Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Lime Rock

Contributing Member D.T. Benner's Avatar
    Liked: 2

Default Way to go Cole!

Congrats on a Great season!

Liked: 59

Congratulations Cole ! And also to your Dad and the Morgan team. Nice job. Great season.

Liked: 3308

Default To the champ!

Congrats, Cole. And congrats to Rob and all of St. Clair Motorsports. Job VERY well done.

Very impressive!
    Dave Weitzenhof

Liked: 1

Great Job Cole.

Thank you Rob St. Clair for aligning my car in a pinch, it saved my second race.

Charles Finelli

As for that front wing Cole was running, it was beautiful.

Charles Finelli

Liked: 0

Default Way to go Cole!

Congratulations Cole,

I have been listening to Cole since he was about 10yrs old telling us all how he was going to kick our &**(%'s. It seams as if he has backed his words up. You have worked hard to get it and you deserve it. With your big win I guess James and I will have to remove the "You Suck" from our pit boards.

Bill Vogeley
    10/Tenths Motorsport, Inc.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 215

Bill,
    You can leave it on the pit board for when I drive. Thanks to everyone for the help this year.

Liked: 91

Thank you to everyone who helped this season. It has been a great year. Hopefully I can move on and represent the F2000 Series proudly. I will definitely be back at the some of the races next year, watching/maybe driving.... Have a great off-season everyone.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 863

Nice going, Cole. WGI might be one thing to learn, but when you can come to LRP and smoke everybody the first time you see it- that says something about your driving talent.

I might comment on another driver- During the weekend Doug Prendeville drove 4 different cars with different gears, shocks, aero; started both races from the back of the grid (in different cars) and finished 7th, and 6th...not too shabby.

Huge thanks to all who participated in and supported our little adventure in its sophmore year- We'll be back. Stay tuned for 2008 schedules, rules, sponsorship type stuff, and other announcements over the course of the next few months. Contact Mike Rand at the Series number with questions and comments.
    ----------
    In memory of Joe Stimola and Glenn Phillips

Default Cole, Bob, Al, & Mike

Congrats to Cole--get famous, kid, so I can say I knew you!

Congrats also to Bob, Al, and Mike. As I wrote to Mike in e-mail; I've always heard about Formula Ford in its heyday, we are living in such a time now. I hope this series last for years to come, but nothing lasts forever, so I'm going to appreciate it now.

Thanks everyone, now who wants to start a Daytona Prototype team?!?!?!? Anybody? anybody?

Default Daytona prototype

I'm in.

Quote Originally Posted by Cole Morgan View Post
    Thanks everyone, now who wants to start a Daytona Prototype team?!?!?!? Anybody? anybody?
    I've heard the Gainsco team wants to run two cars next year. But I would like to see you stay in open wheel. We should have dropped you off at the Newman Wachs transporter when we were in Cleveland. But since I am just one lottery ticket away from becoming a MAJOR player....

I would like to stay open wheel too, but I really just want to drive a car fast. Champ Car, IRL, Grand-Am, IMSA, NASCAR I really don't care as long as I get to drive fast and hopefully win.

Now comes the hard part of the season, finding sponsorship, finding a ride, keeping my sanity...

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 492

Um, Cole ? I think you meant to say "finding your sanity"......not keeping it. You can't keep something you don't have......

Classifieds Super License Joefisherff's Avatar
    Liked: 103

Default Pot calling Kettle Black

What guy in his right mind would go and start a new racing series.....??????

Great job Mike, Purple Frog and the competitors for putting on a competitive and entertaining series this year.

Touche Mike Rand, Touche....

Liked: 3787

1300 miles later, Mrs Frog and I are back in the swamp.
    Quite a party Saturday night from what I remember.

Mark Defer and Cole sang their version of "Buttercup" for Rob St. Clair. I think only Defer knew the words. And nobody had a camera running.

The gang at GTP provided a Powerpoint presentation of their season. It was hilarious, but not presentable on this forum.

Clark Cambern provided a video of 'select' moments from all six race weekends. He needs to get it posted out on a website. Quite entertaining.

Mrs Frog projected about 600 slides set to music capturing the spirit of the season. So many really neat stories unfold when you research the 50 some competitors, their crews, and the F2000 Series support staff, and all their trials and tribulations over the course of the 5 month season.

Mrs. Frog is exploring options to get the show printed on DVD, or maybe abbreviated for web broadcast.

So many times this year events have occurred that if you read them in a book, you would just say it was impossible fiction. Lime Rock was no exception.

The series points leader wipes out his racecar 45 minutes before the first race on Saturday.
    Fast Matt then jumps in Doug's car to start from the back. Doug (from GTP) jumps into the idle Anderson Racing car and also starts from the rear.

Turn 1, first green flag lap, what?... 13 car 'incident' with something like eight cars unable to continue. OBTW, your fastest lap in race one was to be your qualifying position in race two.
    So something like eight of the fastest guys in the series start from the back in race two. Names like Mansur, Kniffin, Van Sicklen, Vassmer, Dunn... Doug gets bumped out of the spare Andersen Team car so that Terrick can start race two. Doug jumps into the now repaired ex-McDonough car. Musical cars.

Kniffin starts race one on the outside poll. Showing that 10s and 8s on a hot track, that doesn't require 145 top speed, in the hands of a guy with track experience, can be competitive. Might have been an interesting story if he could have gotten to turn 2.

One can always wonder what if... what if Mike Andersen had run the complete season?

The weather was beautiful. It stayed an average of 30 degrees cooler than back here in Florida. The whole Lime Rock Park, and surrounding countryside is beautiful. Maybe the best restuarants anywhere are nestled next to lakes, in old farm houses, and alongside covered bridges. No question, a great place to visit.

The track... My opinion. And I love the place. I picked it to do my first 3 day Skippy school back in the 80s. I know, i know... tons of great history. Great for spectator viewing. Sam Posey, Skippy, Rand... tons of history and a great location for the NE. But rough as a cob. Safety standards somewhere back in the sixties. What, no tractor with a rotating brush to sweep the downhill? It's a car killer track. Small errors cost drivers lots of money. One passing zone. I say a great place to run time trials. and, like I said... I love the place.

LRP is a track that most mortals take a sigh of relief each time they get back on the pit straight safely. Perfect place for Cole (cool as a cucumber) Morgan. A guy that doesn't often put even a wheel off while he goes faster than anyone else. He gets maybe 20 laps on Tuesday before an upright failure. Never been to the place before that. Becomes fastest in every session that counts on friday and saturday. WGI was no fluke. Yes, champion material.

One can go back for years and study the records at the Runoffs. In FC there has always been a good number of cars in the top 10 from under the St. Clair Motorsports tent. I had Cole's car(s) in tech probably over 18 times this season. Nothing trick, nor wizzy. Dynamic shocks, not big dollar Penskes. No trick third spring setups. No super trick aero pieces. But, yes, solid preparation. Congrats to Rob and crew for a great season.

I'm also saying that Cole's record this season is not the result of some super hi-tech, over-the-top, tricked out car. I'm guessing at least half the cars in the series are at least as well, or better equipped.

Chris Fahan was obviously comfortable at LRP. Strong finishes in both races. Jessie podiumed in race one. Unfortunately he got a wheel in some leftover NASCAR kitty litter at the start of race two. Tom Fatur was at home. And Al Guibord had a great finish after not being able to attend qualifying. So, for most, a bit of Lime Rock experience was a big help.

Mark Defer (no testing on Tuesday) reported saturday afternoon that it was the most fun he had all season. Now he is comfortable with the radials, etc.

There were too many "brain dead" incidents for the races to be classified as great. Come on guys... e.g. crashes behind the pace car? We all have some work to do to improve it for next year. That is the F2000 Championship Series' record so far. Constant improvement. Rand, Wright, and Guibord are constantly trying to make it better every day. Each race weekend was better than the one before. Just wait for next season!

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post

The track... My opinion.

LRP is a track that most mortals take a sigh of relief each time they get back on the pit straight safely.

Agreed, Mike. Lime Rock has not been good to me. Although I had a great weekend, that downhill tirewall is dangerous. At least three cars went in, one is probably totaled and the driver could have been killed. I hit it in April; a test day that should have cost me $250.00 plus fuel ended up costing $20,000.!

Removing it from next years schedule is fine by me.

Thanks for a great year, Mike.

Wow

Charles Finelli

Contributing Member

Congratulations Cole Your win was well deserved!

Liked: 96

Default Hear Hear!

Well put, Froggy!
    Congrats to Cole: not only is he fast, but he also presents himself well on the podium and in public speaking. Cheers to Fast Matt for a strong defense of his championship and for his gracious recognition of the new champion.

Thanks to Misters Rand, Wright & Guibord for organizing the series. I wish I could have crewed at every race! Also, thanks to Mrs. Frog for taking all those photos and putting on the slide show.

Looking forward to 2008.
    "I love the smell of race fuel in the morning. It smells like victory!"
    Barry Wilcock
    Pit Crew: Tumenas Motorsports/Houndspeed, Fat Boy Racing

Liked: 3787

A few pictures from LRP:

Last edited by Purple Frog; 09.07.09 at 10:08 PM.

Thank you very much Froggy. I also agree with your statement about Jason Byer's "Dream Machine". A lot of time guys run around buying the best of the best stuff when it comes out. It goes to show that with a GREAT team and GREAT engineers behind you, you don't need all that stuff. It should be an encouragement to a lot of lower budget guys in the series, stick to what you have, figure it out, and you can be quick.

Rob St. Clair - One of the greatest guys I know. If you ever think Rob is pissed, blow him a kiss and it puts a smile right on his face, I've seen Defer do it all to many times. Running a great operation without all the flashy showbiz stuff, St. Clair gets the job done week after week.

My Engineers (Matt Satchell & Tony Lyscio) - These are two of the most brilliant guys I know. We made some of the most minute changes all year, because the car would roll off the trailer absolutely perfect. I can only remember adjusting for track temp and weather. Considering they had never been to WGI or LRP, I'd say they are a big reason for being able to win the Championship. I owe it all to these guys. Hopefully Rob will give them a raise so they don't run off to Penske.

Bobby Wolfe - My biggest cheerleader, this guy is one of the most energetic throughout the paddock. You can't talk to Bobby without getting a little hyper. Always the first person to ask if I need anything, one of the nicest guys you will ever meet.

David "Jose" Livingston - The workhorse of St. Clair Motorsports. He is always doing something, getting tires, fuel, anything that needs to be done, this guy is busy working to get it done. The heart and soul of the team.

My teammates - (Defer, Jordan, Cooper Jr. & Byers) Some of the nicest and funniest guys I have ever met. All great drivers, I have no doubts they will be up front next year. I think everyone knows Byers is one hell of a driver. Defer needs to get a Zetec and then he will be right up there. Once Mr. Bill Jordan get a little better handle on the Hankooks he too will be way further up the grid. Lew Cooper will also move up. Running a partial schedule at many track he had not raced on very recently, a great guy and a true pleasure to be on track with.

My Dad - Obviously I would be at home playing video games all year if it wasn't for this guy. I still don't know why he didn't smother me in my sleep years ago, but he didn't and that was pretty nice of him. I owe everything to him and I am glad he has had so much faith in me. Certainly my best friend, maybe I'll let him get back in a car sometime soon.

This has been an amazing year. Thank you to all the competitors, officials, corner workers and everyone else involved. Matt McDonough and Terrick Mansur are two of the best drivers I have ever raced against. I have no doubt that Terrick will make it to the top, and hopefully we get to race each other again. One of these days someone needs to get McDonough in a DP car. He can definitally drive and he deserves it.

Awesome job everyone. This is the best open-wheel racing series in the country, by far.

Liked: 24

Congratulations to Cole, Rob, Matt, Tony and Jim Morgan. All of you did a stellar job this year earning the championship.

Congratulations to Mike R, Bob, Frog and the whole FF2000 crew for a successfull second year. After attending two of the events, I can say that your flexible approach to resolving issues, where you involve the competetors, should conntinue to attact drivers for years to come.

To Anderson Racing and GTP, your efforts gave the series and the championship merrit. Congratulations to the drivers from these teams, your talent and results did not go un-noticed.

Last but not least to Clark Cambern, with the coverage that you provided the FF2000, the series has grown to be more than the Cooper series could have ever wished for. All the events were very entertaining to watch and listen to with Rob and Al comentating.

Final note for the 08 season: Cole has stated that he wishes to move on from the FF2000 Series, so the St Clair #28 car will be available as an arrive and drive rental.

Quote Originally Posted by JByers View Post
    Final note for the 08 season: Cole has stated that he wishes to move on from the FF2000 Series, so the St Clair #28 car will be available as an arrive and drive rental.

and Cole Morgan will be available for driver coaching. Anyone? Anyone?

Cole,
    I may need some help at Topeka this year. Is your dad available too?

Jay,
    I have run his bank account bone dry. Time to search for my next victim. I though, am still broke, but would be happy to hang out at the St. Clair tent and verbally abuse you over the radio.

After 21 years of Marrige, I doubt that could happen. But I think the Defer rendition of Buttercup could be inspiring.

I can serenade you to the checkered flag for the Runoff's win if that is what your heart desires. It would be my pleasure.

Very nice,is it being a southern racer or a young gun that makes it sweet!? No matter I like to see a guy earn it, with the RO's close calls and all it ....must.. be sweet! DP's..... Ill drive..wit'cha.. ho'ws much will it pay? ....
    I got $100 bucks if you can show me how to do T1 @ Savannah like that...or 4 that matter T1 at RA,VIR ect.....maybe its all up to the voice of the little man in my head?..Im sure anyone that picks up this coach 4 the RO's will improve 10 fold ?
    PS Ill put in a word 4 ya at Robbie Gordon racing!!Call him he's an OK guy baby.
    SuperTech Engineering inc.
    Mark Hatheway

Default Way to go Cole !

Great job Cole !

Equal congratulations to Jim Morgan and Rob St. Clair !

Kudos as well to Mike Rand, Bob Wright and Mike Eakin.

Rob Poma

Congrats Cole - a well deserved championship.

I'd like to thank the whole crew at ADSA racing - Bob, Al Sr & Jr, John, Chris and Angelo for their hospitality this past weekend. Without their help I wouldn't have been able to attend.

Also a big thanks to Mike Rand and his crew for a great season. I'm very excited for 2008 and seeing the series continue to expand and improve. Can't say I'll mourn the loss of Slime-Rock (well the optimistic loss) - the track is in the worst shape I've seen it in 4 years, and the conditions for race 2 were unacceptable (not the fault of F2000 - someone needs to talk to Skippy). If I have it my way my last memory of the place will be going backwards through the downhill cursing the kitty litter.

Wow...Lime Rock is taking a beating. While I agree it is not a suitable track for our racing, its worth noting that it has been making remarkable steps forward over the last couple of years. If we were there three years ago:

My car would have been destroyed when i over cooked the climbing turn and went head long into the new extra runoff room.

Len Amato would be in the hospital as he would have hit Armco with a couple of tires piled up in front of it much closer to the track.

We all would have been working in mud in the A paddock after the storm Friday night, all that paving is new.

I think at this point our series has a lot of other really attractive choices for racing and I support not returning but, Lime Rock is one of the most exhilarating tracks to drive in the country hand down. It requires a lot of old school balls which is fun!
    F2000, Formula F, Formula Atlantic series photographer
    http://www.kniffinphoto.com
    teamkniffin@yahoo.com

Champ Car Las Vegas, Champ Car Las Vegas, Viva Las Vegas, F1 canada, F1 Canada.

Just my 2 cents

Show of hands for Las Vegas

Charles, snake eyes, Finelli

Liked: 142

viva las vegas!!!!!
    Awww, come on guys, it's so simple. Maybe you need a refresher course. Hey! It's all ball bearings nowadays.

Cole,

Just wanted to tell you job well done. I can't wait to see what happens next...

From one of the part time members of the Lee Racing crew.

Curtis.
    Occasional crew member for FF & FC
    I love anything with an engine except a lawnmower...

The Long Island gang barking about Las Vegas needs to contact Les Phillips and see if he and the Pacific F2000 series can/will/wants to/might go there, but just to squelch this right now, before anyone thinks this idea it is going anywhere, the F2000 Championship Series is not, unequivocally, NOT going west. Not to Las Vegas. Not to Arizona. Not to California. Unless you consider Road America west that is.....

Hell Rand, let's just go run Brands Hatch and Snetterton as 2 of the rounds. Finelli has a bunch of boats right?

And also, Lime Rock was in the best conditions I have ever seen it in...

Funny you would say that Cole, Defer, Dunn and Jordan all said the same......

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information