Liked: 0

Default Wingless-MC powered-Danny Collins

I have a wingless 1000cc car that was raced in the Colorado Region, and, that I think was built by Danny Collins - Its in reasonably good order as far as I can tell with my near complete lack of knowledge re: this type of car. If anyone know anything about it I'd appreciate any info. I'd like to run it even if just at some track day events but I have not much idea about what opportunities or possibilities exist for this car. (I'm in Cheyenne - near Denver.) If its not good for anything, I'll probably part it out and sell the trailer.
    Last edited by 2638a; 09.17.07 at 1:10 AM.

Liked: 77

First, it appears that the car has already run in FS. Did you get an SCCA log book and homologation certificate with the car? If so, you can run it that way without any hassles - after you (or someone you know) goes through the car to make sure it won't fall apart the first time you take it out.

Second, if you want to run it as an F1000, you would have to (at a minimum) add wings to it. This would involve some significant fabrication, but it shouldn't be enormously expensive. Of course, you would need to go through the F1000 rules to be sure you meet all the other requirements of the class, including all the safety-related items such as front impact attenuator, and that the chassis construction meets the specifications.

Dave

Liked: 702

Dave beat me to it, but here is the F1000 rule book.
    http://www.scca.org/documents/Club%2...FormulaCar.pdf
    Read it thoroughly to see if your car could be made eligible. There are several F1000s (FBs) running in Colorado.
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

www.gyrodynamics.net

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Could just be the photo, but it looks like the roll bar diameter may be too small for SCCA club racing.
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Liked: 210

It does have an SCCA sticker on it. And, there appears to be a tech inspection sticker on the role bar. Can you read the tech sticker (if it is one)??

Not sure what the Fjr/S means for a class. But it may have been run in SCCA F/S which is an open 'run-what-you-brung' open wheel group. You said Collins built it. But, was it a from scratch build or is it a known chassis? Is there a chassis number plate in the car? Sure looks like it started life as an Formula Ford.

Yes, your local track(s) probably run open lapping days where you could take it out. Or yes, it may be legal in SCCA F/S racing. Most tracks require some kind of basic "lapping" school or other road racing (like SCCA) school experience before allowing you to run their lap sessions.

Go to some SCCA or other sanctioning body events in the area next year. Take some photos with you and perhaps you can hook up with a knowledgable formula car driver that can help you sort things out. If nothing else, you could most certainly run it in local SCCA SOLO events.

Cosmetically the car looks good. Any pictures with the body work off?

But yes, if you want to run it I'm sure you can find a place.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Liked: 162

That was Danny's car, and it ran in the FS formula class (under 1100 cc, see Colorado SCCA site, archived race results). Danny promoted the "Pocket Rocket" name--I believe it was his own design, probably built somewhere local to Denver. Danny's a Colorado legend, and you have a neat piece there.
    There is a glitch in the continuum...

Contributing Member
    Liked: 8

Default Homologation

You can apply for homologation with the SCCA. Their web site lists the homologation check list. Copy the list, print it, and use it as a check list. You'll need to send in some pictures with it, but it's not all that difficult.

Cheyenne, WY, is a pretty far tow to the nearest road course, so I'd try to ensure that I got the car homologated before going to an SCCA event.

If you look at the checklist and have any questions, just post 'em here. There will be plenty of opinions in response.

Good luck!
    Larry Oliver
    International Racing Products
    Larry Oliver

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

My guess with that class designation that it was run in local autocross or solo events. It would have to already be homogated to have been roadraced in SCCA. Roll bar still looks small.
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Liked: 3

Is that a homebuilt chassis or a FF converted to the 1000 engine?

Andrew

Thread Information