Liked: 0

Default Need ideas for pit/paddock vehicle

I'm trying to create a practical pit support vehicle from a stock Yamaha gas powered golf cart I picked up. Ideally, I'd like to be able to tow a racecar, carry a full set of FA wheels/tires, a small toolbox, 2 people and the various and sundry things which are normally humped to and fro. If I get an idea of how to make the tires stay put and not take up all the room, they'll live on the cart and it'd save me making another tire rack for the trailer.

Is anyone willing to share some photos of set-ups they've seen/used or clever ideas on what to make. It's a one time thing so if I do it right from the start it should last me forever.

Regards,
    GregoryJ

Liked: 29

Default Pit Support Vehicle

Quote Originally Posted by GregoryJ View Post
    I'm trying to create a practical pit support vehicle from a stock Yamaha gas powered golf cart I picked up. Ideally, I'd like to be able to tow a racecar, carry a full set of FA wheels/tires, a small toolbox, 2 people and the various and sundry things which are normally humped to and fro. If I get an idea of how to make the tires stay put and not take up all the room, they'll live on the cart and it'd save me making another tire rack for the trailer.

Is anyone willing to share some photos of set-ups they've seen/used or clever ideas on what to make. It's a one time thing so if I do it right from the start it should last me forever.

Regards,
    GregoryJ
    Hi Gregory:
    We have a stock, gas powered golf cart with a box on the back, we have room for our tool box, cooler, jack, and various odds and ends that we feel we need at the pit wall, 2 or 3 crew members, and still have enough snot to tow the car (FA) to the pits. We can even pull the car up the hill from the tech barn at Road America. We do not take wheels/ tires as part of our normal routine. If necessary, make a trip in advance with the wheels and tires. they should be secure in the pit stall for a few minutes.
    Jim Gustafson
    Road Racing Since 1970

Liked: 309

I have a tire tack for mine that fits a set of FA tires with the toolbox underneath and room for two persons and a bunch of other stuff. My pit cart is a diamond plate modified gas golf cart, which is different to a stock cart, for sure, but I can take some pics tomorrow if you'd like to see the setup. Most pro teams haul their "war wagon" behind the cart, with the race car on a tether behind that. If you can configure your cart to pull a trailer you're all set. Stan
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 0

Thanks for the input so far! I'd like to see some pics for sure. I nearly got a war wagon from a pro team but I just don't have the space for it and was hoping to just get away with just the golf cart.
    The tire rack on the cart would be a plus, I'd rather not hang another set on the trailer wall. Besides what's on the car, I'm always taking a set of rains and extra set of slicks.

Thread Information