Liked: 24

Default Best tire for towing?

Guys, looking for advice on best tire for towing. I have a 2003 Silverado 2500HD 4x4. Tow up to 10,000 lbs maybe 10,000 miles per year. But sometimes I want to drive 85 mph a long distance with no trailer. Have been stuck a few times with the OEM tires I am replacing. Also, noise is a concern, would like a tire which had a reasonble ride quality and highway noise level.

What is the best comprimise for heavy trailering (faster than I should), but dont want to get stuck in the mud and snow so need good traction. I was looking at the Michelin LTX AT or LTX MS, not sure which of those is best, and the Goodyear Wrangler silent armour.

Thanks in advance, Rick

Liked: 0

Default Ltx Ms

Rick,

I have LTX MS (load range E) on my 02 Duramax 2500HD Crew 4X4. Great tires, much quieter than the All-terrain type that were on the truck before. Truck is a daily driver and weekend tow vehicle. No problem with towing our 28 ft. horse trailer with 3 horses and extras. No problem in snow.

I use Rice Tire Commercial Sales, there may be a location near you, good pricing. They are a medium-large truck tire dealer and the LTX MS was their recommendation. After the noisy performance and tread "cupping" problems and high wear rate with 2 sets of all-terrain tires in the past, I doubt I'll ever put all-terrain On?off road tires on that truck again. LTX MS for me.
    Greg
    SF86 Reynard FC
    FRCCA http://www.formularacecarclubofamerica.com
    Bill Scott Formula Car Series http://www.bsfcs.com
    BMod Autocrosser http://www.nationalroadrally.com/

Liked: 111

I have been a believer in Michelin LTX A/T tires for quite a while. Not very noisy. Handle well. Good mud traction. Wear FOREVER. Really, they have outlasted the three Jeeps I have put them on. I have over 50k on the current set and I don't play nicely with them.

jim

Liked: 1

Rick,

I also use and like the Michelin LTX M/S.

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1488

Me too. Only complaint is that they don't get quite the milage on my GMC 2500HD that I used to get on my standard 2500. Evidently the torque of the big block puts a lot of strain on the rears. I saw a press release from goodyear recently that indicated they were working on a compound/tread pattern to reduce the wear rate on high torque/HP trucks.

Liked: 605

uhhhhh.....we don't get stuck in the snow in florida....so i'll keep the F250 diesel crew cab on Pirelli Scorpions
    36,000 miles and they look like i can get at least another 10K plus.....they tow fine at 79.5 mph with the cruise on just fine and do 95+ smoothly through the infield right hand dog leg [driver's school] at daytona too

Liked: 0

Default Radial Tire in Silver Spring

Rick, you may want to call Radial Tire in Silver Spring, and talk to the owner Paul Moorcones. He also races SCCA, so he understands completely what you are asking for. He will give you both good advice and a good price. He also has the equipment to balance the tire on the truck if you prefer.

Liked: 1

If you have an in with a tire machine somewhere, try the tire rack. There prices are hard to beat. Even with shipping.

Thread Information