Liked: 0

Default Race Day Procedure

As a rookie to racing in the USA I wonder if someone could list everything I'll need to do prior to a race - race entry forms, any other forms that need to be filled out, car log book, tech procedure etc etc.

I've raced for years in the UK where the form is:
    Fill out race entry form at least two weeks before race.
    Receive timetable, additional regs, truck/trailer and team passes the week leading up to race.
    Race day - sign on at race control with license (I already have an SCCA regional) and club membership card (races are regulated by the RAC Motorsports Association but run by the series organising club).
    Tech or scrutineering as we call it takes place early race day morning. I guess it's the same here - safety check of car, fire suit, helmet and sometimes specific regulation checks particular to your class.
    Mandatory drivers briefing
    Sit around and wait for qualifying.
    Tech afterwards for top 6 cars.
    Sit around and wait for race.
    Tech afterwards for top 3.

Other than my SCCA license and log book (something I'm not familiar with as we don't have them in the UK) what other documentation will I need?

I hope this isn't too much to ask! My car is very close to running and my first race should be towards the end of July at Road Atlanta. Maybe sooner but I want to get some mileage under my belt first.

Many thanks in advance.

Liked: 11

Ben- (right?)

1st- you need an SCCA membership & license.

You will need an annual tech- this can be done at the track and they will be looking for current belts. fire, helmet, etc. They will sign off in your log book and it will be good for 07.

Next, register for an event via sups for that event. IE some regions only allow pre-payment, no $$ at the track.
    When you arrive you'll sign in, pay, and go through tech which is usually no more than checking that you have has an annual and your helmet is ok.

Then qualify, race, and win!

I'm quite sure I've missed something- that seems too simple....
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Default one more thing...

Brands:

It is customary for a new driver to buy each competitor in the same class a refreshing libation at the end of the day....

Glad you can join in the fun!!

Default First Race

I'm doing this "off the cuff" so I may miss some things. It's not quite as easy as previously suggested. Let's start with the car.

Annual tech can sometimes be done by a local SCCA (check with your local club) representative either at your home or at his home. Getting this done before going to the track can be a real advanage because anything found to not be "up to snuff" usually has to be corrected before they let you out on the track. If you can't get it done before going to the track consider attending the pre-race weekend tune and test day. This will provide you with an early opportunity to get the car teched before the crowd shows.

Belts have their date tags and are new enough to pass the current regs?

Depending upon which class you are running in you can show them a functioning brake lite and a functioning rain lite. If you are using filament bulbs instead of LEDs expect the bulbs to have broken filaments and to not be functioning.

Helmet and suit meet current regs.

Fire system pressure gauge is easily visible to an inspector.

Both terminals on your main switch (where the big wires bolt on) have rubber caps...lately they have been looking for this.

Depending upon which class, you have a tap into your fuel system that will allow for a fuel test sample to be safely extracted from your system. A port close to the engine without an extension taking you out of the engine bay area will be found wanting.

Know where your stamped in serial number (matching number found in Log Book) is found. Write down in your Log Book the page number and weight requirements for your class. Techniccally you're supposed to actually have the rule book (latest) with you so that you can actually show them the weight requirements.

Don't be a smart ass and be patient, they do a lot of cars and they don't like to be screwed with.

Most events allow you to sign up and pay for the event early. It is best to do so. It's usually cheaper and waiting to sign up for an event until you are there may (almost certainly) result in a long wait in a long line. To find out how to register and pay go the the SCCA website (SCCA.org) and start at club racing, then Regional or National, which will show you the various events. Clicking on the event will usually take you to a site where you can register and pay but every region does it differently.

You will have an opportunity to ASK for a number on your car (when you register). Unless you have a "permanent number" (you usually have to pay for that privilege early in the year) you may have to change your number at the track. It isn't just other cars in your class but all cars in your group that cannot share the same number (be prepared to have to alter your number) select alternative numbers with care. I usually am #74 but am prepared to change to #7 or #4 or at worse #94 (changing the 7 to a 9 is pretty easy).

Your first event will go a lot smoother if you can hook up with another competitor who will show you the ropes...hell, finding where the entrance to the track is from the pits can be daunting.

Don't be afraid to ask people for what you need. Don't be afraid to ask to start from the back of the pack (despite where you qualify) if you would be more comfortable. I've been known to start from the back if I am the only car in my class within the group. 1. I don't want to interfer with the race within the race and 2. since my car is pretty fast within a typical group it makes for a more entertaining race to work your way through the pack.

Hasty Horn

C Sport Racer
    Last edited by HastyHorn; 06.08.07 at 9:17 AM.

Thanks guys, that's exactly what I was after. I remember being pretty daunted when I started racing but it all soon fell into place and there was always someone willing to help.
    Sean - I'm sure I can qualify and race but I'll leave the winning to you (for now )!

Rick - 'a refreshing libation' eh? No problem as long as it's a nice cup of tea (hot of course)

And Hasty, thanks for your in depth reply. I've no excuses!

The attached pic was taken at Brands Hatch, my home track mid way through a successful National Formula Honda Championship campaign. The Jedi chassis is powered by Honda's FW CBR 600 bike motor. The cars are pretty quick at only 830lbs with me onboard. I threw away a win here from pole after sliding off on oil from a back marker's blown motor. Still kicking myself 6 years later!

Ben
    Last edited by Brands; 07.15.07 at 9:58 AM.

Contributing Member Mark Walthew's Avatar
    Liked: 34

It is best to register in advance but you won't get passes for yourself, crew and vehicle until you get to the track and go through registration. Your crew will have to go through resistration also in order to sign the necessary waivers. If they don't have an SCCA membership they will not be allowed onto the grid or into the pits. I think they can get a temporary membership at registration but it would be better to get a permanent membership in advance if they will be attanding races with you regularly. When applying be sure to ask for a crew licence. There is no additional cost and there are no requirements (except age) other than being a member.
    Your crew will need long pants and closed toe shoes to get onto the grid or pits.
    If you can do registration and scrutineering on Friday night, time can get tight Saturday morning as the lines can be long. If your car already has an annual check the safety check is usually done near registration and they only need to see your gear, sometimes only the helmet.
    Make sure you have the required SCCA patch on your suit and any other sanctioning bodies are removed or covered.
    At registration you will receive a tech sheet to take to tech inspection. Have a pen with you, since you usually need to fill in some things like car number, GCR page pertaining to your race car, minimum weight perhaps, it varies.
    The next page in your car's log book should also be filled out with that race's information before you get to tech, that will be where the inspector signs off.
    You will be given a tech sticker for the car, put it on as soon as possible( usually left side of roll bar for a Formula car) because if it's not on the car you can't go on the track.
    Driver's briefing is usually at lunch time on Saturday so you will probably go onto the track before the briefing.
    There is usually no tech after practice/qualifying but sometmes they do and it's usually the entire class. You are usually notified by a sign as you come in at the end of the session. Sometimes they will tell you on the grid while you are waiting for your session. Ask where tech is before you go out onto the track, it's not always easy to find driving around the paddock.
    I'm sure there are other things I'm forgetting. I used the word usually a lot because each track is slightly different and each time you go to the same track things are slightly different. Road Atlanta has been really good at making the registration process easy recently.
    Ask your competitors if you have questions and make some new friends.

Mark Walthew

Liked: 1

Default Annual tech at the track

As Hasty says, see if a local TECH can perform an annual beofre going to the track. It will aleviate problems, especially if you are one fo the first groups to go out. I have found that if you can't get this done, find out who is running tech for the race and let them know in advance you will need an annual. No one likes to be blind sided or surprised and this little bit of courtesy can go a long ways to smoothing the process. Given the lower number of volunteers, they have a lot to do already.

Curt
    Curt King

Rockwall TX

Liked: 707

Ben,
    Not sure if you have your logbook yet or not. If not, given that you're building a car, you may need to go through the homologation process. Since my car is nowhere near being finished, you'll have to ask someone else how to do it... .

You may need to buy lots of libations at the ARRC:
    Mike Beauchamp
    RF95 Prototype 2

Get your FIA rain lights here:
    www.gyrodynamics.net/product/cartek-fia-rain-light/

Going with someone who has experience at that particular track is also very helpful. Like, "If it rains this part of the pits is under water". Pocono and Summit have that problem. Some pit areas have access to electricity and some don't.

Hasty Horn

I don't know what class you plan on running that car in, but if SCCA gives you trouble, you can always run it at Waterford Hills (waterfordhills.com) where we run all scca rules/proceedures, but you can run unusual cars that are not SCCA spec. We have a couple of Jedi running there regularily - with 900 motors.

Clark

Default First Things First

Quote Originally Posted by carnut169 View Post
    1st- you need an SCCA membership & license...
    Key word is license as that may be the most difficult. Find out if you can transfer your current license otherwise you'll have to wait for a school.
    Tom Sprecher
    ATL Region Treasurer

Thanks Tom
    Actually I already have an SCCA Regional License. I had a full National License in the UK and the SCCA where good enough to waive the various license procedures and give me a Regional which is all I need. I should be able to get the car homolgated within the next few weeks. Am I right in thinking any crew have to be SCCA members as well? In the UK we just got 5 or 6 passes which allowed crew into the pit lane.

Thanks
    Ben

Liked: 126

It is not required that your crew be SCCA members. But if they are not, they cannot go in the false frid or pit. I have not found that to be a problem. With a charging system on the F1000, you shouldn't need a battery boost, which is my biggest need in the FC.

Most tracks allow 4 crew. They will have to sign in at registration.

Contributing Member formulasuper's Avatar
    Liked: 61

I'm not positive but I believe a non-SCCA crew member can go into the false grid, just not over pit wall. At least I have never had a problem with it.
    Scott Woodruff
    83 RT5 Ralt/Scooteria Suzuki Formula S

(former) F440/F5/FF/FC/FA
    65 FFR Cobra Roadster 4.6 DOHC

Thread Information