Liked: 13

Default Stohr fries at Daytona

Stohr F1000 belonging to Ken Terryll went up in a big way at Daytona. I suspect from an engine failure but don't know for sure. Damage appeared pretty extensive from my view on the track. I do hope Ken is well and his beautiful car will be back on track soon.
    Tony

Liked: 0

Quote Originally Posted by BRONCO View Post
    Stohr F1000 belonging to Ken Terryll went up in a big way at Daytona. I suspect from an engine failure but don't know for sure. Damage appeared pretty extensive from my view on the track. I do hope Ken is well and his beautiful car will be back on track soon.
    Tony
    I heard an oil line came loose and caused a flash fire. One of our cameras was on it (rear mounted) and survived with footage. Hopefully we get to see it :-)

Sounded like it wasn't a big deal (thankfully) but that's all I heard.

The drama!

Liked: 1

Default Oil Fire

Unfortunately, I heard it was pretty bad...but I hadn't heard anything about the driver so I would assume (and hope) he's OK.

I've had one of those oil fires when the oil cooler came out of its mount and a rubber oil line contacted the header on the first Maloy car we built....not fun at all. The oil instantly caught fire and a huge smoke plume engulfed the cockpit. I actually thought the guy ahead of me had blown a motor...but then I saw fire licking at my right side and realized I should probably get out....but I was doing about 100 mph.

Hard braking allowed the burning oil to go forward on the floor of the car to my right side (more fire) and I started to feel heat on my right arm. Hit the fire bottle and started to undo belts and get ready to exit once the car was stopped. I inhaled a ton of nasty smoke but the fire suit and gloves did their jobs and I had no burns at all.

The fire was put out with the Halon so the corner worker I pulled over near didn't have to do any additional firefighting. We went to braided lines and were very careful about their routing near the header after that. And even though it wasn't a huge fire I would guess it cost me over $4,000 in damage to the car and my race gear. My wife said she'll never complain about me spending money on a good suit after that.

Matt Conrad
    Phoenix Race Works, LLC

Liked: 5

Default Stohr F1000 at Daytona

Ken Tyrrell is fine and in good spirits after posting a 1:59 in the first qualifying session at his first crack at Daytona, and knew he could probably get a 57 in the second session. The car is at the Stohr Cars N.A. shop and will be ready for Road Atlanta. Wires & hoses are the main replacements, along with some bodywork. Could have been much worse - thanks to Central FL SCCA course workers' quick response.

Ken had a header pipe crack which put hot air on an oil cooler line, causing the line to fail. We'll post some video of a couple laps at Daytona in the Stohr.

Craig
    SCNA
    Craig Vogeley

Thread Information