Thread: Advice

Liked: 0

Default Advice

I am sure you get this type of post often, but I would be interested in getting some opinions.

My wife has given me the green light to buy a new race car, she has pretty much told me to buy whatever would make me happy.

Thus I would be interested in getting a qualified opinion on what my next step should be. My objective is to race and have fun.

Currently I road race karts and I love it. Low maint, great competition etc, in my first year racing I won a "Duffy" and a IKF region championship. I would not give up kart racing, this would add to that. In addition I race offshore powerboats with Pacific Offshore, SBI, APBA, OSS, etc. My objective would be to race on a regional level as I really do not like to travel. In the event I was to qualify for a big race like the run-offs, I would go and do what was needed to put a car around me that could win (just the type of person I am, somebody has to win, why not me?)

While I am 41, I have enjoyed racing success in boats, karts, dirt stock cars, sprint cars and midgets. Thus strapping in is nothing new, although formula racing would be.

Please be brutal in your assessment of what I would be qualified to race, as a first step into formula cars.

The classes that I seem to like are FM, F1000 and F500. My other option is to get a new Lotus 2-11 and run the series Lotus is currently working on for 2008, but I think formula cars might be a good place to go next (then maybe the Lotus).

Thank you in advance for your opinions.

Liked: 3787

First question always is:

And your annual budget would be?

One can spend anywhere from $10K to $250K (and up) club racing. Available cash is the number one determining factor.

We need a range.

Sorry about that, honestly I would be willing to spend about $30k a year racing.

Thus I need a class that has a good engine platform where my cost is travel, tires and the occassional mishap.

As for start-up cost, I could afford up to $100k for the right set-up (although would prefer to do it for less which would leave me more money for racing).

Honestly I could spend more, but would prefer to race the right class, not just the cheapest or most expensive.

Thanks

You should add FSCCA and DSR to your list. Your budget should be adequate for both (maybe a little tight for a serious DSR effort).

FSCCA might suit you if you want a low maintenance solution, in that you could have a Shop run the car for you and they are quite well sorted. Plus its a spec class so you know you have the right car

DSR's are way cool (a sportscar not an openwheeler) but are the antithesis of a spec car. Very high tech and very quick.

I'm not an expert on these classes but they are certainly worth adding to your list

good luck!
    Ian

Liked: 1

With 100k I would buy a F2000 ZeTech (RF-02? 40K) do some Reg and Nat races then go F2000 pro. If you can drive.

On the high side get a Ralt (RT-41 50K) do some Reg and Nats then go to the run-offs?

For 30K get a RF-00 and do reg until you get the feel then go Nats and the Run-offs.
    $$ is one thing, time is another just do a lot of weekends to get good in the car.
    Find a guy in your area that you can hang out with and learn the ins and outs of the SCCA deal that will speed up the process a ton.

Try to buy the MOST car you can get for the $$, one of the big mistakes is buying a "trainer car" and getting board with it too fast.Don't be scared to get a BA car right off. You'll thank yourself in 6 mo.

Im your age and had to buy a RF-95 wishing that I had the $$ for a RF-01 but thats the difference between 10K and 30K ...remember we ain't getting any younger so go fast now. You won't regret it.

PS you can save a ton of $$ if you don't crash?
    SuperTech Engineering inc.
    Mark Hatheway

If you head out to Thunderhill this weekend, there is a National. You can see DSR, F1000, FSCCA, FC, and FA. That would be the perfect opportunity to compare them in the paddock and see them on track.
    Ken

Liked: 553

Quote Originally Posted by ryoung99 View Post
    <snip>My wife has given me the green light to buy a new race car, she has pretty much told me to buy whatever would make me happy.
    Wasn't there an internet-famous classified ad recently that went something like: Harley for sale. I guess "Do whatever the hell you want" didn't exactly mean what I thought when she said it." :-).

If you haven't been to an SCCA race, I'd suggest going, checking out the different classes and see what starts to suck you in.

Are you small, medium or large? Sometimes that's a factor.

That $30,000 per year - how much is for the initial purchase and how much for your racing budget each year?
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Late Braking Member
    Liked: 217

Since you have a decent budget, next question I'd ask is "how many cars your want to race with?" It looks like you'd be racing with us in San Francisco Region, come to a race and see what things are like. Some classes have lots'o cars some don't.
    There's a race car show, I mean double national at Thunder Hill this weekend, only about an hour from home up I-5. You should check it out, Stohr supposed to be there with his DSR and F1000, should be some FCs, FSCCAs, etc.

Steve

Liked: 309

Default Come to Thunderhill

Rick,

You should come up to Thunderhill Raceway Park this Saturday or Sunday for the Double National race. There will be first class examples of every National Class represented among the hundreds of cars, not to mention some fine racing as well. Thunderhill is a bit over two hour's drive from Shingle Springs. Just come down 50 and head north on I-5 to Willows (about 90 miles north of Sacto), then 7 miles west on Highway 162. Come up to Thunderhill and I will sign you in as a guest, give you a guided tour, introduce you to teams running every kind of car you read about here (and more!), including an in-depth look at each kind of car, and generally ensure you get the red carpet treatment...

If you are currently driving karts and have driven sprinters you will have no trouble adapting to any class in the club. Your age is not a handicap...recent National Champions in both our highest open wheel and sedan classes have been men in their 40's or 50's who started racing late.

Send me an email at scc1909 at yahoo dot com and I will reply with my cell phone number.

Hope to see you there!

Stan
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 11

You will find people recommending what they drive...

Ken's advise was spot-on. Go to a race, sit in the cars, talk to the owners. I'd even suggest crewing for someone and getting some hands-on experience. Then let it all sink in and make your decision.

Otherwise, just buy an F1000.
    Sean O'Connell
    1996 RF96 FC
    1996 RF96 FB
    2004 Mygale SJ04 Zetec

Liked: 48

Buy a competitive Formula Atlantic and have a prep shop in your area take care of the rest. Show up with your gear and go racing. I wish I had your problem - I'm lucky to buy myself a set of used formula ford tires this year.

Ian
    Ian Lenhart
    Level 11 Creative
    www.level11creative.com
    lenhart06@yahoo.com

Sounds like I have something to do this Sunday.

We are road racing the karts on Saturday at Infineon, so I will be there.

Originally I told my wife I was going to take the Lotus for a drive to Altamont on Sunday, I will change that to Thunderhill. Or if I can get her to agree we can take the RV straignt from Infineon to Thunderhill. That way the 4 year old can watch as well (she loves racing).

We race karts there so I know the track.

Thanks for the insight, looking forward to stopping by on Sunday.

It is a bummer that I have a race, otherwise I could bring the RV and make a weekend out of it.

Liked: 3787

See what happens with the inclusion of a few details.

You left-coasters... make sure he can get in. Arrange for him to be on somebody's crew, etc.

Bring the RV and the wife. She may be very impressed by the different atmosphere of club racing. Good people.

Greg Mercurio

Rick: Stop by on Sunday. Yellow and Blue #37 Formula Continental, mercuryracing on the trailer.
    I promise to give you an unbiased opinion on cars in general.

Rick and I just spoke and he and his family will be up in the RV late Friday morning to spend the afternoon at the track before heading to Infineon for Saturday's races. Greg, you going to be there then? So far I think we have him lined up to see F500, FA, FB, C/DSR, FE, FF, FM, S2, FC, SRF and anybody else who doesn't run from our approach...

Stan
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Greg Mercurio

Bummer: I'm working Friday am. Won't get there until late Friday afternoon.Thomas Copeland should be there as well as Frank Williams with their FC's though. Lots of FF's as well. Stan Townes, Dave Jalen, Larry Bangert etc.

Stan,

dont forget to show Rick an FV....he can buy the whole grid

Ian

Classifieds Super License Charles Warner's Avatar
    Liked: 416

Before you commit make sure you like it. Barber, Russel, Daley, Roos - try a school that will put you in a formula car and make sure it melts your butter. After you determine that, go looking.
    Charlie Warner
    fatto gatto racing

'Cause there's bugger-all down here on earth!

Thank you again for all of the offers and thoughts.

A couple things to be sure, #1, no decision will be rushed. #2 what-ever the "lucky" class is, I will try and find someone locally to attend some races with this season and be their slave in exchange for knowledge.

Hopefully there will be someone real local so that I can spend the time between races to really understand the cost of ownership (in terms of time). I really prefer to do my own maint with help from the professionals as opposed to just turning the car over the the pro's.

Stan was very gracious today, but got one fact wrong, the wife and little one will not be with me. They are going to give me my day and meet me the next day at Infineon. That might be a bad move on her part.....

Actually I have told her that we are looking at the 2008 season. That would give us the proper time (if we start now) to put together an operation. Part of that is driven by the fact that my shop is about to start construction. It will be done in 6-8 weeks, but it has to be complete before I buy another car.

Thanks again for the help and thoughts.

Rick

After you obtain your SCCA license, consider renting to experience different vehicles. I am sure there are a few FSCCA (FE) rentals, I know there are FC as well. Here in Texas, a Stohr F1000 will be available next month (www.tmgracer.com). Good luck.

I went through the same process this past year. I am a big fan of DSR, but after see the F1000 class rules develop I realized it was the class for me so i bought one. Buying a racecar, though, is a very presonal/individual thing. Everybody will have their own personal interests/bias, but at the end of the day, do you like blondes, brunnettes, or red heads. Some like them all. Its an individual thing.....
    Ken

Thanks Ian. I figured I'd forget somebody...

Charlie's comments remind me of something I was going to tell Rick. SCCA does not accept kart licenses, so you will need to attend a school at some point. CalClub, our SCCA neighbors to the south, have a competition licensing school in May at Buttonwillow (down I-5 near Bakersfield). You could rent a formula car for the school if you'd like to "try before you buy". And of course, there is the Russell School at Infineon. Either can complete your licensing needs. The Novice permit is good for two years, leaving plenty of time to buy a car at your leisure.

See you Friday!

Stan
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Banned
    Liked: 1116

With that budget and past/current experience you would be doing yourself a huge disservice by not STRONGLY considering F1000.

Look at that section of this forum.

The FF fields in SFR are pretty stout, but I don't think the car would give you much of a challenge--roughly equivelent to your kart in terms of performance--a little faster but no where near 250 speeds.

FV would be an absolute bore. That's what I race because it is cheap, low maintenance and pretty good competitiion in the VARA scene. In terms of "performance"--think of it as a rough equivelent to a TaG sit up.

F500 might offer you some interest because of the similarities to karts--but check out the grid size in your local region.

Default Thanks again

I wanted to take this opportunity to thank Stan Clayton for taking time out of his day on Friday to show me the different cars.

It became pretty simple pretty fast which class was for me. Now I just need to get a little seat time and find the right deal.

The even better news is that I found a couple of cars in this class for sale today. Just need to figure out if this is a case where buying used would make more sense than new.

..... I am sure you are all waiting on the edge of your seats...... FE appears to be the class for me. From what I saw it really foot the bill and we can easily afford to race the class.

Any insight on this class, new v. used would be appreciated.

Thanks again for all of your input.

Rick

It was good to meet you, too, Rick! Now, just get yourself a car and to school and come join the fun! Stan
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Default fe class

hey Rick welcome aboard I dont think i got a chance to meet you or maybe I did . my son Brandon drives the 83 f.e. the car and class are a lot of fun and affordable this is our 4th yr.on the original motor and if you hung around you saw how well it runs .. new vs used good question depends on who put it together .. the fun part of a new one is putting it together and you get to see it come to life. get what ever your preference is atheres lots of good people that will help either way . if you have a need give Chuck Johnson or my self a call or email.... Dan

Liked: 77

Hi Rick,

I think that you are making a wise decision. I just bought chasis #75 . If you would like to discuss what I found out while shopping for cars I'd be more than happy to discuss it with you.

Right now I live in Indy but sometime this year I'll be moving back to Northern California. I can be reached on my cell phone 707-372-1458

Jeff Read
    JR

"Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most ! "

Thread Information