Thread: Pump Gas

Liked: 553

Default Pump Gas

1. Is it safe to assume pretty much all pump gas fits the FB rules?

2. Any opinions regarding good or bad gas to use?

From the GCR:
    Class: All Prepared, FB, SS, SM, T, IT, SRF, Olds SR running as CSR
    Type: Gasoline w/ no added oil
    DC Max: 15
    Reagent A: N/A
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 0

Quote Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
    1. Is it safe to assume pretty much all pump gas fits the FB rules?

2. Any opinions regarding good or bad gas to use?

From the GCR:
    Class: All Prepared, FB, SS, SM, T, IT, SRF, Olds SR running as CSR
    Type: Gasoline w/ no added oil
    DC Max: 15
    Reagent A: N/A
    I guess it depends on your definition of pump gas. If you mean a street unleaded, absolutely not! No unleaded is legal per the SCCA defnition.

If you mean a racing gas, maybe. But don't let it sit around too long, or take it to a different track, because it might not pass a test there!

If I was worried about it, I would simply buy new gas at the track when I arrive, and use any leftover gas when I leave in the lawn mower. You just need to change plugs more often!

Marty

BTW, I asked Geoge Dean whether we would be better off running a lower octane racing gas; he said that a 100 octane gas might make 1 or 2 more horsepower, but it would run hotter as well. He recommends 110 octane for his engines.
    Last edited by martyb; 09.06.07 at 10:39 PM. Reason: added more info.
    Marty Bose - #1 gopher, GonMad Racing

Quote Originally Posted by martyb View Post
    I guess it depends on your definition of pump gas. If you mean a street unleaded, absolutely not! No unleaded is legal per the SCCA defnition.
    No kidding. Actually, yes, I was thinking I would be able to go to any gas station and buy gas to run in the FB race car. Does the GCR say no unleaded gas? (*) Or is that what the DC Max indicates?

Dang. I thought in FB I'd be able to move away from the ridiculous cost of racing gas. I wonder why SCCA doesn't want us to use commonly available gasoline?

* I did a search. The GCR has no reference to unleaded gas.
    Last edited by RussMcB; 09.07.07 at 7:57 AM.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 77

Quote Originally Posted by martyb View Post
    Not true, Marty. Typical unleaded street gas will pass the "DC max 15" test (although I suppose some additive packages might do something to bust the test). That first line in the GCR table is for unleaded fuel. It is only allowed in the specified classes (of which FB is one). If you are really concerned about this, buy a small amount of the fuel and get it tested at the track.
    ... But don't let it sit around too long, or take it to a different track, because it might not pass a test there!
    That is probably good advice. I know that if I don't put Stabil in my unleaded generator gas, I'm asking for trouble.
    BTW, I asked Geoge Dean whether we would be better off running a lower octane racing gas; he said that a 100 octane gas might make 1 or 2 more horsepower, but it would run hotter as well. He recommends 110 octane for his engines.
    The FB engines are basically street engines. They are intended to run on pump gas, unlike George's race engines. Because they are running at peak rpm a lot more than a (typical) street bike, choosing a higher (93) octane might make sense.

Dave

Liked: 59

The fuel requirements for FE as stated in the Formula car specifications for FE (pg. 170) are that "Fuel shall meet the requirements for IT per the GCR." Despite the fact that looking only at the table on page 83 would cause one to believe we should be included in the second line: "all other classes." Dave - is that something we should send a letter to the CRB to have clarified - i.e. add FE to the same line as FB? It's never been a problem before, and most of the guys I know run unleaded pump gas - from the gas station down the street.

Despite my diversion from the thread, I guess my point to Russ is that I have run unleaded pump gas, most of it containing ethanol, and have not had an issue with fuel testing, and I'm not aware of any of the other FE guys that run pump gas having a problem. Of course I don't think there's any guarantee of any gas, even race gas from the track, passing a particular test. And pump gas can be very inconsistent in its formulation. I went back to AVGAS because it smells better, produces a nice cocoa color in the exhaust pipe, and it's pretty much the same stuff every time.

Best regards,
    Eric
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.
    - Ted Williams

Quote Originally Posted by Eric Cruz View Post
    The fuel requirements for FE as stated in the Formula car specifications for FE (pg. 170) are that "Fuel shall meet the requirements for IT per the GCR." Despite the fact that looking only at the table on page 83 would cause one to believe we should be included in the second line: "all other classes." Dave - is that something we should send a letter to the CRB to have clarified - i.e. add FE to the same line as FB? It's never been a problem before, and most of the guys I know run unleaded pump gas - from the gas station down the street.

Best regards,
    Eric
    Good point, Eric. Don't write. I'll get it in the mill from the advisory committee end. It should be a no-brainer. Look for it in the 2008 GCR.

Dave

Thanks, guys. Good info.

I REALLY like the idea of being able to buy my race gas at one of the zillion gas stations I drive by every day.

I agree that you cannot be completely confident about the quality or SCCA legality of ANY gas you use. Some are probably much better than others, but if you really want to be legal you have to have your gas tested, use it that weekend only, and make sure there is no break in the chain of evidence (i.e., you use only the gas that was tested with no mixing with anything else, don't let it sit in the sun, etc.).

I'd like to use AVGAS, but don't think there is any easy and legal way for me to get it.

Since SCCA introduced the fuel rules a few years ago, I have only been asked once to give one sample. That was during that first year. I have not been asked since (dozens of races). The fuel I use doesn't seem very important to SCCA, at least at the regional level races I've attended. It is very tempting to use whatever is easily obtainable and inexpensive and just say screw it - if I fail, I fail - a victim of a well intentioned but badly implemented rule. I would not be happy about being penalized, but at least I'd be innocent in my own mind because I wasn't trying to cheat to have an advantage and possibly expose competitors and workers to dangerous fuels. Maybe at the ARRC or some important race I'd be willing to take the extra steps to ensure legal fuel (but probably not).
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Also, it would be nice if I was allowed to run standard unleaded pump gas in my stock Hayabusa powered FS car. Everything else is pretty much unlimited in this class.
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Liked: 11

I do run regular unleaded about 1/2 the time. Sometimes, its just easier to get fuel at the track and not have to cart around 10-15g of fuel in the trailer. When I do get fuel at the track I always get the unleaded version... (98 octane?)
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Default Av Gas

We have always used Av Gas. The quality control and consistancy is much greater. Seems they don't want planes falling from the sky for some reason. You can usually find it in any city where there is a municipal airport.

http://www.airnav.com/fuel/greatdeals/long?type=1
    Ian MacLeod
    "Happy Hour: 5:00 - 5:30"
    Tatuus F1k

Quote Originally Posted by sidney View Post
    We have always used Av Gas. The quality control and consistancy is much greater. Seems they don't want planes falling from the sky for some reason. You can usually find it in any city where there is a municipal airport.

http://www.airnav.com/fuel/greatdeals/long?type=1
    I thought there was a requirement that you had to prove it was for an airplane. Something about requiring a tail number?
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Russ, Most pumps at airports require you to enter a tail #. All you have to do is enter the tail # from the nearest plane
    JR

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most ! "

Default fuel

For what its worth, several of the engine builders we use recommend leaded fuel since these little engines run at a much higher consistent rpm than a street bike. The lead helps lubricate and cushion the expensive titanium valves that are in most of todays performance motorcycle engines. Valve replacement is the largest parts cost of a rebuild on a stock engine.

Bill Vogeley
    Stohr Cars North America

Default Russ, AVGAS is available near you

I get my AVGAS from McCollum. Had to show them a picture of the vehicle at first to convince them I was not using it in a street vehicle, but now I just use the 'tail number' I have established with them. The tail number is related to my car.

They pump it for me into my 5-gal fuel jugs.

Poma knows of a self-serve avgas location, but apparently it is further out.

I still have the empty 55 gal VP drum that I got from you. I can get it filled (maybe) if you need that much.
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    re: Sean's post below. I usually get 15 gal/weekend, includes test day. so 3 guys can split a drum filled with 45 gal + 5 gal for buffer. Don't know what the fuel use for MC engine is, though. Should be more fuel efficient than a pinto motor for sure.
    Last edited by rickjohnson356; 09.08.07 at 9:52 AM. Reason: added note for sharing fuel

Might be cool to get 55g in the spring...
    I've been run off from a couple different airports so I quit trying.
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Liked: 59

Didn't mean to start the AVGAS thing again. I think it just depends on the airport. Nice little Mrs. Waltrip that owns the Williamsburg airport (General Aviation Facility) doesn't require anything more than money - and if it's cash, you get about a 10 cent discount. I did give them a picture of my car a year or so ago, just because they wanted one to hang on the wall....

Best regards,
    Eric
    If you don't think too good, don't think too much.
    - Ted Williams

Contributing Member Richard Dziak's Avatar
    Liked: 3

FYI:

This past weekend at Phoenix International Raceway, I used pump gas for the new Phoenix F1000. Although it was prepared by George Dean, nothing was modified on internal parts to make it a real racing engine. I ran the engine this past weekend within the rev limits set by George Dean directly and tried to shift about 11,500 rpms maximum. According to the dyno sheet, there is no need to push the engine higher as nothing is gained higher in HP at higher revs. GCR rules stated that for the F1000.....gasoline is allowed. I am not sure how my 91 Octane fuel would have tested out at any tech impound. The car ran great on standard 91 unleaded fuel, and I personally could not tell any difference or under performance in the car. For myself, out for fun and enjoying the sport, the costs of pump gas is just fine for me. Until I am proven wrong, or a higher octane will improve my track times, this gas will be fine for me. I consider my 2006 Suzuki stock engine, no different than a stock motorcycle that would fill up at a regular fuel pump. My Suzuki just has 4 wheels, not two.
    Richard Dziak
    Las Cruces, New Mexico
    Former Phoenix F1K-07 F1000 #77 owner/driver
    email: sonewmexico@gmail.com

Default Pump Gas v. Track Gas

Would the Pump gas have the same result in my Continental, or does the Pinto engine need the higher octane gasoline?
    Steve
    1984/86 Reynard SF2000
    WDC Region

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Quote Originally Posted by Steven McWilliams View Post
    Would the Pump gas have the same result in my Continental, or does the Pinto engine need the higher octane gasoline?
    Depends on how much you have increased the compression ratio.

By the way, it works great in my Ralt/stock Hayabusa.
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Liked: 597

Your 91 octane would have failed..........but use it anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Dziak View Post
    FYI:

This past weekend at Phoenix International Raceway, I used pump gas for the new Phoenix F1000. Although it was prepared by George Dean, nothing was modified on internal parts to make it a real racing engine. I ran the engine this past weekend within the rev limits set by George Dean directly and tried to shift about 11,500 rpms maximum. According to the dyno sheet, there is no need to push the engine higher as nothing is gained higher in HP at higher revs. GCR rules stated that for the F1000.....gasoline is allowed. I am not sure how my 91 Octane fuel would have tested out at any tech impound. The car ran great on standard 91 unleaded fuel, and I personally could not tell any difference or under performance in the car. For myself, out for fun and enjoying the sport, the costs of pump gas is just fine for me. Until I am proven wrong, or a higher octane will improve my track times, this gas will be fine for me. I consider my 2006 Suzuki stock engine, no different than a stock motorcycle that would fill up at a regular fuel pump. My Suzuki just has 4 wheels, not two.

Well...
    You can't really say that nothing is gained Richard. You've got to consider RPM drop-off when you shift. If you shift at a lower rpm, you will be in a lower rpm in the next gear and probably are losing power/ time by short shifting. You might not care, and I try to do the same thing on a test day to preserve the engine (try, but I often find myself bouncing off the rev-limiter at what, 12,700?).

The other factor worth considering is that street bikes have a lot less strain on the motors... less weight, less grip, not always floored and in high rpms.

I will run pump gas too but we have 93 here in Ga. 91 is our mid-grade and I really feel best running the 98 most tracks have.
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

As I said in posting #2 of this thread, George told us we should run 110 octane race gas in our GDRE F1000-spec GSXR; personally, I'll take his word for it!

Marty
    Marty Bose - #1 gopher, GonMad Racing

Liked: 309

I don't know if this applies to motorcycle engines, but the owner's manual for my turbo Talon states that it is safe to burn any gasoline, but that the ECU will pull timing and or boost out of the engine if one attempts full power with less than 93 octane gas. The message being that although the engine may run fine on 85-octane cat pee, to make full power it may need higher octane fuel.
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Clayton View Post
    85-octane cat pee
    How much does that cost and what's the DC Max?
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Thread Information