Contributing Member triumph_tech's Avatar
    Liked: 8

Default 'Glen "Fun One" Photos

I got some interesting shots of the false start for the FF/CF race on Sunday at the SCCA Fun One event . If there is interest I can post a couple.
    Gary Valone #44
    Zink Z10-C

Classifieds Super License stonebridge20's Avatar
    Liked: 1898

Well I may regret this but,.....Post um !

Agnif
    Stonebridge Sports & Classics ltd
    15 Great Pasture Rd Danbury, CT. 06810 (203) 744-1120
    www.cryosciencetechnologies.com
    Cryogenic Processing · REM-ISF Processing · Race Prep & Driver Development

Liked: 96

That's a silly question...
    We love photos! Post away! As long as Keith & Doug don't mind....
    "I love the smell of race fuel in the morning. It smells like victory!"
    Barry Wilcock
    Pit Crew: Tumenas Motorsports/Houndspeed, Fat Boy Racing

Contributing Member triumph_tech's Avatar
    Liked: 8

I took about 700 shots between Friday practice and the Saturday and Sunday races, let me know if is any other shots you would like to see.
    Gary Valone #44
    Zink Z10-C

Liked: 553

Let me guess. They didn't throw the green.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

Certainly explains why we went around another lap.
    At least they didn't count the second pace lap as one of the 8 race laps.
    From 7th on the grid I was wondering why no green as the front 5 rows were perfect, as you can see. Couldn't see the chaos erupting behind.

Liked: 5

8 lap race?!?!?!?!? Are you kidding? I know its a long track but geez!

So what caused all that braking? I would imagine everyone was rolling, even without a green no one shoulda slammed on the brakes for a waveoff...

Gary post more those are entertaining.. wish i coulda been there with ya.
    Dani

#24 1977 Lola T440
    New York
    FRCCA Metro Region

"Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy ****...what a ride!"

Its not the speed, its the sudden stop....

Contributing Member
    Liked: 0

Default No Green

From my vantage point on the outside of the 7th row, we came around the last corner onto the straight and began to accelerate slightly in anticipation of a green -- all of the sudden we were all over the brakes and Petzko (inside of row 6) nipped Graham's rear tire. In re-playing it, it would have been a very late green had it been given and I think the back accordian'ed into the front as we accelerated to close up ranks and then the green didn't come out.

There's also UNCONFIRMED RUMOR that the wave-off was to allow two cars that were late to the grid and waiting on pit lane to join the rear and take the green flag with the rest of us.

Contributing Member

Default 8 Laps

8 lap race?!?!?!?!? Are you kidding? I know its a long track but geez!
    This was drivers choice -- the event was so succcessful that we had over 60 cars in the FF/F500/FV race group on the short course (2.45 mile). All of the drivers, sensed the potential danger of having so many cars on the track with the speed differentials we were seeing -- we talked this out with the race stewards and agreed to split the race group (ony FF and CF in group 1 and 500's and Vees in group 1a) and split the scheduled 15 lap race into 8 laps for each group to allow the FLR to maintain a schedule and get everyone home at a decent hour on Sunday.

Default 8 laps was good

If they hadn't split the group it would still have been an 8 lap race. The other 7 laps would have been double-yellow behind the pace car!!!

Default Not the only messed up start...

I saw that start. If you guys had been running the Long Course, that might not have been a wave-off, given the long pace lap speed recycle time and tight schedule. All you guys put on a great show. It was fun seeing 30 FF1600 cars going at it. It was almost like the late Seventies again.

We, too, had an accordion start in the Spec Racer race late Sunday and it screwed a few of us up, with locked brakes and sudden evasive maneuvers. (I seem to recall that maintaining the speed of the pace car after it releases is a rule these days.)

Right after that we had a multi-car shunt at the top of the Esses on the first lap that sent Jon Beeler to the hospital in a helo. He has a relatively minor leg fracture and will be okay, but his car totaled. That chassis is really twisted. What a mess. A totaled Spec Racer is a rare and sorry sight. Sigh.

Then, after a nearly half-hour re-grid delay in the pits, we re-started and the son of one of the guys involved in the big first lap shunt smacked the outside barrier at Turn 11 and we only got maybe three laps at race speed before being kicked off with a checker. Screw it. We deserved it. We cut our losses, loaded up and got of there, except for the drivers involved in the protest of one driver for rough driving. SOMs were in session until well after 7:30. "Gentlemen, start your videos..."

By the way, I saw WGI's published spectator event schedule for next season and the Fun One is now on it. First time in my memory that The Glen will be selling tickets for an SCCA Regional.

Contributing Member

Default Fun One '08

By the way, I saw WGI's published spectator event schedule for next season and the Fun One is now on it. First time in my memory that The Glen will be selling tickets for an SCCA Regional.
    I'll have to think about how we can use victory circle to make a big deal out of the New England Challenge race winners and Season Champions (since this is our last event of the year)

Thread Information