Thread: AIM Setup Help

Liked: 3

Default AIM Setup Help

Help!

I am trying to setup the Throttle Position and Gear Selection switches on my AIM XG Log system tonight.

I am running a 2005/6 GSXR motor.

The instructions from Veracity state that I should use a vampire clip to connect the TPS – “use the Pink wire on right side of motor - look for a white three prong connector”. (My TPS has Red/Blue/Black wires and none of them seems to act as a ‘zero based POT’).

The Gear Position is more enraging. I have tried connecting both the Pink wire on the left side of the engine (per Veracity) and the White/Green wire to the dash (per George Dean). Both seem to work and come up with reasonable values (3620-3635 range). The problem comes during calibration. I set Neutral first, and by the time I calibrate 2nd or 3rd gear I get a repeated value. When I transfer any of these to the car the gear position indicator just dances around. UUUUUGGGGHHH!

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Sean

Liked: 285

Have you got a wiring diagram for that year engine? From the diagram can we determine the "signal" wire from the TPS.

If not, then look at the TPS sensor -- every one I have ever seen has three contacts in a row, and the signal wire is the one in the middle. Either install the vampire clip onto this wire, or using a straight pin, pierce the insulation of this wire, and with the ECU on, measure the voltage of this wire (relative to the ECU/chassis ground) while varying the throttle. You should see values in the 0 - 4 volt range.

Now the gear position sensor (which has always been a pink wire (might have a white stripe) has proven to be more problematic on the latest generation GSXR engines -- one of the problems is that the neutral and 6th gear are very close in value, and for many folks the AIM displays "0" when you get to 6th gear. Again, connect the vampire clip to this wire, or poke a pin through the insulation and veriy that voltage vary from about 1.7 volts to 4.6 volts when the ECU is on.

Next, the F1000 installations we've worked with seem to give different readings when the engine is running (it's like the reference voltage is different). Sometimes we can calibrate with the engine running to get around this, but it's been a struggle. To me it feels like some ECU ground is not connected to the chassis ground -- but that may just be the wiring harness of the couple of cars I've looked at.
    David Ferguson
    Veracity Racing Data
    Shift RPM App for iOS
    805-238-1699

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

Are you using an AIM TPS or one off the bike motor? I'd look for a bike motor schematic and verify the TPS by putting an ohmmeter across the wiper and one end of the pot. Move the throttle and see where the reading goes. You might have to move to the other end of the pot, depending on how it's connected. That gives you resistance. If there's a bias across the pot when you fire up the motor, then the output will be voltage. If the AIM is supplying a reference voltage to use in calculating ohms and you feed it another voltage it will probably go nuts.

Same thing with the gear sensor. As I understand it, the bike gear sensors are just pots, so each gear gives a specific number of ohms. However, the AIM will calculate gear based on wheelspeed and engine RPM, so you have to "teach" it the proper gears on a warm-up lap. I find that to be a pain. Why the gurus at AIM don't allow you to simply enter in the gear and rear-end ratios and let the software do the work on the front-end is a mystery to me. Make sure you've selected the correct method in the setup page.

Thread Information