Thread: New To Formula

Liked: 177

Default New To Formula

I am new to formula cars and I am set on formula mazda. How did you all start? Did you buy your own car? Race with a school like skip barber? Any and all info to help me get started would help. I've been searching the web for weeks to get info but little seams to be out there. Thanks, Dan.
    I race communist race cars.

"Smokey, this is not 'Nam. This is bowling, there are rules." - Walter Sobchak

Liked: 0

Default Try searching "Getting Started"

That's the section on this site you should start in, do some searches and when you don't find what you are looking for post a question.

When I started I bought someone else's car.

Any of the SCCA driver's schools are fine but most are held in the winter or spring.
    Tom Sprecher
    ATL Region Treasurer

Liked: 9

Default Tell us more

Welcome, you've come to the right place.
    Any and all info to help me get started would help
    In my FM group here:
    several raced a couple seasons or more in Russell,
    some came from racing motorcycles
    some from racing sedans
    some from karts
    some from racing FF.
    a couple from sedan trackdays.

Some guys pop right into the car and are fast within a few races, other old farts like myself take much longer to get up to any kind of speed at all. It would help if you described your age, general life background, goals and track history.

This is a great site for general formula car knowledge/comraderie. Check out the FM forum on EZ Board for more speciific details (mechanical issues, race reports etc). Google up Formula Mazda and the discussion forum will be near the top. It won't be too long before you'll have too much information. . JK. Feel free to PM me with specific questions.

's to ya.
    Ted/FM # 13
    Shoe String Racing
    On a Wing & a Prayer

Contributing Member
    Liked: 29

Dan, I see that you are from Indianapolis. I live in Cincinnati and have gotten involved in FM racing over the past couple of years. Send me a note if you are interested and I'd be happy to share what I have learned about the FM scene in this area. driver68@gmail.com

Liked: 14

Default Fm

Dan

the best way to start off with a formula car is with somebody that can instruct, figuring everything out by yourself or by using the internet to ask others , will set you back a few seasons. If you are serious, its easy to get started and never cheap. the first step is to put you in a rental FM for an evening or, two, you will need a safe track to feel comftable, if for example, road america is your first experience on FM, you won't learn about car control and prolly be more concerned about being cautious because the intense environment around you, I have the cars and the safe track to enable you to get on with your learning curve.
    If you like what you see so far, i can pass you more info on a private basis, let me know. regards JRM

Thread Information