Liked: 3787

Default When are we going to hear from VD?

I remember the Project 281 cars. Then there was Formula Ireland. And all those jolly lads are screaming around the island with Blackbird powerplants. Afterall it was the predecessor for the famous FSCCA car...

So when are we going to hear from the sleeping giant?

Here is an example:

http://www.racer-net.com/scaf5001.htm

Damn, if I was a good reporter I should have just walked over to Panoz/Elan last Friday and asked them.

Liked: 553

I've been wondering about that, too. If I had $32,000 I'd probably jump on that car. Maybe it has problems and or doesn't fit FB rules without modifications. I'm also assuming that it has good parts availability and interchangability with other VD cars, like FSCCA.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 31

Hi Frog, Yes the 281 did do some mileage with the 1137 honda with Brian Sellars at the wheel back in 2002 at Roebling.In that configuration we got down to a 7 dead on Cooper Pro spec rubber.

Formula Ireland is powered by an 1800 Zetec with LD 200 box.

The original batch of 5, 281's or FormulaX chassis that went to Dubai were offered to me this winter for 20,000 sterling.30 sets of wheels,and loads of bodies and spares!Tried to find them a couple of weeks ago ,and they have all been sold.

We have tested the 1 Litre version here at the Primus Proving Ground exstensively,and Alexander Rossi on Hankooks ended up going a 1.01.3 compared to a 1.02.5 best by Dane Cameron in the R&D version of the Zetec. IE Big Motor/Aero Soft tires.

My brother,and I are in the process of buying the the remaining inventory from Van Diemen,and have one here at the moment.
    The chassis I'm afraid is a bit dated compared to what is being offered at the moment.
    I had a conversation with David Bowes last week,and they are focusing on FSCCA,and Ford 2000 at the moment,and well they should as both are looking good for them. Jon

Liked: 3787

Jon,

The chassis may not be as dated as you think. It certainly is not as dated as a 96 VD.

Older, proven suspensions, may not be a bad thing.

Classifieds Super License
    Liked: 31

Frog i think that if someone wants a VD F1000, look at the post below from Jay Novak.
    He is good at what he does,and this will be the thing to beat.
    I'm sure that a full blown DSR driven well should do sub 22's at Road Atlanta.The record for a Zetec is low 22's on the old surface on Avon A-24's.So add a bit of power and take off 200 lbs, mess about with the weight Dist add some Goodyears....... Easy Right? Jon

Liked: 553

Interesting. So, the VD F2000 chassis (pretty much unchanged since '98) is a better basis for F1000 than the purpose-built (for bike power) 2002 (-ish) "281" chassis.

I guess that's because the 281 chassis is more of a spec car compared to the F2000 chassis.

I'd believe it, but I still like the idea of a chassis built by VD from scratch with motorcycle power in mind. And it seems like a manufacturer has some advantages over a fabricator converting a car meant for one class to another.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Liked: 0

Is this a 281 car. Spec sheet shows a 1137 honda, but the roll hoop is exposed unlike the above picture. just curious. I thought I had read about this car elsewhere. I am not crazy!!

http://www.race-cars.com/carsold/van...57731498ss.htm
    Jeff O

Liked: 3

Default Van Diemen F1000

Frog,

I pursued this option, but several involved in Panoz/VD told me that they were happy selling DP02 and FSCCA cars right now. Scrapping over $30-40k F1000 cars with Stohr, Phoenix and Speads just wasn't a good business proposition for them.

I know that the guys at BritWest are selling new Van Diemen FC chassis. So you could order one sans engine/gearbox and buy Jay's kit. So that is one route you could pursue to get a new Van Diemen F1000.

But, given the generally depressed value of all FC chassis, I think you can get a great deal by converting one right now. Lightened bits, good shocks, data systems, extra noses/wheels/suspension etc... Buy in the $20k range, sell the engines, gearbox and other pieces unneeded, and do the whole project for mid-$20,000s (with spares). Where else can you go this fast this cheap?

Sean

Liked: 23

Quote Originally Posted by Sean Maisey View Post
    Scrapping over $30-40k F1000 cars with Stohr, Phoenix and Speads just wasn't a good business proposition for them.
    Just as Lola and Reynard figured out it was easier to sell 25 $300k champ cars than 250 $30k club cars...the next question is when VD will start their F1 project and head to receivership just like Lola & Reynard....
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Liked: 8

Tim,since Martin Birrane took over Lola they have been quite successful in all formulae and Lola Composites is working in aerospace stuff now I'm not sure if it was money or management but they seem to have both now.

Dave Craddock

Liked: 23

Quote Originally Posted by preform resources View Post
    Tim,since Martin Birrane took over Lola they have been quite successful in all formulae and Lola Composites is working in aerospace stuff now I'm not sure if it was money or management but they seem to have both now.

Dave Craddock
    Yes, they are a very different company today...but they still went through receivership in almost exactly the same pattern predating Reynard with few of the original leaders of Lola still in place now.
    ------------------
    'Stay Hungry'
    JK 1964-1996 #25

Thread Information