Thread: March Indy Car

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 237

Default March Indy Car

Jumped from the pan to the fire, just couldn't resist.
    I have an March 88c, looking for Buick turbo parts, and any suspension parts, also extra set of wheeels and road course wings.
    In particular I need a crank, rods and flywheel.
    Email with what you have.

Thanks

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 413

http://marchives.com

I also suggest most strongly that you do yourself a huge favor and get a professional shop used to dealing with Indy cars to go over the car thoroughly before you get into it. This ain't just your average formula car. It will make a fast atlantic seem like a spec racer and there are a lot of technical and mechanical items that Club race car maintenance experience just will not prepare you for. For my money you can't beat Greg Elliff at GEA in Indy. 1.317.442.6376
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Liked: 2

Default I would warn against GE Autosports....

and have more information if you choose to go that route. I do agree that these car require a certain level of 'upkeep' but I have been able to run my 87 March 87c with a minimal crew and maintain it successfully over the past 2 years (more exhibition type events, private test days at speed). THEY ARE FAST!

Christopher Shoemaker
    1987 March 87C
    --- Christopher Shoemaker
    1984 Royale RP36 (FF)

Liked: 6

Default GEA

Greg Elliff is one of the finest race car mechanics you will ever find

Liked: 47

Quote Originally Posted by Charles Warner View Post
    http://marchives.com
    there are a lot of technical and mechanical items that Club race car maintenance experience just will not prepare you for.

Just curious - what would a 1988 Indy car have on it that is so techy and that you don't see in modern day top flight club cars? I have a friend who has an Indy car and I know he is not an engineer or pretends he is, but he makes it sound like the maintanence is no different then his C sports racer.

Ian
    Ian Lenhart
    Level 11 Creative
    www.level11creative.com
    lenhart06@yahoo.com

Liked: 2

Default Greg Elliff is one of the ....

" Greg Elliff is one of the finest race car mechanics you will ever find "

- Thank goodness this is only your opinion...my comment related directly to the several civil lawsuits surrounding his business practices currently in progress. GE Autosports has also several complaints registered through the BBB and Consumer Advocates Division of the Attorney General. I think that anyone wishing to use his services needs to be careful and fully advised

This is not a forum in which to bash, but when it is all said and done: (1) Greg Elliff performed a simple oil change that almost damaged my turbo - Overfilled the sump pass the turbo return line. (2) Used Antifreeze in my coolant after a system flush - obviously this is not allowed by any sanctioning groups and required me to flush the system again.

If you want to discuss...feel free to reach out, but you will get no praise from me on this forum for Greg Eliff, his abilities, or business practices and I have the FACTS to back my statement up! Do you?
    --- Christopher Shoemaker
    1984 Royale RP36 (FF)

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 413

These cars are potentially twice as fast as an average SCCA racer. They put a lot more stress on their components. These components were designed with a very short life, often measured in just a few cycles. Club racers are notorious for running something until it breaks because they are too "frugal" to replace items or at least check them regularly. When was the last time your friend magnafluxed the suspension parts, gears, uprights, stub axles, half-shafts, CVs, rear wing mounts, or set the pre-load/examined the wheel bearings, checked and replaced rod ends, etc? These things should be done every year during the winter down time. To do less is just pushing the envelope. Does he even know if the tub has ever been damaged and was it repaired properly? (Remember the Ferrari F1 at Laguna?) Maybe your friend is just lucky. How will he feel when a rod end or A arm breaks under braking at 165 mph going into T1 at RA?

These are not your average cars. Maybe some people drive them the same way they drive a FF but the potential is certainly there. And remember, he's not out there by himself. A blown CV joint or broken half-shaft can send a car out of control in a heart-beat and into someone else.

BTW, these maintenance items also apply to the average Club racer but very few people I know ever pay attention to them until something breaks. Here's a thread from the SR BB relating to this very subject. 7 years?

http://p081.ezboard.com/fdsrforumfrm...icID=273.topic
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Liked: 123

I was chatting with someone yesterday about this. He had been at a party talking to the owner of a Maclaren Can-am car, and the original mechanic of the car back in the day joined the conversation. The current owner expressed the opinion that the cars were so well built and reliable, that he had such confidence in the car because when he had researched it's history he found that it had almost never retired from a race. Now that he was running the car it needed very little work. The mechanic said "that's because we routinely replaced just about every thing on the car, the suspension, the uprights, bearings, engines, gears - after every race. How long have you been running the car without doing that kind of critical maintenance?" Dead silence was the answer, basically...

Brian

Liked: 3

Default new parts for an old thread!

I know this thread is a year old, but i happen to stumble across it and thought i wouldn't be hurting anything if i added this:

I play with turbo buicks (turbo stage 1 mainly) and come across this. this is an ad for an absolutely perfect stage 2 motor on the turbobuicks.com forum.

http://www.turbobuick.com/forums/par...ace-ready.html

Liked: 0

Default Two Stage II Buicks

We have Two 274 C.I. Stage II Buicks.
    One fully rebuilt complete, the other complete with about 300 miles, it should probably be freshened. .
    Both motors come with all the belts and pulleys, SCP 3 stage pumps, distributors , flywheel , clutch and Tilton super starters.
    Not sure if they would be suited for a Turbo Charger application.

If interested please touch base with us at (302) 284 -8722
    Website = sanchezmotorsports.com
    CHEERS

Thread Information