Contributing Member Richard Dziak's Avatar
    Liked: 3

Default Phoenix F1K.07 Run Review

Ok, you all have seen my posts, seen photos of the car. I stated that once the car was delivered, I would write a review with both positive and negative comments as an owner of the car.

So far there has been NO review of the other constructor built cars. We have only seen photos or short comments on cars like the Stohr.

My Phoenix was ordered in Feb 2007 with from Phoenix Race Works LLC. The car was ordered blind, in the concept stage. No prototype even existed. The order was placed with Phoenix due to the up-front and informative approach here on ApexSpeed.com. I took a big chance from nothing to reality. The prototype was built and tested and then proiduction began. I sent hundreds of emails to Matt Conrad at Phoenix and he was very quick to respond. I never spoke with Matt directly, only emails back and forth. The process went well. Only until a month before the car was completed did I actually speak with Matt Conrad at Phoenix over the issue of paint. I then flew to Phoenix 3 weeks before the car was completed for fitting of steering post, the pedals and the beaded seat. It was a fly in and out the same day. The car was finally delivered in late August. When the car rolled out of Matt's personal trailer, which he personally delivered the car to me, I could not believe my eyes. The car was awesome, stunning with my exact color that I requested Ford E4 Bright Red. The paint job was very well done, and the side strakes added a great touch to the car. Once rolled into the garage within days my small amount of graphics which I had previously ordered and was ready to apply went onto the car. The graphics, numbers and a special touch of New Mexico Zia theme made the car look even better. I just couldn't wait to test the car. so I jumped in after looking at it for 3 days and put 5 laps on the car around my 1 mile loop in the neighbothood, YES neighborhood. No cops called.......but could only get up to 70 mph. It was a quick test and the car felt good.

I couldn't wait for the first race. I made an upgrade to a Sabelt harness and sent the Crow harness which was installed in the car back to Phoenix Race Works for a race credit, Matt sells all sorts of F1000 parts) as I did not like the belts personally. This was a personal choice.

I entered the race at Phoenix International Raceway as a member of the Arizona Region. Once the car arrived in Phoenix at PIR, racers from all over the paddock showed up, just glaring at the new Phoenix. Once the cars back engine cover was removed, the stares and glaring looks was in amazment over the quality build of the car. Matt was there to carefully introduce the car and make explainations. That was Saturday afternoon. It was a rough time sleeping that night with PIR just down the road and the thought of racing and testing the car. So off to the track very early, the Arizona SCCA gave me a personal ride on the race course to get aquainted with the track at PIR. With seating for 75,000 fans it is an awesome track and awesome experience. I fired up the car and off I went for my 1st practice. The car ran flawlessly on the 1.51 main road race course. The AIM Dash worked excellent and Matt had previously set up all shift points and the IR beams on the side of the track inserted my laps times. 1st practice best lap was in the 1:18 range. The car was fast and intimidating to me. More than what I could handle. One hour later... practice session #2 ... out on track with lap times improving to 1:13's. After the 1st and 2nd practice, I did not remove the engine cover as I went over the car at home prior to driving to Phoenix, to tighten up all nuts and bolts etc. In addition, before the car was delivered, I paid Matt to have the car professionally set up for PIR. No problems at all with the first 2 practice sessions...it felt and ran incredible. It was extremely easy to learn the gear box, very smooth, very short shifts. The George Dean engine ran great. Then time to qualify. Qualifing time went down to 1:11 and was an improvement of a quick 7 seconds. After qualifing, I lifted the engine cover, to report NO problems, no oil leaks, NOTHING. Just added 2 gallons of gas, applied the chain wax to the chain. Ready to race. Off to the grid, and the car ran great, flawlessly, and off to the first victory in the Phoenix F1K.07. It felt great to approach the finish of the race and get handed a checkered flag for the victory lap, which I could not make. The battery died and no power. Couldn't get the car started as the dash read 11.1 volts. PUshed her to impound and weighed in at 1073 pounds. So I spoke with Matt and he ackowledged a possible drain on the battery which was the only problem. The car felt great and the steering column, peddles, seat all custom fit to my legs, arms and body. The first Lap Record was set at PIR at 1:11.67...not the fastest as Matt in qualifing did a 1:01, but did he not make the race as he had engine failure with his car. He could have had an overall podium finish of all classes entered.

The Phoenix F1K.07 is an awesome machine. I have no regrets ordering the car blind. I suggest that anyone wanting to select a F1000 turn-key car, consider the Phoenix. At least talk with them. It was much more powerful than I thought and the car is way more powerful than I can handle so far. So only one event, and time will help me know the car better. One win down for the Phoenix, setting a lap record at PIR from Richard Dziak and a big victory for Matt Conrad and Dustin Wright the builders. I will be back in Phoenix at Firebird Lake with a car that is awesome in looks and image, awesome in power and performance from 2 awesome car builders. Consider the Phoenix for your new F1000 Formula race car. Can't wait until Oct 13...14th for another go. I am a racer out for fun and enjoyment and with this car, it was very achieveable. With proper care, the Phoenix will last me my racing lifetime.

Matt acknowledged some problems with grounding and he will be at Firebird Lake to resolve the grounding problem. In the meantime, I will connect my battery tender to recharge the car and there is nothing to do to the car, except look it until the next race. Oh, I do need to clean of the rubber marks from tire debris hitting the car, which tells you, I was not at the front of the pack, but near the end. Still an awesome ride in an awesome machine, the Phoenix F1K.07 Formula F1000. It was great have a first win, and establish a new Richard Dziak Lap Record at PIR. It felt great. I am sure that this record won't last long. With a top notch driver, this car can win big races and most likely a National Championship.
    Last edited by Richard Dziak; 09.17.07 at 3:18 PM.
    Richard Dziak
    Las Cruces, New Mexico
    Former Phoenix F1K-07 F1000 #77 owner/driver
    email: sonewmexico@gmail.com

Contributing Member
    Liked: 3

Congratulations Richard. That was a very nice post. Enjoy your car. Matt is a straight up guy and should be applauded for all his work and Dustin.

Have fun.

Scott Dick

Thread Information