Liked: 0

Default Sneaky Peek Cooper Elan DP04

Just a quick photo of my car. Should be on it's wheels by the end of the weekend when I'll post full pics/details!
    Last edited by Brands; 11.24.07 at 8:28 PM.

Liked: 553

Default Looking good!

Ooooo ... a definite dark horse in the battle for the Top Dog in FB.

I've been wondering about the Elan chassis getting into F1000. Is this like the Blackbird European racers? Any similarity to the FSCCA car?

Looking forward to more pictures.

Boy, what an interesting mix of cars we'll have at the ARRC in November. Can't wait.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 1

It must be getting close its in the the garage now?
    SuperTech Engineering inc.
    Mark Hatheway

Liked: 35

Brands,

What diff are you running in the car.?

Scotty
    Taylor Race Engineering
    Scotty
    Est. 1990
    Taylor Race Engineering

Scotty

I'm running the Quaife ATB diff. The car was originally designed around a Ford open diff but it didn't take much work to fit the 'Fiesta' Quaife unit.

Russ,

The car is very similar to the Blackbird powered cars with a few frame updates and new motor mounts for the GSXR. Visually it is very similar to the SCCA machine although most of the bodywork is actually specific to this car. AIM Pista Dash, Ohlins TT44 dampers and Mag BBS wheels are the expensive bits. The car will certainly be ready for the ARRC but probably not the upcoming Road Atlanta race which is a shame.

Wow that totally slipped by me as well.

You can see it here althought PDF is screwed up.

http://www.elanmotorsports.com/?action=page.products

It looks like it's the FSCCA/Sports racer Car with motor cycle power. I'd be curious to know the weight, an interesting car for sure, wheels list as 9X13 11X13 and FSCCA weight min is 1265 with driver. FSCCA is listed as new 49,900 on the scca site. There were questions if Elan would sell factory Van Diemen conversions and word was they were not interested. I don't know why they couldn't replace the spec shocks and sell this car directly as a F1000

Jack

Due to a change in direction within the company this is not a 'works car'. It has been and will continue to be developed by me.

Jack,

The car is certainly heavier than the current F1000 cars although I've yet to get it on the scales. Nevertheless with me weighing in at 145lbs I should sneak under 1000lbs. Just got to keep on the salad and in the gym!

Default Another Photo

I'll try and post some more detailed pics tonight but here's one taken last night. Today will be spent on my least favorite job - body fit and fixings!
    Last edited by Brands; 11.24.07 at 8:28 PM.

Looking great.

You know, if you're faster than me, I'm going to have to protest that enclosed cockpit shroud I see in the foreground. :-).
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 1403

Brands;

What model are the Brembo calipers? I would bet they will perform better than Wilwood.

Contributing Member glenn cooper's Avatar
    Liked: 136

Default That ain' no cockpit surround.

C'mon Russ, You being a bike guy should recognize the fairing and windscreen of a Yammie R1/6!
    Hey, it's rainy today, I'm about to snatch that Pinto out, take off the front suspension and then it's into the basement for some real serious teardown.
    It would be a good time to (eh-hehm) head over to McBrideville and scope out your ride...
    GC

A couple more pics added to earlier post and another one here. Brake calipers are AP Racing CP7613 on AP discs.
    Last edited by Brands; 11.24.07 at 8:29 PM.

Wow. That is a nice, clean package. How many of those are out there?
    Ken

Contributing Member D.T. Benner's Avatar
    Liked: 2

Default Duhaa..

If you have been following Van Diemen Formula cars for long you would know that what we get here as a Formula SCCA-FE car is/was first built as a motorcycle powered car! Some have made it over to this side of the pond and have showed up for sale here on ApexSpeed (some guy in Canada was offering New ones) and some that were run by a GoKart school in SoCal were sold on Ebay.
    I think Batos/Primus was planning on selling them as the next big thing before Elan took over the Importing of Van Diemen cars to the US.

There seems to be a lot of Carbon Fibre on this thing. Very nice, but i thought CF isnt allowed or is that just wings, chassis and bodywork?

Liked: 1879

Panels, etc, inside the cockpit can be carbon.

I saw this car today in person. Very impressive. Ben obviously has fabrication talent and race car knowledge. I hope Ben's not a very good driver, but I think we may be out of luck there, too. :-).

Seriously - very nice, very high quality. It will make a great addition to the already great variety we'll have in the class. It will attract a lot of attention at the ARRC.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Just a quick pic of my header now that it's back from coating ( http://koolcoatceramiccoatings.com/index.html ) Looks great and hopefully will keep temps down. Car is finished but too busy at work to play with it. I'll try and get it out of the garage for a pic today. Entered for the AARC as well. Like Russ though I think it will run for the first time on the Thursday test. Not ideal but you gotta start at some point!
    Last edited by Brands; 11.24.07 at 8:29 PM.

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

Quote Originally Posted by Brands View Post
    Just a quick pic of my header now that it's back from coating ( http://koolcoatceramiccoatings.com/index.html ) Looks great and hopefully will keep temps down. Car is finished but too busy at work to play with it. I'll try and get it out of the garage for a pic today. Entered for the AARC as well. Like Russ though I think it will run for the first time on the Thursday test. Not ideal but you gotta start at some point!
    Hey Ben, It looks good. How much do they charge for coating a header this size?
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Contributing Member Nicholas Belling's Avatar
    Liked: 1

Default Those guys at Kool coat are awesome.

I paid to get everything on my car coated. header, exhaust, intake manifold, valve cover,, and so on..

Temps went down so much in the engine bay.. I could touch the valve cover after a hot session even.

There pricing was fair also. Just talk to Dave the owner and mention fastforwardmotorsports to get discount also.
    Nicholas Belling
    email@nicholasbelling.com
    Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Contributing Member rcrockett69's Avatar

Who built the header for your Suzuki? Also did you develop a new undertray and diffuser for the car?

The header was a cut and shut drag bike 'sidewinder' header. It actually ended up with more of my own tubes than the original and was a bit of a headache actually. Still the end result looks good. I havn't finished the diffuser yet. The pattern is complete - I just need to work up the enthusiasm to get the resin out and start mold making! I've already started on a new nose, air box and some other top secret aero parts as well!

Contributing Member rcrockett69's Avatar

The car looks great. Are you going to provide a standard kit to other FE owners?

This is a 1 off I'm afraid. My interest is in developing my own car in my garage! I've changed so many little things it would take forever to ducument it.
    Thanks
    Ben

Thread Information