Liked: 16

Default Stohr Flies at Portland

Thursday April 19 at Portland Intl Raceway, testing of the Stohr F1000 continued. National Champion drivers John Hill and Mark Jaremko provided input on a variety of aero setups produced by Wayne Felch. Lap times are now down in the low 1:12's. This is a 2 second improvement from the very first test we did earlier in the season. Meanwhile, Stohr Cars North America is running a concurrent development program on the East Coast.

Liked: 16

Low 1:12's is awesome! The Champ Car atlantics were in the 1:05's-1:06's last year for qualifying while I was there!

The May National had Roger Glover on Pole in an FA at 1:10.496

Same driver (John Hill) did a 1:09.952 in a DSR at the Rose Cup Qualifying session last year!

Do you think there is more time to squeeze out of there? I would guess due to the limited track time up until now....
    Stephen Saslow

Liked: 0

Can I ask why the cowl opening is so far above the helmet?
    Is'nt that extra drag or does the rules dictate that height.
    Fantasic looking car BTW.

Liked: 5

Default Stohr F1000 Testing at Road Atlanta

Stohr Cars North America continued testing the Stohr F1000 at Road Atlanta on Friday, April 20. Club driver Ken Tyrrell was available and returned a second time to Road Atlanta for additional seat time. Ken was able to run a race distance in mid afternoon with several laps at 1:24.7 and most at 1:25.0 or under. Theoretical best was 1:23.9. Ken gained about 1.5 seconds over his qualifying time at the March national and gained 3.5mph on the back straight. Ken is racing at the Daytona national next month so a primary goal was to concentrate on straight line speed. The west coast and east coast staff are working in unison on the Stohr F1000 development program.
    Craig Vogeley

Liked: 309

Well done, Team Stohr!

BTW, was that time with or without the Festival Curve?
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 11

Craig-

Sounds like both the Phoenix and the Stohrs are now flying...

I'm sure that watching the video helped Ken's lines a bit which would have lowered his lap times but what have you done to increase straight line speed?

I imagine the ARRC is really going to be a race!
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

We also picked up 5 mph on the backstretch. The car is really starting to fly. We tested a revised front wing, rear diffuser, and some air box work. We will have a new sealed air box for our test next month, as there is much to gain. We feel there is quite a bit more time in the car.
    While testing at Road Atlanta, Stohr Cars North America clocked Ken Tyrrell in the high 24s (3 mph faster). We have been working closely with Bill and Craig, sharing information and data. They will be running Daytona, and we will be running the May race in Portland.

F1000 rocks!

Wayne Felch

Liked: 5

Sean,
    We're getting there. Ken wanted to return because he knew there was improvement in himself and we knew there was improvement in the car and of course, compound selection made a huge difference. We made lots of wing angle adjustments to reduce downforce and maintain aero balance. The only replacement on the car over the March national was new front wing end plates. Ken said the car was racy at that pace still felt there was more. As everyone instrumental in the creation of this class has hoped, F1000 will have some incredible competition!
    Craig Vogeley

Default Carbon End Plates

Just wondered if the front wing end plates are carbon? If so how does this fit with the rule not allowing carbon to be used on any external or air licked surface?
    Thanks!

Liked: 126

I too read the rules that carbon endplates are not allowed. Those front ones on that picture sure look carbon to me.

Liked: 26

Default Carbon in the airstream

If they are carbon then they are illegal the way the rule reads.

John

Liked: 1

Default Front End Plates

I would be hard-pressed to believe that a carbon end plate could be somehow ruled to be part of the front crush structure....

.....a "theoretical" best lap???? I need to learn more about this technique because I'm pretty sure that "in theory" I went alot faster at Firebird last week .

Matt Conrad
    Phoenix Race Works, LLC

Liked: 553

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Conrad View Post
    "theoretical" best lap
    Matt, forgive me if this is an incorrect assumption, but I'm guessing you haven't used data aquisition that offers that feature. It's cool. It takes all of your best segment times and computes your best theoretical lap time if you had done all of those best segments in the same lap. It's not perfect, of course, but it does give the driver a sense of how consistent he is.

Regarding the CF end plates: Please leave them in place. I may need as much ammunition as possible to get a finish ahead of these fast new cars. I've already got two long lists of cheater stuff I've noticed on the F1k.07 and Sean's car. :-).
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Default Predictive Lap Times

Russ,

No....I haven't used that feature yet...but I'm very aware of it and will as I try to work on my racing....but I was obviously making a joke....didn't you see the smiley??

Matt Conrad
    Phoenix Race Works, LLC

If you have to add ballast then why bother with carbon fiber endplates? I really don't care if someone wants to add cosmetic bits (in other words, I'd never protest).
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Banned
    Liked: 1116

polar momment

I know it is a tiny amount but if it a) didn't help and/or b) didn't sell cars it wouldn't be on the car.

Default trick carbon parts

The trick carbon looking shelf paper on the front wing end plates is an extra cost option. I think it actually adds a little weight.

Wayne Felch

Liked: 7

Default Carbon Fiber

I can't believe some people think it's O.K to blatantly
    cheat like the stohr. If he can get away with the end
    plates, what else is carbon and covered with gel coat
    that we don't see? Then of course he can add ballast
    where he wants to and make the car handle better.
    Some of us will probably have a hard time getting
    or cars homologated while he can do whatever he wants.
    That's pretty sad.

That was what was called a joke. The pictures are from what was called a test. We have plenty of fiberglass parts for SCCA racing. sorry.

Wayne

Default Video

Any Video?
    Matthew Inge
    http://www.MatthewIngeRacing.com
    Never Forget VT 4-16-2007

Default Easy there....

Easy there folks. Lets not go jumping the canyon with our little motorcycles. As Wayne said, it was a test. Check Mylaps, They didn't race that weekend.

Talk about the overreaction.

1) I see a picture of what looks like carbon fiber.
    2) If it is they are saving 10 grams.
    3) They must have used it at a race
    4) They are cheaters
    5) If they are cheating at this, then they must be cheating at everything
    6) i bet you that car is made of carbon fiber
    7) That scoop on top probably has something in it that is not legal
    8) The scoop has nitrous plumbed through it to generate more horsepower. that is where the 3.5 mph came from
    9) That is where they are getting that 180 hp number
    10) Etc,, Etc. Etc.

Lighten up. The fact that it will be hard to get your car homolgated doesn't mean that Lee is cheating and he can do whatever he wants. The Stohr has to live by the same rules as you , the Citation, VD, and the Phoenix and if you think they don't, then protest.

I really don't believe there is anything sinister happening, although Lee/Wayne may be to blame for all the frivilous lawasuits happening in this country and very likely Lee has personally driven up the price of oil. But those accusations are for another forum.

Ken
    Ken

Ken,

Lee is on the Formula and Sports Racer Advisory Committee, so probably even a hint of impropriety should be avoided. Like, say, for instance, using carbon fiber endplates on an F1000 at an SCCA National race at Thunderhill, as opposed to a test, if the distinction is important to you.

Personally, even if I were a competitor in FB, this is not something that would concern me overly much, but then again, rules are rules. Especially for somebody who retains an advisory position over said rules.

Cheers,
    Rennie

Default Video

If Ken watched the video I think he would learn not to downshift like that. I am suprised the chain and drivetrain held up. Congratulations on building a strong car Sean!

Rennie,

Are you sure those were carbon fiber at TH? Really sure?
    Ken

Quote Originally Posted by slowmotion View Post
    If Ken watched the video I think he would learn not to downshift like that. I am suprised the chain and drivetrain held up. Congratulations on building a strong car Sean!
    What??

As I've posted before the microphone is an internal unit in the Chasecam which is mounted near the nose. What might sound like a drop-off in rpm's really was not. I match revs and use the clutch for each downshift. The chain has been on the car for 4 full events with test days with nearly no signs of wear and only minimal stretch.

On the other hand, if your comment was based on something else, please share.
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Quote Originally Posted by VehDyn View Post
    Rennie,

Are you sure those were carbon fiber at TH? Really sure?

Knowing Lee and his fastitious rule reading nature, my first assumption is that he obtained black-tinted fiberglass cloth in the same fat weave he gets his non-structural carbon in, and he's playing mind games. Whatever floats his boat. It certainly seems to be distracting some folks, but like I said in my earlier post it's not something I would personally be worried about.

"Hint of impropriety" comments still apply though.

Cheers,
    Rennie

I suppose if you make all the bodywork out of carbon then paint it, it still meets the letter of the rule, if not the spirit! ie, air flow is running over paint not carbon. Just thinking out loud!

Liked: 273

Default f1000 looks like I made the right choice

Man, all this trash talk gets me excited. Theoretical lap times, carbon wing end plates. After being away from the sport for 17 years things sure have changed. Welcome me back boys and I'll be sporting either a new Phoenix or Stohr chassis soon.

Oh how I long for the days of 70 car FF fields at Riverside. I think this F1000 class is shaping up to be something big and I can't wait to be a part of it.

Gary H
    original swift investor 83
    Gary Hickman
    Edge Engineering Inc
    FB #76

Quote Originally Posted by VehDyn View Post

Lighten up. The fact that it will be hard to get your car homolgated doesn't mean that Lee is cheating and he can do whatever he wants. The Stohr has to live by the same rules as you , the Citation, VD, and the Phoenix and if you think they don't, then protest.
    Ken
    You shouldn't have to protest every time to gain compliance withn the rules. Those look like the same, or very similar to the endplates that were used in the race in the Portland regional. There were some commnets and light was made about it at that time. Recently the photo of the car was deleted from the Portland post, but someone else captured it in a photo

http://thedigitalperspective.exposur...filesize=large

I don't have the time or the money to compete with Lee. But I plan to have fun and do it within the rules. I would expect that those racing with me would have the common decency to do the same. Maybe the stakes are higher for builders since their financial well-being is at stake, while mine is not. My question is, if it were cheating or not, how would a steward determine if it is carbon fiber or glass Last time I was involved with a protest, the protester had to design a tool to determine the validity of the protest. Compound molecular analyzer anybody
    Ian MacLeod
    "Happy Hour: 5:00 - 5:30"
    Tatuus F1k

Contributing Member Billy Wight's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sidney View Post
    My question is, if it were cheating or not, how would a steward determine if it is carbon fiber or glass Last time I was involved with a protest, the protester had to design a tool to determine the validity of the protest. Compound molecular analyzer anybody
    Carbon is electrically conductive and fiberglass is not. All you would have to do is stick a multimeter on the part and check for conductivity. You would have to poke the probes through the gelcoat, but that would be easy and non-destructive enough with thin and sharp probes.
    Billy Wight
    Luxon Engineering
    www.luxonengineering.com
    858.699.5313 (mobile)
    billy@luxonengineering.com

Quote Originally Posted by Brands View Post
    I suppose if you make all the bodywork out of carbon then paint it, it still meets the letter of the rule, if not the spirit! ie, air flow is running over paint not carbon. Just thinking out loud!
    You could still consider it a carbon external panel, which is a violation of the rules as they state: "Carbon fiber is prohibited in any external panels or any panels licked by the air stream".

This is getting serious Don't make me open up a can of whoop as..wait! Is that Lewis Hamilton sitting in my car!?

See you guys at the races. Carbon or no carbon...it's gonna be sweet!

Contributing Member Richard Dziak's Avatar
    Liked: 3

GoPro:

The car looks awesome........good luck and ENJOY that new toy.

Yes, I think that might be Lewis in the cockpit.
    Richard Dziak
    Las Cruces, New Mexico
    Former Phoenix F1K-07 F1000 #77 owner/driver
    email: sonewmexico@gmail.com

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Dziak View Post
    GoPro:

The car looks awesome........good luck and ENJOY that new toy.

Yes, I think that might be Lewis in the cockpit.

Thanks Richard! I cannot wait for it to arrive. And thanks to everyone who slaved to make this class and car happen. So much work, so much work.

Our own personal F1 series is coming to fruition. Quick times, manfuacturer wars, and hot looking cars that finally make my girlfriend cool with me spending so much on racing.

WAY TO GO(PRO)!

Thread Information