Liked: 0

Default What Kind of transporter?

Hey I need some help trying to figure out what kind of trailer I should get to transport an F2000 in. I've got a chevy astro van to tow it so nothing to massive or with a gooseneck or what not. I've got a rather tight budget but all suggestions are good and I have no issues making ramps either. Right now I am thinking of just getting a flat bed trailer and making some modifications to it so I can secure the car down. Is this a good idea for me or should i go with an enclosed trailer? any other suggestions?

Thanks guys

Liked: 553

If you can afford an enclosed trailer, it has two big advantages: Protection from weather (and prying eyes), plus you can leave the car and stuff in it when you get home from the races.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 42

With the Astro van you won't want an enclosed trailer. I tow with a Grand Caravan with a small open trailer (total weight of the two is right at 2000 pounds. I notice it on the hills, an enclosed trailer with the extra weight and aerodynamic suckiness will be a nightmare to drive unless you are going to get something with more power.

Default Trailer Options

Most of the smallest enclosed trailers suitable for an F2000 weigh more than 3000 lbs. With your car and minimal various and sundry bits you bring along, you will be at 5000 lbs+ in the blink of an eye. I think your Astro Van would be overwhelmed (and torn up) very quickly towing this kind of load.

When I started racing I had a very small open trailer and managed to get the car there and back just fine. When I upgraded to a small enclosed trailer (a very light TPD) I had to upgrade to a GMC Suburban for towing. The enclosed trailer is a big upgrade quality of life wise, but you need hefty capacity on your tow vehicle to make it work. The Pros will tell you always have a large capacity reserve in the tow vehicle to make it last and keep things safe.

Coincidentally, I was talking to a friend the other day about how much tow vehicles have changed. He mentioned seeing a Spec Miata driver arrive in the paddock at the last race with a big rig truck and trailer. One guy, one Spec Miata, one big rig. He went on to remember his first Can-Am race at Laguna Seca where half the teams arrived with their cars on open trailers. Times change.

My recommendation, if you don't want to have to get a larger tow vehicle, would be to find the lightest open trailer that will work. A built-in tire rack on the trailer is a real plus, saving enough cargo room in the van for one of those really slick E-Z Up canopies so you still have a little shade.
    Last edited by Bill Steele; 07.28.07 at 1:18 PM. Reason: Fat fingers

Default I See a Lightweight Open Trailer In Your Future

Or a bigger tow vehicle because with the proper equipment an Astro can pull 5500# but it wouldn't be fun. That leaves out most small enclosed trailers but enclosed is the way to go for sure. A buddy tried pulling a 28' enclosed with a 1 ton Ford van and he said it was scary at best and down right dangerous at worst when trucks went by. An Astro may be what? 1/2 ton at best?
    Tom Sprecher
    ATL Region Treasurer

Liked: 605

1. two axles no matter what...........or you just make darn sure your tires and bearings on the one axle trailer are always in perfect shape. a buddy with one axle carries not just a spare tire but a spare hub [and therefore bearing] too

2. the trailer should have brakes that work - duh - one of the small open wheel trailers i had in the past had surge brakes via hydraulics rather than electric - it actually was a nice set up

3. there are enclosed trailers that are only as tall as your car in tall - you would need a winch in the nose of such a small height trailer cuz you're not climbing up in there in general - your astro could probablt tow that but even a full height box trailer 16 feet long is a little much for what your astro.

4. open trailers can have a custom canvas cover made up that covers over all of your car much like how a boat can have a canvas cover on when being towed - it might be hard to find just the right people to make it and be a fair expense in and of itself but you'd be able to keep the astro.

5. think about having a fairing on the nose/front of the trailer that will shield the car from road stuff pelting your car.

6. a tire rack on the trailer would be nice as would a winch - it can be a hand crank one like a boat trailer.

7. you might be able to use an open trailer like is used by lawn mowing contractors - the grating that makes up the bottom can be covered where the tires ride with two 2 X 10s bolted to the grating - that way your tires won't get waffled and messed up - some of those sort of trailers haul large riding lawn mowers that weigh in the ballpark of an empty formula car.

8. having the bed of trailer tilt to allow easier on/off can be a help - remember no matter what trailer you get, the ride height of an F2000 will mean your cannot tolerate very much of an angle coming off and going on - i need to take the nose off my FC every time it rolls off or on.

9. get maybe even two ways to lock up the trailer or google > trailer alarms

Liked: 42

As I pull with a single axle. I just make sure the tires and bearing are in good shape. since the van is FWD there are some nice things about the trailer. I can lift the front of the trailer to get a farily flat pull onto the trailer. I have a hand winch on the front so I can do it all solo.

Last race I brought 4 sets of tires (one on car). Normal Jack, quick jack, random boards to get stuff on and off trailer easier, 4 rubbermaids full of spares and stuff, air tank, Craftsman tool chest (8 drawer top), baby, baby seat, wife, stroller, racing gear, etc. and still had a good amount of room. The key was to put as much of the heavy stuff as far forward in the van. The van pulled nicely, it was heavy going up hills but good and straight. The braking was just fine.

Often going from a single to a double axle you jump up about 500 pounds because the trailer is often built a bit heavier. Tire rack adds weight/drag and kills vision from the rearview mirror.

Don't worry about going with a single axle open trailer. Just know that you need to be a bit more proactive in maintaining the trailer.

Liked: 1

As I see it you have two options:

Option 1....A Featherlght aluminum trailer which will be light and can be ordered with a box on the front to protect your more valueable gear.

Option 2....Buy a POS truck and a cheap enclosed trailer. This will not only be far safer to tow with but also more secure and you will be able to bring evereything you need and keep it organized.

I can tell you from experience that with a more complex car, the only way you will be able to use an open trailer without going nuts is if you paddock with buddies that bring their enclosed trailers. You will need to bring your spares, gears, and tools along and that is a lot of load for your van.

Liked: 3787

For about 3 years I raced far and wide with a FC being hauled on a single axle trailer and pulled by a Nissan Quest.

Need to pack efficiently, and build racks on the trailer to store stuff without letting tongue weight get out of hand. Items like the spare tire rack may need to be built up over the axle of the trailer. A shield going up about 30" in the front of the trailer, and a solid floor will go a long way in preventing the car from getting too much spray from the tow vehicle.

The tools you take should be only those needed for the race car. Those 1/2" drive impact sockets you use on the combine can stay home for the weekend. Watertight plastic boxes can hold a lot of "stuff" and be placed between the wheels of the race car once it's loaded.

Don't spend the money on a featherlite open trailer. Save that extra money to buy your first enclosed trailer. Beacause after a few seasons of using an open trailer, you will get an enclosed trailer.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 46

Chevy Astro Vans came with a wide range of towing capacities from the factory. From nothing to 5,00lbs . as I recall. Do you have a load distibuting platform type hitch? If you do it should have a load rating on it. Also look at your build sticker for towing group options. From those two pieces of info you should be able to determine the load range your van can handle. Also consider the terrain you are going to encounter on your adventures. I used a low profile enclosed motorcycle trailer to go from the midwest to the Northwest and back a few years ago. It worked well behind a half ton pickup.

Liked: 4

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Frog View Post
    Don't spend the money on a featherlite open trailer. Save that extra money to buy your first enclosed trailer. Beacause after a few seasons of using an open trailer, you will get an enclosed trailer.
    I agree with Froggie... don't spend the $$ on a new aliumiumn open trailer.

$1000 gets you a used steel generic open landscape trailer. A couple hunderd more to make the tire race, shield, ramps, tie downs and you are good to go (as long as tow vech is up to it). Close to the limit an open trailer tows much better then an enclosed unit. I towed mine with a V6 Ford Ranger until I was ready to replace it. I then upgraded tow vech & trailer at the same time.

When ready to upgrade to enclosed trailer (and you will want to as packing and unpacking time is dramaticially reduced), sell you open for 80% of what you paid for it and apply it towards an min 18' trailer and a capiable tow vechicile.

If looking for a cheap lightweight open trailer, consider a boat trailer. They are lite (aliumiumn), sturdy, cheap and plentiful. You'll have to make some modifiactions to create a deck. If possible, try to go dual axle.
    AMBROSE BULDO - Abuldo at AOL.com
    CURRENT: Mid Life Crisis Racing Chump/Lemons Sometime Driver (Dodge Neon)
    CURRENT: iKart Evo Rotax 125 Kart
    GONE: CITATION 87/93 FC - Loved that car
    GONE: VD RF-85FF , 1981 FIAT Spider Turbo

Thread Information