Liked: 1

Default Phoenix F1K07 Engine Dyno Pull

I hope this works....

George Dean took a short (10 second) video of one of the pulls on our new GSX-R1000 motor for the F1K-07 prototype. You can see it here....

http://s141.photobucket.com/albums/r...v?t=1170522147

This is a bone-stock 2005-06 era GSX-R1000 engine with a stock airbox and stock header (it does have an aftermarket muffler). The computer screen in the video shows the RPM's just hitting the 12,000 mark and the HP tops out at 165.2 at 11,700 rpm's. The SuperFlow dyno George has measures the HP at the rear wheel.

Matt Conrad
    Phoenix Race Works, LLC
    Last edited by Matt Conrad; 02.03.07 at 1:18 PM. Reason: link not working

Contributing Member
    Liked: 863

I just looked at this...impressive HP, especially if its at the rear wheels- and I bet it will get higher as people develope the motors.

I did have one thought, however. These cars are 1000 lb, flat bottomed, tube frame construction vehicles which will most likely be running at close to FA speeds. What is going to happen when they hit something? FC's running on ovals (really the only place a FC spends any time above 140 mph with a couple of exceptions) produced some very serious injuries in the past. I agree that ovals are different from road courses, but to me the potential speed might be an issue.

I'd love to hear some thoughts along these lines.
    ----------
    In memory of Joe Stimola and Glenn Phillips

Liked: 3787

Bob,

You just need to make sure you have a DIP* filed at home with your other important papers.

*Disability Insurance Policy.

Liked: 1403

Bob Wright:

The F1000 rules punted on the safety issue. For legal reasons the club will not touch the issue. But any design that advances the design requirements of the FF/FC rules will be good.

A properly designed tube frame can provide good protection. But you need to have good crush structures at both ends, a strong body schell and provide all the driver protections found in higher level cars: bead seats and head impact structures as examples.

It may be that when you use a tube frame, certain design features of the carbon tubs can not be used.In the end it is always up to the designer to build the safety in to the car.

SCCA officials are not qualified, and you should not expect them to be, to evaluate the safety of individual designs. Without doing crash testing, it is all a guess any how.

The SCCA could do something to help advance safety by adopting a accident review program like that used by the FAA for general aviation. By gathering and publishing safety information competitors could use the data to advance safety of their own cars.

I was involved in a crash years ago that helped motivate SCCA to adopt arm restraints the following year. A friend got the entire accident on film. Once you saw the pictures, you did not need a rule telling you to wear arm restraints.

Thread Information