Liked: 24

Does anyone have any ideas on how to increase the FC Runoffs entry numbers. It seems like the number has fallen the last few years in a row. Qualifying with those FM cars was not very pleasant and made it almost impossible to get clean laps. It is significantly more enjoyable to try and run clean laps with 27 cars than 42 cars with different speeds. Seems like very few entries from the SE. Any suggestions?

Contributing Member
    Liked: 0

Rick:

It was disappointing to see the level of participation in the FC class, especially since I would have killed for the chance to go! But I'm sure a number of factors play into people's decision not to go. Here are a couple that I heard throughout the season:

First, the cost of going to the runoffs is astronomical for most ordinary mortals. A week off work, numerous sets of tires, and hundreds of dollars in ERC mystery fuel is a lot to swallow. Not that anybody expects racing to be a cheap game, but if I figure right it would cost $5k+ at a minimum to campaign a FC at the runoffs.

Second, the runoffs haven't changed venue in quite some time and the (perhaps well-founded) perception may be that the CenDiv guys have an unfair advantage. So why bother going?

But there may be a way to shore up entries without changing either of the above. IMHO, changing the rules for who gets an invite could fill the field better. Though I'm sure this theory is full of holes, here's a thumbnail sketch:

a) Top ten guys from each division are invited to the runoffs.

b) The number of declined entries is divided proportionally among the divisions based on entry levels and an additional slate of drivers gets invited.

Essentially, the rationale behind this is that the the more populated regions would have more representation. Therefore a guy running in the strong CenDiv or NE would have a decent shot at the runoffs even if he finished out of the top 10 in points there. This may also prevent guys from changing division just to make the runoffs, as I know a number do.

Kind of like how the number of votes in the Electoral College are determined. And that system seems to work pretty well. Hmmm...

On second thought...

You know you're old when all your driving heros are collecting Social Security...

I think you are right about the costs. The other factor is time. Your talking about 9 days at minimum if you are from the west coast and 7 if from anywhere else. Thats hard to deal with when you get 15-20 minutes per day.

I think your idea on invitation is right on target. Look at the June Sprints it is always a better race. If we don't get the feilds up I think Speedvision will walk away from the hole thing.

Liked: 53

Not too many years ago, only the to 4, 5 or 6 got automatic invitations, based on class participation numbers. FC would get 6. Alternates from among the top 8 would fill any openings, in order of each division's participation. Then it was changed to top 8 in every class and every division. Then it was changed to top 10. I don't think allowing lower placed drivers (even in popular classes like FC, SRF, FF, FM, AS) is a good thing. Shortening the event, limiting testing and other costs, paying a bigger tow/travel fund would help.

rocketrob95

one way would be to move the runoffs to Texas World Speedway. then i could go.
    seriously, i wish they would rotate the tracks a little more often.

The proposed GCR rule change that extends an invitation to any National Champion from the last 5 years, without counting against a Division's quota, would have added at least two last year [and we would have been there!].

In CenDiv last year, position 6 and position 12 (us) were separated by a total of three points; but two of the top 10 drivers did not go. Another option might be that if any top 10 driver is not going to the Runoffs, perhaps he could return his invitation to his Division, making it available to the next highest ranked driver.

The main problem has to be the time commitment; and unfortunately, limiting testing time might be counter-productive for those traveling long distances. These drivers probably want and need more seat time (if not test time) at Mid-Ohio than anyone else, and shortening the event by limiting track time might be just further discouragement.

Thread Information