Thread: Tyre selection

Liked: 0

Default Tyre selection

I ned some help with tyres! Having only ever raced in championships with a spec tyre I have no idea where to start as far as my F1000 is concerned. Any help and recomendations will be much appreciated.

Also I'd like to add my congratulations to Sean for his win at the weekend. I went along both days and found it to be a most encouraging and motivating experience! I hope to be out testing within a month or so.

Liked: 3787

What chassis? What size rims do you own? What race track? What possible weather? We need a few more details...

Ah! OK then...

I have a converted Van Diemen chassis (similar to Sean's but twin front dampers) with 8" and 10" tyres (tires I should say) and as I'm in Georgia, pretty hot weather.

Thanks!

Liked: 126

Try Hoosier 35's or GY 160's first.

Liked: 3787

8" and 10" tyres, or 8" and 10" rim widths?

Assuming 8/10 rim widths. The jury is still out. Sean was quicker last weekend on 6/8 rims. I'd suggest on 6/8 to use FC tyres. Usually Hoosier r35 or GY 160. But, for initial testing r45 or GY250 will work.

On 8/10, basically the same compounds. But used Cooper or Hankook pro tyres will work for initial testing. We have found that when running the 8/10 getting enough heat into the tires was an issue. With that said, in July at Barber, 8/10 may be the faster set up because of the combination of gawd awful heat and low top speeds. At RRR in July I would still go with the 6/8 because of higher top speeds needed.

Being 200 lb. lighter puts a bit less load on the tires. The mc engines don't create as much mass swinging around in the rear of the car like a pinto and LD200. Combine that with the low mc torque and we are not seeing very much tire wear on the rears. Last year Sean ran about all year on one set of tires on 8/10 seeing almost no wear. He had a hell of a time getting any heat into 8/10s.

Much depends on suspension geometry, spring rates, motion ratios, center of gravity, roll centers, aero induced downforce, ARB sizes, etc.

Your mileage may vary.

Liked: 126

I'm going to run 6's and 8's with FC tyres (probably the Avons) my first time out in the Citation. I'll then experiment with 8's and 10's with softer compounds later.

I am just curious why nobody has wanted to try to GY 7 & 9 in the 250 compound. This might be a nice in between tire.

Default Used Tires For Sale

I have a used and new Hoosier tire ad in the General Classifieds section. These are for 13 inch wheels that are 8, 10 and 12 inches in width and are a medium to hard compound.

While these tires are made for use on a circle track Midget they should work well for road racers too. Our National team uses them for a single event then they are replaced with a new tire.

Check out my ad then send me an email if you are interested. dedonis@kans.com

Thanks!
    Gerry Dedonis
    Crewman, Nine Racing Inc.
    Last edited by Gerry Dedonis; 03.28.07 at 3:51 PM.
    KSGerry

Thanks for the all the info. As far as suplliers are concerned is there a dealer locally (Atlanta)?
    Thanks

Default GY 7's and 9's

Goodyear 7's and 9's also work well in different situations. As with all tires you have to set the car up to work with the various tire spring rates and circumferences. The GY 9's have a different rate than the 10's. Talk with your tire supplier and learn what heat ranges the various compounds work in as well as the spring rates.

Liked: 553

Quote Originally Posted by Brands View Post
    Thanks for the all the info. As far as suplliers are concerned is there a dealer locally (Atlanta)?
    Thanks
    Not really. The two best options are to get them from a dealer at a race track they attend, or to have them shipped to you.

I'm biased towards Hoosiers. The guys at Appalacian Tire are at every race I've been to for the past few years. They offer great service and product. I haven't tried other tires because I haven't felt the need or desire to.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Thread Information