Contributing Member Richard Dziak's Avatar
    Liked: 3

Default Need Ferrari Red F1 color code

I want to have a Formula car painted in the same color as the Ferrari Red F1 color as driven by Michael Schumacher. I would imagine that PPG, DuPont or BASF might have the paint available, but I understand the paint must be ordered knowing the Ferrari F1 color code.

If anyone is familair with this color code or had experience painting their Formula car in this color, any feedback and assistance would be greatly appriecated.

Thanks
    Richard Dziak
    Las Cruces, New Mexico
    Former Phoenix F1K-07 F1000 #77 owner/driver
    email: sonewmexico@gmail.com

Liked: 73

a limited number of enzo's were painted in the same color as the f2003 car. If you can hit an automotive paint store and look up this color you just might score.

A quick search yielded this:
    http://www.tcpglobal.com/aclchip.asp...rrari-pg01.jpg
    PPG 75250 Rosso Corsa
    PPG 905389 Rosso Scuderia

The latest colors have been getting brighter and brighter red to suit Marlboro, but the Original race cars were painted a darker red, PPG 75249 Rosso Fiorano I believe.
    JD
    Zink Z10

Liked: 1

Richard,

In person, the Ferrari F1 car is more an orangish/red tint than a 'true' red so it looked the proper on TV. If you recall, Jaguar played around with the green color of their F1 car until it looked right for TV, the largest viewing audience worldwide. There was a recent thread about this on ApexSpeed so check SEARCH function. In that thread i believe the GM Red was chosen, and it is close to Ferrari red.

Fact is, use GM Red as touch up paint for the tintop (GM 3867 by Plasti-Kote for touch up). This is the Ferrari 80's red, a deep red. Also note in the 80's Ferrari used a yellowish primer and some say this combination is what makes their paint job the way they are in the 80's. Not sure what the new, modern paint facility in Maranello uses for technique as have not toured the factory since the new paint facility opened up, sorry

JD, excellent link and PPG 905389 is the current, 'proper' color for many consumer cars... which is different than the F1 cars.
    Enjoy the Track,

Steven
    http://www.EnjoyTheTrack.com
    Was 99/00 FC, now am Just Waiting. Racing is life...

Liked: 0

I believe the color is called Rosso Scuderia, it was available on a few of the Challenge Stradale cars, and 1 or 2 Enzos. I am almost sure it is a PPG color.
    1983 Royale RP33M
    2000 BMW M5
    1984 Ferrari 308 GTS QV
    1989 Porsche 944 Turbo S

Liked: 8

Default colors

There is always the exact match and also a nice color.

I like to look at the chips for Jag, Audi, Mercedes and VW.

For ex. looking for BRG, the 1995 Jag BRG is a nice black green.

The VW reds are also really nice.

Audi and Merc yellows and whites are really nice.

Thanks so much for the input......looks like the
    PPG Rosso Scuderia 905389 color code is the color of the Ferrari Formula One car.

I will choose either the PPG Color above or use an American color like the Ford Vermillion Red, or Chevrolet Victory Red or the Dodge Viper Red.
    I found the color codes for all.

Thanks J.D. King, you were right on the target with the color codes you suggested.

I also found a great website for color codes that you all may want to add to your favorites of bookmark.

Check out:

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/index.htm

They offer a very easy chart for determining color codes.

Thanks again to all that replied and of course thanks ApexSpeed for this fantastic website.
    Richard Dziak
    Las Cruces, New Mexico

Liked: 96

So did everybody from Apexspeed go to the paint website on their lunch break?

I tried it and got the following error:
    Server Error in '/' Application.

Timeout expired. The timeout period elapsed prior to obtaining a connection from the pool. This may have occurred because all pooled connections were in use and max pool size was reached.

"I love the smell of race fuel in the morning. It smells like victory!"
    Barry Wilcock
    Pit Crew: Tumenas Motorsports/Houndspeed, Fat Boy Racing

Barry:

This website for the paint codes is correct, it works well for me.

http://www.automotivetouchup.com/index.htm

May be your computer system.
    Richard Dziak
    Las Cruces, New Mexico

Quote Originally Posted by Beartrax View Post
    So did everybody from Apexspeed go to the paint website on their lunch break?
    Barry, was thinking if everybody watched the F1 practice session 2 on SpeedTV this morning at 8am NYC time, it showed the Ferrari F1 car many times under florescent lighting as well as under sunlight. When the car was in the pits you could easily see the orangish/red color versus the colors on the PPG website or other link. Of course i am open to be wrong if others have personally seen the car. My apologies for being a bit abrupt here, yet am trying to answer the question posted being, "I want to have a Formula car painted in the same color as the Ferrari Red F1 color as driven by Michael Schumacher."

Come to think about it, the color of MS's car changed during his occupation with Ferrari over the years. The orangish/red color i am describing was for the most recent year or two. The older color red on his car would indeed be more like the PPG color, so my apologies to all as Ferrari 'red' has also changed over the years for consumer cars over the decades. My apologies, have seen the car quite a few times and guess my most recent memories are the ones that spurred my answer.

Now if you want the REAL original Ferrari red you will need to get your hands on some Ox blood...
    Enjoy the Track,

Steven

Liked: 96

Quote Originally Posted by enjoythetrack View Post
    Barry, was thinking if everybody watched the F1 practice session 2 on SpeedTV this morning ...
    Actually, I was just thinking that everybody from Apex, like me, clicked on the link and maxed out their server. We are an awesomely powerful force on the 'net.

I see you are also in the North East. Hope to see you around some time.
    "I love the smell of race fuel in the morning. It smells like victory!"
    Barry Wilcock
    Pit Crew: Tumenas Motorsports/Houndspeed, Fat Boy Racing

Quote Originally Posted by Beartrax View Post
    Actually, I was just thinking that everybody from Apex, like me, clicked on the link and maxed out their server. We are an awesomely powerful force on the 'net.

I see you are also in the North East. Hope to see you around some time.
    Again, my apologies for the insistance of the color, but hey my memory leads to recent things versus the old. It finally hit me, Steven you schmuck, the car changed colors over the years! DOH!

Would enjoy meeting you too. Was at the Pro2k meet in NH shop earlier this year, maybe we somehow met there? The 99/00 pinto car is new to me this year and just getting a feel for the car. Will do a few regional SCCA events and some other basic time trial and open track days. Need seat time and all that. Not like some old guy like me (41) has any real future in racing per se, but it is fun to find the limits and maybe (but doubtful) keep the kids 'honest.' As for F1, man-o-man that Hamilton kid is mightly mature and impressive on many levels at, what, the ripe old age of 22? Loved how he baited Masa two races ago!
    Last edited by enjoythetrack; 05.11.07 at 5:41 PM.
    Enjoy the Track,

Steven

Found a photo of the tintop and made some slight lighting mods to it to show various hues.

The lower left rear side panel color is more the 80's color. As we move to the right of the car (on the right lower door panel) it gets slightly lighter than is more akin to today's color. Note the top of the front bonnet center has a much lighter, almost orangish tint to it. While that is close to today's F1, you'd actually need to add more orange to it. Hope this helps. If you are ever in Maranello, there is a great museum there the factory opened up a few years back and you can really see the color changes over the years.
    Enjoy the Track,

Steven

Why yes, i DO have plenty of time on my hands today. Ok, so went to Ferrari's Galleria site and below is a photo of their cars.

http://www.galleria.ferrari.com/gall...C_0842_490.jpg

If you look at the room's BACK WALL you will see what many feel is the 'Ferrari Red.' Actually it is, but from the 80's. The main F1 car in the front of the photo, while i am appalled that Ferrari showcases this horrible lighting, gives an idea of the previous color if you look around the NUMBER 3 on the front of the nose of the F1 car... while perhaps giving hints of the orange in the overblown lighted section.

Ok, enough, have said way too much and my apologies for run-on of the typing fingers.

If i may be frank (or Steven, but never Fast Matt and stop calling me Shirley ;-) ), if you want to showcase your car i'd go with Lambo orange. Think marketing, what color would allow you/your car AND your sponsors' graphics to stand out (assuming you have sponsors). i'd paint my car like a cow if she'd be publicized more and provide more exposure for sponsors.

Just do not paint your car to look like the globe, it looks horrible!
    Enjoy the Track,

Steven

Liked: 2

Default Beware Computer Colors

For what it's worth, don't put too much faith in any pictures you see on your computer. Computer screens are not color-calibrated and the color you see has a lot more to do with your computer than it does with the actual color of the object. The same photograph will look significantly different on another computer. People who work in publishing, magazines, and newspapers buy special color-calibrated computer monitors, and they cost a bunch.

Plus, the process of compressing photographs into digital images for the Internet loses even more color.

In other words, don't bother trying to match a picture on your PC. It'll never come out the same as the original object.

P.S. Does "anal retentive" have a hyphen?
    Last edited by RoadHazard; 05.11.07 at 7:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadHazard View Post
    For what it's worth, don't put too much faith in any pictures you see on your computer. Computer screens are not color-calibrated and the color you see has a lot more to do with your computer than it does with the actual color of the object....
    (Humor and truth, just bustin' here though it is true.) As an audiophile and dabble in videophile stuff, find the DVD "Video Essentials" and calibrate your monitor. Perhaps due to my day job of being in the magazine biz as publisher, editor, photojournalist... color accuracy means something. Only the truly anal retentive (no hyphen, though can be used interchangeably in certain circumstances) also calibrate their scanner and printer so all devices are accurate.

People who work in publishing, magazines, and newspapers buy special color-calibrated computer monitors, and they cost a bunch.
    Very true.

Plus, the process of compressing photographs into digital images for the Internet loses even more color.
    Very true, damn compression artifacts and there are many ways to compress a photo.

In other words, don't bother trying to match a picture on your PC. It'll never come out the same as the original object.
    Never say never

P.S. Does "anal retentive" have a hyphen?
    Last edited by enjoythetrack; 05.12.07 at 6:19 PM.
    Enjoy the Track,

Steven

Sorry to 'resurrect' this thread, yet for those seeking color accuracy a new (version) product was just released.

http://www.colorvision.com/index_us.php

Usual disclaimer: i do not work for the company, have no association, financial interest, etc... and yes... color me anal-retentitve
    Enjoy the Track,

Steven

Liked: 309

My version of Ferrari Red...

Actually, it's Rustoleum's "Sunrise Red" ... $7.55 a quart at Wally-World.

Yep ... seven dollars and fiddy-five cents a quart.

Stan "King of Cheap" Clayton

PS - It's an oil-based industrial enamel. Let it dry for 24 hours and it's hard as nails.
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Default Your the Man

Good on you Stan, paint does'nt make you go fast and nice car, what is it or what was it, I know it will have a pinto, and is what we call a Sports Racer here, or Sports Car, we have a few in the North Island, but none that run down here in the South Island, or as the people of the South call it, "The Main Land"
    Roger

Quote Originally Posted by Stan Clayton View Post
    My version of Ferrari Red...

Actually, it's Rustoleum's "Sunrise Red" ... $7.55 a quart at Wally-World.

Yep ... seven dollars and fiddy-five cents a quart.

Stan "King of Cheap" Clayton

PS - It's an oil-based industrial enamel. Let it dry for 24 hours and it's hard as nails.

Liked: 309

Quote Originally Posted by Roger Eade View Post
    Good on you Stan, paint does'nt make you go fast and nice car, what is it or what was it, I know it will have a pinto, and is what we call a Sports Racer here, or Sports Car, we have a few in the North Island, but none that run down here in the South Island, or as the people of the South call it, "The Main Land"
    Roger
    Hey Roger,

It's what we too call a Sports Racer. Specifically, a C-Sports Racer. Rather than a Pinto, it is powered by a VW 1.8 SuperVee motor, essentially a water cooled mid-80's VW GTI 2-valve engine. To keep this combination competitive, SCCA recently increased its permitted displacement to 2135cc. I don't have that yet, but I should be up to 2 liters later this year.

The chassis is a 1975 Zink Z-10B Formula Ford with Cheetah bodywork over the top. If I have to I will continue to run that body, but I hope to update the bodywork as well as the engine.

Best regards, Stan
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 5

Default Auto Color Library

If there's a street car color you want to copy, try this resource:

http://www.tcpglobal.com/autocolorlibrary/
    Maureen Harris
    FF crew (Joby Graham)

Liked: 29

Default Ferrari color

Richard,

Talk to Roberto on the 23 rd. at Arroyo, he can get the correct color, I think his 360 stradale
    is painted rosso corsa or scuderia.
    Step on the gas until you see the bright light..... THEN BRAKE HARD !

Thread Information