you can imagine. My driver got his National license at Russells, bought his first race car (a well used RF94, in pieces), and went to his first race four years ago -- at the Sprints. Somehow, we managed to finish in the top 80% and had a ball; but a friend we met there still says we reminded him of the Clampets when we drove up in a old rusty Ford van dragging our FC on a snowmobile trailer.

This is a great idea, we should make sure this happens a few times this summer.

------------------
    Chuck Lessick
    1996 VanDiemen FC#59
    Chuck Lessick

ZATgraphics.com
    2006 Top Private Team Cooper Tire Series

both midwest counsil and scca honor each others full comp licenses, so it should not be a problem.

Dan, I believe you're right about both MC and SCCA honoring each other's full comp licenses, but I think that SCCA doesn't honor a MC novice for those who may be just starting out and haven't made their 6 races yet. Is that correct? I just wouldn't want to exclude those people (if there are any). We'll see if that's a concern with the next poll. I'm getting antsy just thinking about this season!!!!! I just think it would be a blast to have a field of FC's that out numbers the Vees for once.... Happy New Year everyone!!

------------------
    Keith Carter #28
    94\95 VanDiemen
    keith@formulacontinental.com

I'm sure you are right about the novice liciense.

Liked: 706

Remember, we're talking to Dan "I raced the Sprints last year on a regional license" Kennison.
    Just kidding, Dan. Are you ready for AZ? Any news on the tire situation?

------------------
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Get your FIA rain lights here:
    www.gyrodynamics.net/product/cartek-fia-rain-light/

Contributing Member

Great Idea! Let's make it happen!

I'll second the Grattan vote from Randy. Though I haven't had the chance to run the FC there yet, I ran karts there for years, and IMO it demands more breadth of technique from a driver than most any other track.
    You know you're old when all your driving heros are collecting Social Security...

Thread Information