Liked: 126

Default Citation Flies in Jake's Garage

My Citation flew between my shop and outside for sandblasting the other day. The time was about 20 seconds flat.

Seriously though, I'll be epoxy priming the chassis and installing all the aluminum panels this week. I'll get some pics by next weekend.

Liked: 151

more parts are getting made. I was by Brandon's sunday and he had been making up more aluminum bits for everyone. We'll probably update with some more pictures in a few weeks. The rear uprights should be a very impressive piece.

It's all coming together.

Liked: 126

Here's a couple pictures of the chassis. My progress so far...

I expect to be receiving some new parts pretty soon. The rear box aluminum is currently being cut and some other parts are off being anodized.

Any welds that are not so pretty are mine - first attempt at TiG. And all the sheet steel and aluminum I did by hand with a table saw (metal cutting blade) and the bends were done with angle iron and C-clamps. No expensive machinery here.

The rivets are not the solid type that Steve wanted me to use. I instead used blind aircraft CherryMax Avdell because I got them surplus on the cheap. My blisters from pulling about 700 of them are still healing.

So far, I estimate I have about $12K in the car.
    - New chassis, Kevlar body sides, and upper cowl - $5K
    - 2006 R1 Engine - $1200
    - 2 sets of 4 way shocks - Ohlins and Konis - choice TBD - $2600
    - R1 dry sump - $2K (yikes)
    - Various other bits and pieces that I scrounged around for take up the rest of the dough (new R1 dash, Momo wheel and disconnect, axles, steering rack, etc.)

Hope this helps those on the fence with possibly doing this. A fellow FC driver up here in the northeast is probably going to start this in the fall.
    Last edited by RobLav; 09.19.13 at 10:22 PM.

Liked: 553

Looking very good!
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 0

Quote Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
    Looking very good!
    That's impressive you are building that. All you at-home engineers that can do this yourself -- impressive stuff. Wright brothers...

Brandon brought part of the rear drive structure by my cube today, he's making some nice parts. I've heard Steve and Richard have other parts done as well.

I've seen a lot of the drawings, it's all very impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by GoPro View Post
    That's impressive you are building that. All you at-home engineers that can do this yourself -- impressive stuff. Wright brothers...
    I think it's going to be eligible for Russ' CFB since it's being built in garages and backyards.

Liked: 553

Quote Originally Posted by Wren View Post
    I think it's going to be eligible for Russ' CFB since it's being built in garages and backyards.
    It all depends on who's writing the CFB rules and your lap times. If I'm writing the rules and you're faster than me - Sorry. You're out. :-).
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Quote Originally Posted by RussMcB View Post
    It all depends on who's writing the CFB rules and your lap times. If I'm writing the rules and you're faster than me - Sorry. You're out. :-).
    then we will be forced to start an 8 page thread whining about unfairness. No one wants that.

Thread Information