Contributing Member Bill Kincaid's Avatar
    Liked: 1

Default Pacific F2000 at Miller Motorsports Park

Press release from Jeremy Shaw:
    ----------------------------------

New Challenges Face the Pacific F2000 Racers After Their Midsummer Break

Buttonwillow, Calif. (July 9, 2007) – A brand-new Hankook tire, a demanding new race track and high ambient temperatures will keep the Pacific F2000 Championship contenders on their toes when the burgeoning open-wheel development series visits the imposing Miller Motorsports Park road course in Tooele, Utah – just west of Salt Lake City – later this week.

Almost two dozen competitors are expected to jostle for honors as the Pacific F2000 series reconvenes after a two-month hiatus. As usual, two 30-minute races will be held – one on Friday and another on Saturday – as part of the Big O Tires NASCAR Grand National West race meeting on July 13/14.

Patrick Barrett, from Los Osos, Calif., leads the point standings at the season’s halfway stage. The talented 17-year-old has won four of the six races including a two-race sweep last time out at Buttonwillow Raceway Park in the PR1 Motorsports team’s #3 Jim Russell Racing School/Alpinestars Van Diemen.

"I feel very confident going into Miller," says Barrett. "It will be a difficult weekend though because of the heat. I believe it will be in the high 90s, and the track is quite demanding.

"The softer Hankook tire will be a bit of a challenge," he continues, "especially in the second race. It’s softer than what we’re used to running and the hot weather only makes it more demanding on the tires. The track is fast and sweeping so consistency will be important too. It’ll be hard to break away by yourself I think."

As usual, Barrett will have plenty of rivals seeking to knock him off his perch.

Chris Spreitzer, 20, from Phoenix Ariz., already has won a race this year with the #7 BWM Engineering/Anglo American Racing Van Diemen. So too has rookie Mitchell Cunningham, also 20, from Auckland, New Zealand, who triumphed at Willow Springs in March aboard the #99 Windward Properties/Robert Cunningham Construction/Sniper Systems Van Diemen – the same Dave Freitas Racing-prepared car with which Robert Podlesni won the 2006 title.

Other principal challengers will include Barrett’s PR1 Motorsports teammate Thomas Merrill, who claimed two impressive podium finishes at Buttonwillow, and Max Hyatt, who recently won a round of the East Coast-based F2000 Championship Series at the famed Burke Lakefront Airport temporary circuit in Cleveland, Ohio.

"Last event we showed we had what it took to win but came up a little bit short," notes Merrill, 21, from Salinas, Calif. "Miller Motorsports Park is an incredible facility and it will provide a great opportunity for us to get our first win of the season, but it won’t be easy. The competition will be as tough as ever, and with the new softer Hankook tire, tire management will be a large factor, especially in the dry heat of Utah. I am looking forward to an exciting race and a chance to improve in the point standings."

"We learned a lot in Cleveland about how to be up front on a fast sweeping track," adds Hyatt, 20, from Santa Fe, N.M., who drives for the Colorado-based Front Range Motorsports team. "I as a driver gained better techniques for dealing with fast sweeping corners which will play a big role as Turns One, Two and Three are all very fast at MMP.

"I think to be successful at Miller teams will have to find a good aero balance to deal with both the tighter corners and the extremely long straightaway," says Hyatt. "The competition is always steep in the Pacific F2000 series which means qualifying will be extremely important for track position."

The series regulars will face opposition from several locally based drivers, including Brazilian-born Ivan Utrera, who owns the renowned Rodizio Grill churrascaria-style steakhouse in Salt Lake City, and Rodizio Grill Racing teammate – and fellow Sandy, Utah resident – Terry Biner.

F2000 represents one of the first rungs on the professional open-wheel auto racing ladder in North America and has provided the launching pad for the careers of many top racers, including Champ Car World Series champions Jimmy Vasser and Paul Tracy, and Indianapolis 500 winners Buddy Rice, Dan Wheldon and Sam Hornish Jr.

For more details go to www.pacificf2000.com or contact Les Phillips at 661-764-5333, or by email, lesrace@aol.com

Liked: 48

Default good luck Bill and James !!

good luck to you Bill and to James as well ........ will be anxiously awaiting news from Miller ... from all ...... testing start TOMORROW !!

teams showing up today !!
    friend us on FaceBook search "velocity haus"
    like on facebook search "velocity haus Engineering"
    Velocityhaus.com
    velocityhaus@gmail.com
    @Velocityhaus2 instagram

Default NEWS from Salt Lake ??

Jeremy???????

Hello ....... ?? .... how is Pat Barret doing ??

is anyone reporting on the racing there in SALT LAKE ???

people want to KNOW !!!
    Velocityhaus.com
    velocityhaus@gmail.com
    @Velocityhaus2 instagram

Liked: 0

Here is a summary of Race 1, Friday qualifying at Miller Motorsports Park.

Miller Motorsports Park, Utah - July 13, 2007. By Jerry Anderson - Friday qualifying for Round Seven of the Pacific F2000 series at the new Miller Motorsports Park in Tooele Utah has produced more of what has come to be expected in the highly competitive series with Patrick Barrett in the Jim Russell/Alpinestars PR-1 Motorsports Van Dieman finally edging teammate Thomas Merrill in his Merrill Farms/PR-1 Motorsports Van Dieman by a mere .18 seconds after a session long seesaw battle that saw both drivers at the head of the time sheets. Barrett and Merrill were the only two driver to break the 1:52 second barrier. Third was Philip Metzger driving the G-FRO/Phoebe Van Dieman with Shaun Modisette in the Carson Trailers/PR-1 Motorsports Van Dieman giving PR-1 all three cars in the top four.

Max Hyatt a recent winner at the F2000 race in Cleveland qualified seventh behind James Hakewill the 2006 SCCA Run Offs Formula Ford Runner-up and Mitchell Cunnigham. All three were in Van Diemans. The Lone Piper in the field, driven by Scott Rarick, the 2004 Formula Ford National Champion ended up twelfth in a field of 22 cars.

With the race later today it appears that we could see a repeat of the last event at Buttonwillow with Barrett and Merrill taking charge at the head of the field. It is a close field and the new facility at Miller Motorsports Park should provide some very close racing with a very wide track and several passing opportunities. Green Flag is at 4:15.

Here is a summary of Race 1 on Friday.

Miller Motorsports Park, Utah - July 13, 2007. By Jerry Andersen – Friday’s race for Round Seven of the Pacific F2000 series at the new Miller Motorsports Park in Tooele Utah got off to a slow start when the first attempt was waved off. When the green fell on the second lap Pole sitter Patrick Barrett in the Jim Russell/Alpinestars PR-1 Motorsports Van Dieman jumped into an early lead that was made even larger when teammate and fellow front row starter Thomas Merrill in his Merrill Farms/PR-1 Motorsports Van Dieman left the track at turn one. With drivers taking avoiding action,

Barrett completed the first lap with a six second advantage over Chuck Hulse, Jeff Westphal, Max Hyatt and Shaun Modisette. Merrill had dropped to eighteenth where he began his charge through the field improving three positions on the next lap. Merrill progressed up the scoring sheets until lap 4 when an incident involving Nick Freytag brought out a full course caution that closed up the field.

When the green came out on lap 8 Barrett again made a great start to take the lead and Merrill continued his charge through the field taking two more places and was now in sixth. With Barrett controlling the race in the front and not seriously challenged, he was able to take care of his tires for tomorrow’s race.

Another full-course yellow for contact between Modisette and Mitchell Cunningham in the Dave Freitas Racing Van Dieman, again brought the cars together and set up the third and final re-start. Once again Barrett jumped out to a quick lead and went on to claim his fifth win in the series this year and twenty-fifth formula car victory in his brief career.

With first place secure, the battle was on for the remaining podium positions. Merrill began the last lap in fifth place and managed to get by both Max Hyatt and Jeff Westphal for third with Chuck Hulse with a fine second place. Westphal finished fourth and Hyatt fifth. Rounding out the top ten were Philip Metzger, Chris Spreitzer, James Hakewill, Ira Fierberg and Bob Negron.

In addition to the win Barrett also ran the fastest lap of the race to complete the sweep.

Round Eight begins Saturday with practice at 8:30 am MDT, followed by qualifying at 10:00 and the race at 3:45 pm MDT.

Here is a summary of Race 2 Saturday's Qualifying.

Miller Motorsports Park, Utah - July 14, 2007. By Jerry Andersen - Saturday qualifying for Round Eight of the Pacific F2000 series at the new Miller Motorsports Park in Tooele Utah has again given us the tight battle between Patrick Barrett and Thomas Merrill in the PR-1 Motorsports Van Diemans. This time it was Merrill who produced the fastest time by .22 of a second at 1:51.392. Using the tires they raced on yesterday and will race on today, Merrill said “The team has made some changes to the car that will allow them to last to the end of the race.” “The new tires from Hankook seem to last better and we should be good for the race.” Third again was Philip Metzger driving the G-FRO Van Dieman with Mitchell Cunningham in the Dave Freitas Racing Van Dieman fourth.

Merrill is looking forward to racing with Barrett today instead playing catch-up as was the case yesterday. It is expected to be hotter today and tire management will be in the minds of all the drivers. Green Flag is at 3:45 MDT.

Pos. Name Time

1 Thomas Merrill 1:51.392
    2 Patrick Barrett 1:51.513
    3 Philip Metzger 1:52.224
    4 Mitchell Cunningham 1:52.765
    5 Shaun Modisette 1:53.424
    6 Max Hyatt 1:53.645
    7 Chris Spreitzer 1:53.830
    8 Nick Freytag 1:54.448
    9 Peter Hastrup 1:54.496
    10 Ira Fierberg 1:54.652
    11 Scott Rarick 1:54.781
    12 Jeremy Shaw 1:54.949
    13 Bob Negron 1:54.984
    14 Jeff Westphal 1:55.289
    15 Bill Kincaid 1:55.574
    16 Dwight Rider 1:56.493
    17 Mark Felsen 1:57.465
    18 Ed Chojin 2:01.407
    19 Terry Biner 2:03.330
    20 Ivan Utrera no time
    21 Chuck Hulse no time
    22 James Hakewill no time

I hope to have photos up here tonite or tomorrow morning.

We're not able to cut and paste from Miller's AMB timing system's .pdf files so we'll try to reconstruct today's results by hand.

It has been around 100 F every day. We had quite a downpour on Thursday. It was welcomed by the locals who had'nt seen rain for 40 days. Some guys went out on rains, most did'nt.

Saturday Round 8 results.

Miller Motorsports Park, Utah - July 14, 2007. By Jerry Andersen – Round Eight of the Pacific F2000 series at the new Miller Motorsports Park in Tooele Utah produced another one-two finish for the PR-1 Motorsports Team as Pole sitter Thomas Merrill took the lead from teammate Patrick Barrett at the beginning and was never headed. Merrill slowly eased ahead to build a comfortable lead and eventually set the race’s fastest lap. Barrett who had an engine changed after qualifying settled into second place as he kept pace with third place finisher Philip Metzger in his Team GFRO Van Dieman.

The race ran caution free and the field strung out, but was made exciting by following the progress of Chuck Hulse in his Team GFRO Van Dieman, who started last after not being able to qualify, and earned the Hard Charger Award for picking-up the most positions during the race. Hulse improved four position on the first and continued his progress through the field to finish an excellent seventh. Nick Freytag was another driver to watch as he lost a couple of positions at the start and came back to finish sixth behind Mitchell Cunningham in fourth and Shaun Modisette in fifth. Rounding out the top ten were Max Hyatt, Jeff Westphal and Peter Hastrup.

This was the first win of the series for Merrill who gave credit to the new compound tire produce by Hankook for allowing him the confidence to push the car the entire weekend and to his teammate for keeping him honest and pushing him all the way.

The series now move on to Infineon Raceway in Sonoma, California on September 22nd and 23rd for rounds Nine and Ten.

1. Thomas Merrill PR1 Motorsports
    2. Patrick Barrett PR1 Motorsports 4.526
    3. Philip Metzger Team G.FRO 10.918
    4. Mitchell Cunningham Dave Freitas Racing 17.577
    5. Shaun Modisette PR1 Motorsports 26.619
    6. Nicky Freytag BMW Engineering 28.717
    7. Chuck Hulse Team G.FRO 32.633
    8. Max Hyatt Front Range Motorsports 34.256
    9. Jeff Westphal Team G.FRO 42.807
    10. Peter Hastrup Mark 9 Racing 44.761
    11. Ira Fierberg Dave Freitas Racing 47.821
    12. Bill Kincaid Kincaid Racing 57.876
    13. Jeremy Shaw Mark 9 Racing 1:05.974
    14. Dwight Rider Front Range Motorsports 1:06.651
    15. Mark Felsen Felsen Racing 1:26.518
    16. Ed Chojin Rodizio Grill Racing 1 Lap
    17. Terry Biner Rodizio Grill Racing 1 Lap
    18. Ivan Utera Rodizio Grill Racing 1 Lap
    19. Chris Spreitzer BMW Engineering 12 Laps
    20. Rob Negron DNS
    21. Scott Rarick DNS
    22. James Hakewill DNS

Friday Round 7 photos.
    Last edited by John Barrett; 10.13.07 at 6:01 PM.

Sorry, It looks like the 8 photos for Round 7 fills my attachments quota.

Won't be uploading any for Round 8. They were really good too!

Liked: 45

Congratulations to Bobby Orgel and his PR1 Motorsports team for a great weekend at Miller. They had us all covered for sure.
    Also, this was our 1st time running at Miller, and I have to say that the track layout and facilities are second to none. Can't wait to come back.
    Dave Freitas Racing
    www.davefreitasracing.com
    df.racing@verizon.net

Liked: 91

What do you guys think of the new softer Hankooks?

Default C91's

Cole

not that I am the definitive word on the tires .........and I was unable to get away form Work to get to Miller .....BUT I had the pleasure of using a new set at thunder hill in 90ish degree weather ... they were a great tire I thought .......lots of grip and very consistant ....you could REALLY lean on them .... and when they started to let go they gave all kinds of feed back and were very tame in breaking away .. very slow to make the big move ....... took the heat very well .... I thought .. pretty sharp turn in as well ...brake feel was excellent ...

over all Id say a very good tire !! .....Ive only used one OLD..... REALLY OLD ... 2004 cooper road America cast offs (AUG2004) set of RADIALS before ....so the comparison was not a fair one.........BUT I have lots of time on Goodyears and Avon Bias tires...the transition to radials was not a huge deal ........ I was seconds off the pace but MOST of that was lack of condtioning and being too aware of some very uncomfortable cockpit interfaces ... (a very poor seat) troy stevens is to fix all that soon ..... I found myself saying to myself ....."if I press the gas MORE ...the car will go faster and Im sure it WILL hang ........but geezz that is going to hurt my leg where the (this or that ) is going to DIG in harder ... so maybe this is good nuf" ............NOT good thoughts to be having ..... shouldnt be even in your conscinece mind....... or ........."Geezz thats going to make my shoulder burn more......... " been out of a car since aug 2004 ....... so work to be done ..........

BUT to answer your question short ....a very good tire .......Bill Kincaid put it ... "now we have a REAL tire" I think hes right .......... a real tire ....and seems to last too .......
    Last edited by greg pizzo; 07.17.07 at 7:16 PM.
    Velocityhaus.com
    velocityhaus@gmail.com
    @Velocityhaus2 instagram

As you know Cole, we have a 4 tire rule in the Pacific Series. With the old tire, come race 2 you could expect a pretty good drop in performance, even if you managed you tires.
    Still the same deal with the new rubber, but no worse.
    Also, the wear we saw at Miller was pretty severe, but it would have been the same with the old tires. That place is rough on rubber, and the 135 track temps didn't help things either.
    Remember, this is on the 8/10" wheel. With the 6/8" combo, I would have to think that even with 6 tires, wear could be a problem at certain tracks.
    Dave Freitas Racing
    df.racing@verizon.net

Contributing Member Thomas Copeland's Avatar
    Liked: 165

Default Photos

Two more photos I got via email. Friday start, Saturday podium.

Nice to see so many F2000 cars on the track at one time. Awesome! Especially out here in on the Westy Coast. Shows that the naysayers who thought this series was doomed are all wrong. Way to go Les!
    Firman F1000

Thomas, you in for Infineon? Maybe you could drag Pizzo out with you.
    Dave Freitas Racing
    df.racing@verizon.net

Default Tires & Thanks

Firstly -- big thanks to everyone who helped put my car back together on Saturday after the unfortunate incident in practice -- huge effort from all the BWM guys plus Mark from Comar Performance, and major help from Dwight Rider and JD. Very much appreciated - some classy people in this series.

We made it to grid in time, but unfortunately the engine sounded very sick on the out lap, so I had to pull off and watch the race with some very friendly corner workers in #7 flag station. Remember to wave to the corner workers on the cool down, they really appreciate it....

Secondly, the new tires seem like a big improvement -- I ran my first set of C91s for 4 cycles at Thunderhill, then another four in testing, then two in practice. They were still working OK on the 10th cycle (1:54.8) in second practice, but getting a little threadbare and the 'window' of grip was getting smaller.. a slow deterioration more than anything. Putting scrubs on for first qualifying didn't have such a big improvement as I expected, but it was a lot hotter than first practice.

James
    Stuff, t-shirts and stuff... http://www.cafepress.com/ffwear

Dave, my plan is to be at Infineon, if I can talk Nick Belling into draggin' my car down from his bat cave up in Vancouver in time for the race (long story). I've even offered to let him drive one of the races in my car as ransom.
    Firman F1000

Default will be there ....

Dave

thought I was going to make it to Salt lake ... had all the plans in place ...... work got nuts and some repairs to the car after going off in some ones oil in turn 8 at thill was just too much to do with the time I didnt have ....

all will be right by infineon ..... so I will be there

so there has to be a story around Ira ......... has to be .... we never heard anything .....please do tell
    Velocityhaus.com
    velocityhaus@gmail.com
    @Velocityhaus2 instagram

Liked: 3787

Were there any pintos entered at Miller?

There were at least 3:

Ed Chojin (Van Diemen RF98 Pinto/Bradford)
    Terry Biner (Van Diemen RF98 Pinto/Elite)
    Ivan Utrera (Van Diemen RF04 Pinto/Elite)

There was also a RF99 but don't know if that was converted to Zetec. All others were RF01 -RF06 Zetec except for the lone Piper Zetec.

From qualifying---
    The quickest Zetec time: 1m51.392
    Quickest Pinto I could see: 2m01.407
    Firman F1000

Greg Mercurio

Hey Thomas: Get that car down to Sears Point in August. It's your chance to spank all 3 of us at one event. Me, Pizzo, and Brenner will be there. Make good on your promise eh?

Contributing Member D.T. Benner's Avatar
    Liked: 2

Default Only 2 to spank!

Greg,Brenner is running in FS so he can go after ME!

Contributing Member Bill Kincaid's Avatar

Jerry Andersen has posted some good pics of the proceedings:
    http://pacificf2000.com/gallery.html

That session in the rain was fun... nothing like big fat slicks and nice big puddles!

Thread Information