Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Liked: 210

This won't be easy. Sure it's a W196. But it's a historics race. Do you know your helmets???
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Classifieds Super License teamwisconsin's Avatar
    Liked: 565

david coulthard at goodwood
    Ethan Shippert
    http://shippertracingservices.com
    https://www.norwestff.com

"l'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace!"

Liked: 0

as autosport used to call him in the early days, David Cool Thud

Yikes! Only 59 minutes to figure out David. Man you guys spend way too much time on this motor racing thing

This ones so old. Even I never saw him race! Do you really even need hints? Gotta love the helmet, roll bar and harness.

Tazio Nuvolari. 1936 German GP.

Just kidding about the year and circuit!

Right on the driver Brands and the track. But as I recall, it was an overcast day for the '36 German GP. That picture must have been 1935

Now my all time boyhood hero. None better ever have raced. And it wasn't the CAR that made the man (like a 'certain' modern day F1 Champ), he won no matter which F1 Marque he was driving that day.

Oh, and not to make it so easy. Can you name his fellow country man who was his team mate on occasion??

Hmmm tricky. Would Fangio's team mate have been the 'Pampas Bull'? Can't think of any other Argentinian drivers. My knowledge of this era is pretty slim I'm afraid. No real clues as to the circuit or year I'm afraid. I saw Froilan Gonzalez at Goodwood a few years back. He was driving the BRM V16 and wearing his original crash helmet - such as it was. A real step back in time and a magical moment. A black and white hero from the history books.
    Last edited by Brands; 09.20.07 at 6:14 PM.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 5

Saw this on Ebay. Driver? Car? Circuit? How about the blue car?

Classifieds Super License teamwisconsin's Avatar
    Liked: 565

gotta be the san jose champcar circuit with that train crossing... for real though, i'd guess watkins glen, early 50's but i'm not sure drivers of either car. the lead car looks like an alfa...
    Ethan Shippert
    http://shippertracingservices.com
    https://www.norwestff.com

"l'audace, l'audace, toujours l'audace!"

Brands, for not knowing, you know. The driver was easy.. and yup Froilan was the team mate on occasion.

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 414

Type 35 Bugatti?
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

A Moto GP and F1 Champion. Rare to make it in both even to this day.

If this goes on about another 6 months, I'm gonna have to search for some. These are all stored on my machine

Default maybe..

Mike "The Bike" Hailwood?

Beep! Nope not Hailwood

Going to be at the track this weekend so here's a double up for you nostalgia buffs.

Never a champion but a hard charger in Formula One. His driving style could be compared to Paul Tracy of today. It was always fun to read magazine F1 reports when they talked about him! He is still living

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

Bikes and FI World Champ is John Surtees.

Then Clay Regazzoni, in a Ferrari.

The Watkins Glen poster is of George Weavers "Poison 'Lil", a pre war Maserati R1 GP car.
    I worked for the International Motor Racing Research Center in Watkins for most of a year, Georges widow Barbara still owns the car, complete with huge hole in the side of the block where a rod made a break for freedom in or around 1958. We had it on loan on display for a few months.

Liked: 6

I don't think it is Clay. Clay always had a moustache and he died last year - car crash in Italy (I think).

Clay did wind up with a real Pancho Villa moustache, didn't he ? But I see in one of my books that early on he was clean shaven.
    But I think you are correct, sadly, he was killed in a road car accident not all that long ago.

Contributing Member

Nice, Mike! It's a John Bishop painting of the 1950 event at Watkins Glen. Mr. Weaver led the first lap of the first race at Watkins Glen in Poison 'Lil in 1948. In fact, he led the first lap of every race he entered in the car at the Glen from 1948 through 1952. The blue car is Bill Milliken in a Bugatti T-54. Mr. Milliken, a very notable suspension expert and road safety guru, was the technical director at Watkins Glen and wrote the supplemental regulations for the first race which stated every driver needed to wear a helmet and use a seat belt.

Another talented driver who, like Stephan Bellof lost his life in a sportscar crash.
    Last edited by Brands; 09.30.07 at 3:07 PM.

Liked: 9

Jo Gartner, in an Osella?

Quote Originally Posted by Brands View Post
    Another talented driver who, like Stephan Bellof lost his life in a sportscar crash.
    -----------------------
    Carbir DS3 FB #09

Liked: 25

Is it Manfred Winkelhock?
    Dave

Liked: 25

I think you're right, Jo Gartner.
    Dave

Surtees is correct and so is Clay.

Gianclaudio (Clay) Regazzoni. Although Italian (which is why he ran for Ferrari so many years) he claimed Swiss nationality. Many F1 guys did to avoid taxes He did race many years with a mustache. But this photo was pre that growth.

RegazzonI was seriously injured in the 1980 F1 race at Long Beach. Although partially paralized, he did continue to race in sports cars until 1996 when the FIA refused to licnense him for the coming year. He spent his remaining years on Swiss TV as an F1 commentator.
    Last edited by rickb99; 04.23.09 at 2:39 PM.

Rick

I saw Clay up close at Mosport back in '72 (back when you could actually get close to these guys) He had a moustache back then.

If it is Clay... How come your post said still living?

What was the year/car/track in the photo?

Maybe a new section "Trivia" should be started.

How about the derivation of team names? Anyone know why the team was named "Shadow?" or "Ensign?"
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

Wee, I didn't hear that Clay had moved on to that great race track in the sky until the posting above

Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

Liked: 1

Default Ensign

It was started by Mo Mun, and they built the first car, a FN3 marked out on a garage floor, they didn't have a jig at that stage
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Warner View Post
    Maybe a new section "Trivia" should be started.

How about the derivation of team names? Anyone know why the team was named "Shadow?" or "Ensign?"
    I don't know either one, so here are a few guesses:

Shadow: 1) Where Trevor Harris lives, Shadow Hills, or perhaps because of the rumors of Don Nichols being ex-CIA, or perhaps because of DN's shadowy past and perhaps him wanting to perpetuate the "shadowy" rumors, or perhaps just to make fun of the rumors, or..

Ensign: So I was thinking maybe just a play on words, like "N" sign, as in sign of N for Nunn? I think you would have to know Mo Nunn to know what it really means.

I sure hope someone really knows, cause my interest is piqued on this one.

On Clay Regazzoni and his crash at LBGP, I saw it and at the time I was sure he aimed directly at the Brabham to scrub speed before the big hit. I guess later testimony in court refuted this idea, but I swear that is what it looked like to me. I remember thinking, "what a very cool move, split second decision to avert certain death."

Liked: 1

Default Mo Nunn

Its the sigtn of his name, I was wrong on the first car, it was the LNF1, but was built in his garage in Walsall in 1970, I am trying to build up a replica of the LNF3, as I have a car which is/ or appears similar in construction, but I will use a Alfa engine, cheaper, I have tons of bits, and don't fall apart like a Lotus Twin cam, its my long term project.
    In 1973 they moved into F1, with backing from Rikki von Opel, but they never did very well, due to car failures, but some well known drivers have passed through the team, Mo sold out to Teddy Yip about 1982 and after a year with him went off to the states to work in Indycar racing, and I think he is with Chip Ganassi. I have always like the look of his cars, aqnd I think the LNF3 was a very good looking car of those early slick and wing cars.
    Roger

Default Ensign

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Eade View Post
    Its the sigtn of his name....
    Roger
    Not sure I understand, I am very interested now, so please explain to your slower brother.

Bill and Roger are correct. I had the good fortune of having dinner with Mo and his wife at Indy several years ago and asked the question. It is indeed the "Sign of N(unn)" although the word in the King's English means a "banner or flag."

As for Shadow, there have always been the theories that it had something to do with Don Nichols' shadowy past (even reported by Autosport a couple of months ago) but not so. Nor is it associated with any locale. Over lunch several years ago I asked Don the question. When he, George Follmer, et al were in the process of designing the DN-1 they were coming up with the concept that the thinner (lower) the car the better it would go through the air. (If you've seen the DN-1 you'll understand - a brutal beastie - a go-kart with almost 500 hp.) Someone asked "what's the thinnest thing there is" to which someone said "a shadow." (the only two dimensional thing they could think of) and the name was born.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Warner View Post
    Bill and Roger are correct. I had the good fortune of having dinner with Mo and his wife at Indy several years ago and asked the question. It is indeed the "Sign of N(unn)" although the word in the King's English means a "banner or flag."

As for Shadow, there have always been the theories that it had something to do with Don Nichols' shadowy past (even reported by Autosport a couple of months ago) but not so. Nor is it associated with any locale. Over lunch several years ago I asked Don the question. When he, George Follmer, et al were in the process of designing the DN-1 they were coming up with the concept that the thinner (lower) the car the better it would go through the air. (If you've seen the DN-1 you'll understand - a brutal beastie - a go-kart with almost 500 hp.) Someone asked "what's the thinnest thing there is" to which someone said "a shadow." (the only two dimensional thing they could think of) and the name was born.
    Charles,

Thanks for sharing that, great stuff.

Default Who and What is this?

Here is a question for all of you trivia guys!
    I know the year and location, but what is the car and who is the driver?

Brian Redman in one of Carl Haas's Lola T330-332 F5000 cars, he [and they] won many many races and numerous F5000 championships in the 1970's. The car evolved ultimately into a full bodied center seat Can Am car for the final versions of that series in the early 80's.

Wow! Only took 15 minutes to get the correct response. So how about this one? Same track (Mosport - 1974)

Wee Bobby
    Haggis Racing

Default Mosport 1974

Eppie Wietzes, Ferrari 512M

I propose a man law. list if you knew the answer yourself or had to use outside help (google, books, etc).

Ex. Brian Redman lola 332 mosport 1973 nh (no help) or hh(had help)

Google makes this too easy and negates the thousands of hours I spent in my youth building a book collection and reading extensively.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb99 View Post
    Okay, it's hard to believe but, my FIRST racing helmet was painted just like the driver on the left! And yes, it was a legal helmet...

Can you name these two world class drivers and the track. Although the helmets were less colorful in this era, you still knew which head was inside just by the style and the way they held their head in the car.

Dint know the answer to this one, but I like it as a wallpaper!!!!!!
    Thanx for the pic!!!
    Jeff Handley
    Reynard 84sF
    cainesgrandad@yahoo.com ยท www.reynardowners.com
    "Luck is when preparation meets opportunity."Roger Penske

Liked: 2

Default i've been enjoying

AutoWeek's "50 years of Automotive Passion" and in their Sept 17th issue is a picture of Jackie Stewart on his way to his first ever F1 victory at Monza. And I have to say that I sure wish today's F1 cars were as pretty as photo of he and Graham Hill. To me aerodynamics are more suited for air planes. Race cars should be something you drive and not control with appendages....O.k. so they would be slower, well my VanDieman isn't very fast but it sure gets my attention.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information