Thread: Paddle shifting

Liked: 0

Default Paddle shifting

I ran acrossed a web-site that has a relatively cheap way of paddle shifting for cars and Karts. If anyone is interested it's www.sharpshifter.com It can also do ignition interupt, may solve alot of issues with linkage and some other items. No connection here, just wanted to let others know about it.

Greg

Liked: 553

Interesting.

This approach seems different from others:

"The air shifter is powered from a low pressure on-board electric compressor."

I've only seen them with air bottles with a finite number of shifts.

It's also neat to see both up & down shifting. Most popular kits are for drag racing bikes, and they only car about upshifting.

Whoa. I just saw the price (~$1500). Way more than I'd want to spend.

I think paddle shifting would be cool, but I've never felt that a brief time steering with just the left hand was a problem. I do agree that the engine interrupt feature would be beneficial.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Default You can use a sensor from Power Commander

The shift interrupt can be integrated into the Power Commander as a force sensor or a linear sensor. Below are some concept shots of the assembly we are planning for the Tatuus.
    Last edited by sidney; 03.04.09 at 4:09 PM.
    Ian MacLeod
    "Happy Hour: 5:00 - 5:30"
    Tatuus F1k

Contributing Member Mike Devins's Avatar
    Liked: 29

Default paddle shifter

Another option is available from Dave Cook at Paradigm motor sports.

The paddles are $950 and the actuator is $200. Two buttons are incorporated into the paddles and the left paddle down shifts and also can be used to actuate the clutch. The balance of the parts are standard paint ball stuff along with a couple switches.

Dave has been supplying the prior version of these paddles to FSAE teams for several years. This one was going to be mounted on my LSR but will now be going on my RF95 converion FB. The LSR just ot a new home to fund the FB conversion.

Mike Devins.
    Last edited by Mike Devins; 03.27.13 at 7:01 PM.

Contributing Member rcrockett69's Avatar

Pingel has been offering an electronic shift kit for motorcycles for years. We raced with a guy at MMP last weekend that used it on his DSR without any issues. If you don't need the paddle shifter add-on and can just use the buttons provided then the kits run about $800-$900 from Pingel.

Contributing Member Richard Dziak's Avatar
    Liked: 3

Default Quick shift kit for sequential gearbox

I recently had a discussion with another racer, and he suggested that I consider a "sequential quick shift" kit.

It is not a paddle shifter on the steering wheel. I understand the "quick shift" kit to allow the driver the ability to up shift/down shift the sequential gearbox without blipping the throttle, or having to control rev's.

I also understand they are very inexpensive, usually less than $100. The driver still uses the normal sequential gearbox lever next to the leg.

Has anyone heard of this, any experiences, costs, and reliabilty of the device.

Anyone have experience with dynojet.com or powercommander.com? products.

Looks like the GSXR 1000 kit is priced at about $339.99 which allows up shifting and down shifting without using clutch, or blipping throttle.
    Last edited by Richard Dziak; 05.31.07 at 11:57 PM.
    Richard Dziak
    Las Cruces, New Mexico
    Former Phoenix F1K-07 F1000 #77 owner/driver
    email: sonewmexico@gmail.com

Contributing Member Billy Wight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Dziak View Post
    It is not a paddle shifter on the steering wheel. I understand the "quick shift" kit to allow the driver the ability to up shift/down shift the sequential gearbox without blipping the throttle, or having to control rev's.

I also understand they are very inexpensive, usually less than $100. The driver still uses the normal sequential gearbox lever next to the leg.

Looks like you need the power commander to make it work - the quickshift thing is just a sensor so the power commander knows when you are shifting - the power commander then cuts the throttle for a split second.
    Billy Wight
    Luxon Engineering
    www.luxonengineering.com
    858.699.5313 (mobile)
    billy@luxonengineering.com

Contributing Member Richard Dziak's Avatar
    Liked: 3

Billy:

That is correct. The power commander is the electronic box that senses the shift up or down shift.

Even though the F1000 is a Formula race car, we have to have the mentality it's really a high perfomance motorcycle on 4 wheels. That's why I am seeking input of anyone who has used this quick shift system. I know of one motorcyle racer who installed the power commander with quick shift and it made a real difference. He is a 3 Time National Champion in motorcycle racing.
    Richard Dziak
    Las Cruces, New Mexico
    Former Phoenix F1K-07 F1000 #77 owner/driver
    email: sonewmexico@gmail.com

Liked: 91

Suprised no one has tried anything with the Pro Mazda shift system. No lift upshifts because of ignition and fuel pump interuption by the ECU. You do have to blip the downshifts but I'm sure someone could work on that too and work it into a paddle shift configuration.

[quote=Richard Dziak;140053]
    Even though the F1000 is a Formula race car, we have to have the mentality it's really a high perfomance motorcycle on 4 wheels. That's why I am seeking input of anyone who has used this quick shift system.quote]

I used this system with the PCIIIr on my old racebike, it worked flawlessly. You could set the duration of engine kill time and mininum rpm when it would cut out. I could actually accelerate keeping toe pressure on the shift lever and it would automatically snick into gear when I hit the dialed in rpm, not good for some areas where you'd shortshift but for those I'd clutch it. No matched-rev downshifts though.
    Last edited by GregoryJ; 08.20.07 at 11:09 AM.

Liked: 1

First off....I've never been a huge fan of the paddles...just so used to using the gear lever that I didn't really see the need. But.....

We did a Double Regional here at Firebird this past weekend....mainly to test the Paradigm system described (and shown) above and I think I'm hooked. We didn't have the clutch activation hooked up or were we using any device to "kill" ignition for upshifts, but I just operated the clutch and throttle the same way I do with the bump shifter and it worked fine. It did take a bit of getting used to and due to some inclement weather (rained off and on the whole weekend) we only got to run it for 3 sessions, but overall I'm pretty pleased.

The system is electro-pneumatic so the pull on the paddle activates a switch which then "fires" the pressurized air to activate the solenoid which moves the shifter. We actually left the old bump shifter in the car as well...just in case...plus it made the issue of finding neutral mute as I could just bump it in with the old lever. By the end of the weekend we were able to get it into neutral using the paddles...it just takes a little finesse.

We plan to have the full system operational for the Double National next month so if anyone wants to see it or wants more info please stop by and see us.

Added Info:

After watching some of the video from Nicholas Belling, there are a few other items that I neglected to mention about the Paradigm Motorsports paddle shift system we are testing:

1. The paddles on this system move with the wheel. Most mechanical systems I've seen are static.

2. The paddles on this system can be pulled with my pinkie finger alone. There is virtually no effort required.

3. The clutch activation (when operational) is built into the downshift paddle. When you pull the paddle it first engages the clutch, and then as you pull further, it downshifts the transmission.

4. A push-to-talk button is built into the unit.

5. A dash "scroll through" button is built into the unit.

6. It makes a cool sound when shifting.

Matt Conrad
    Phoenix Race Works, LLC
    Last edited by Matt Conrad; 12.10.07 at 1:36 PM. Reason: Added Info

Default I will have a paddle shift kit ready to buy in about 1 mounth.

If any one is interested I will have a paddle shift kit ready to buy in about 1 month.
    Consider driving your car and not having to remove your hands from the steering wheel. The unit shifts up and down with equal ease and precision.The system consists of two switch modules and their actuator solenoids. The shifting is done by a double acting ram assembly.These solenoids are operated by 12VDC from the steering wheel, via two small micro switches. While this system does not use a computer it does operate quite successfully. The steering wheel with the shift paddles that control the impulses to the transmission . It is the device with the two AN lines hooked to it.The shifting in this case is actually done with nitrogen from a small cylinder.
    everything will cost $1100

I will have pics up on this site in 1 month.

call 716 870 7805
    Christopher Hoefert
    [/FONT]

Thread Information