Liked: 553

Default Homologation for Converted Cars 10+ years old

After reading the "Converted Cars" paragragh below it seemed that minimal info needed to be sent. Seemed too good to be true. It was. I just talked to Jeremy @ SCCA. Once a car is 10 years old it needs to do the whole homologation package.

For those of you that think I'm complaining about something trivial, I probably am, but there is a bit of an effort to take 25 different pictures, various measurements, etc.

Russ

From: http://www.scca.org/Club/Index.asp?I...&x=030|057|030&~=

Converted Cars
    If your car has been homologated but you decide to change classes, your car will need to be re-homologated for that class.
    • Please send your original homologation certificate to the National Office along with pictures of the car showing the bodywork, and a description of the changes. We will then review your original forms to verify compliance with the rules for the new class.
    • In some cases, you may be required to complete the homologation request forms as outlined in the new design section.
    • There is no charge for a conversion.

Here is the paragragh I missed that pertains to my situation:

New Designs and chassis 10 years and older
    If your chassis is homebuilt, or a new design, you will need to complete a homologation request packet. Additionally, all cars that are ten years or older that have not been homologated, i.e. raced in pro series or other sanctioning body, will need to complete the homologation request packet.
    • The homologation request forms can be found by clicking on the link for the class needed. This will open a downloadable PDF that can be printed.
    • Once completed, the forms should be mailed into the National Office with the applicable fees. The forms will be reviewed and you will be advised of any additional information that may be needed.
    • New chassis of non-metallic composite construction shall be proven to meet the relevant FIA specifications/SCCA requirements prior to being submitted for homologation. These requirements can be found by clicking on the links titled FIA composite chassis specs.
    • The turn around time for this is typically two weeks.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 309

...all cars that are ten years or older that have not been homologated...
    Russ, has your car NEVER been homologated with SCCA? If it has, this does not pertain to you. Just send in the new photos. Stan
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

My car does have a homologation certificate. Jeremy said send it in and there would not be a fee for rehomologation. He said I still have the send in the whole package.

Too bad you're not running the Tech dept. :-).
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Contributing Member
    Liked: 110

Default Homologation

Russ - It really is not that big of a deal. I did it when I converted a formula car to DSR a couple years ago. Take some good pictures, send in the old homologation certificate and fill out what you can on the form. Jeremy will send you back a new homologation certificate - it really is easy and painless.

Jeremy is also one of the bright spots in our club. He is asked to do a lot of different things with not a lot of resources. He took good care of me and I'm sure he'll do the same for you.

By the way, the car looks great.

Liked: 309

Russ, I am confident the formula community doesn't want me running the Tech Dept...

When I rehomologated my car it might have taken me 3 minutes to print and fill out the form. Another 5 minutes to snap the pics. I sent in the form with the certificate and emailed the pics. Piece of pie!

And yes...Jeremy and John do an awesome job in the Tech Dept.

Stan
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 26

Default Homologation for Converted Cars 10+ years old

If all cars over 10 years old or older have to do the whole process then they need to update the listed requirements because the way they read now you should not have to.

John

I don't think most people are aware that some classes now have their own unique homologation forms. Maybe that's a recent change. For F1000 they explicitly list 24 different GCR sections and want a picture illustrating each one. I don't doubt that people were able to do it for their sports racer or FS car a few years ago in only 10 minutes, but this isn't the same.

I agree that Jeremy is an asset to the club and is always great to deal with. I didn't mean to imply otherwise.
    Last edited by RussMcB; 10.10.09 at 12:28 PM.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 11

I've got to agree w/ the other guys Russ- it was fairly painless. Your car is definately fits the rules... grab a digital camera and the list, go out and take the required pics, print them out (4 per page) on photo paper at home and send the packet in. Be sure to send it via FedEx/ DHL or UPS as you don't want your orig Homologation cert being lost- I even made photo copies of everything prior to sending it in.

Now if you'd built a one-off carbon tub it would be a different story!
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Quote Originally Posted by carnut169 View Post
    I've got to agree w/ the other guys Russ- it was fairly painless. Your car is definately fits the rules... grab a digital camera and the list, go out and take the required pics, print them out (4 per page) on photo paper at home and send the packet in. Be sure to send it via FedEx/ DHL or UPS as you don't want your orig Homologation cert being lost- I even made photo copies of everything prior to sending it in.

Now if you'd built a one-off carbon tub it would be a different story!
    I think you missed my point. Back when you did yours it WAS easy. When I did my RT-5 for FS it was easy, too. I think I took 12 easy, pretty generic, pictures.

When did you homologate your car? Before the new forms? Before your car was 11 years old? Did you have to send in pictures showing your fuel cell satisfied fuel cell FIA certifications and installation? How about pictures showing your car had no aerodynamic skirts? Catch can? Fire system? Belts? Firewalls? Mirrors? Towing eyes? Front and rear roll cage hoops and braces? Chain guards? Those things (and a dozen others) are explicitly listed as requiring pictures.

on edit:
    BTW, I thought it was interesting that the homologation form does not care about anti intrusion bars or panels.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Hey, I just realized something. You're all right. It's not difficult to get all those pictures and send them in. It dawned on me that the real reason it's bugging me is because if it was as easy as the younger-than-10-year-old cars process I could have had the homologation all done by now. However, my car doesn't have a catch can, rain light, mirrors and other silly stuff like that mounted yet. That means it's just something else I have to put off until later, one more thing to add to the list that keeps me from taking the car to races at Nashville & Roebling before there are no more opportunities to drive it before the ARRC.

Thanks. I feel better now. :-).
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Contributing Member problemchild's Avatar
    Liked: 4346

I did an FS car in 2005. I shot photos that included multiple items but did not go out of my way to show anything that was not requested. There were no pics of side protection or the front crashbox. The only issue that was questioned was that the catch can was not visable in any of the pics. While I found humor in the nature of the delay, the issue was easily resolved and I found the process to be painless.

I had much more problems with a license renewal where my doctor omitted to check my pulse ..... after giving me an EKG. According to the SCCA clerk that I delt with, it was an omission that made my application invalid and I had to go back to the doctor. Then the same clerk entered the expiration date wrong on my credit card, which kicked in extra charges, which I refused to pay, which she threatened to suspend my membership for, etc.
    It was eventually sorted out with an apology from Mr Johnson.

The tech dept seemed to be much more user-friendly! Like any inspection process, items that require yes/no verification like mirrors and catch cans, will get checked before items that require engineering studies.
    Greg Rice, RICERACEPREP.com
    F1600 Arrive-N-Drive for FRP and SCCA, FC SCCA also. Including Runoffs
    2020 & 2022 F1600 Champion, 2020 SCCA FF Champion, 2021 SCCA FC Champion,
    2016 F2000 Champion, Follow RiceRacePrep on Instagram.

Liked: 7

Russ,

Just be glad you didn't build it yourself. Not only would you be
    sending in 20 something pictures you would be doing finite
    element analysis and jumping through hoop and cartwheels and
    things like that. Since you started with a VD as a base car you
    shouldn't have alot of problems getting it passed. It just might
    take a little longer than you want it to. Hang in there.

Contributing Member D.T. Benner's Avatar
    Liked: 2

Default When they...

...Tell you you have to "crash test" it to prove how safe it is be sure to ask if you have to be IN IT during the test?

Quote Originally Posted by jerry freeman View Post
    Just be glad you didn't build it yourself. Not only would you be
    sending in 20 something pictures you would be doing finite
    element analysis and jumping through hoop and cartwheels and
    things like that. Since you started with a VD as a base car you
    shouldn't have alot of problems getting it passed. It just might
    take a little longer than you want it to. Hang in there.
    Good point.

I'm putting the package into the mail today. I did a few things a little earlier than I would have preferred (tail light, belts, catch can, etc.), but not a big deal in the scheme of things. Hopefully the new certificate will be in my hands in a couple of weeks.

Good luck with yours.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Thread Information