Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Liked: 31

Default 14 year olds !?!?

Found this after clicking on the Stohr F1000 ad found on Apexspeed:

"In speaking with members of SCCA's competition board, the club is considering granting a restricted regional license to 14 or 15 year-olds with prior karting experience upon completion of an SCCA school. This is good news for the club and the F1000 class."

No, it's not...

Your comments, please

Tom Duncan

Contributing Member D.T. Benner's Avatar
    Liked: 2

Default I don't think so!

Well I would be fine with that if ALL the 14 and 15 year olds were in one group without anyone else on the track at the same time!
    Look ,I know that a kid who started racing Go Karts at 3 will have 10 years experience in THAT kind of racing but REAL racecars have a lot more going on at a lot higher speed and the results of any mistake are way greater than what happends to a 100 Lb. Kart at 50 MPH!
    I for one don't think this is such a GREAT idea!

Banned
    Liked: 1116

One of the common comments about getting the kids out of karts and into cars is that we don't have something that piques their interest. F1000 WILL. Make them wait too long and they'll be on to something else.

Sure there is a level of better judgement that comes with experience and maturity, but some of these kids have more experience than many of us. Even if they've only been karting for 8 years, the number of races they have competed in and the level of competition for the serious karter is greater than what most of us will be exposed to in 20 years of racing.

Agreed, they will likely make a bad choice once in a while, as will most 16 or 18 year olds. Problem is that they probably won't be paying as much for their mistake financially or physically as the rest of us. So, what do you do--tell them they must have a job to report to on Monday as well as kids to raise before they can play with us?

Further, a 14 year old that has a Mommy or Daddy willing AND able to fund a f1000 effort didn't just step out of a 50 mph kart. But, I do get your point. The lessons to be learned early in your career will hurt you and everyone else more than a broken collar bone and a bent up $8000 kart.

Liked: 1

Default 15 16

We have a lot of DRIVERS in that age group racing here in NZ, in Formula First ( FV ) and FF1600 and in Formula Toyota, which are like F3 cars, except they are all of a standard spec. Now heres the thing, 99% come from karts, and some have even been racing shifter karts, and of that lot 99% will drive the pants of a lot of the older drivers, and do it well, there is a whole generation of young drivers out there who are in the main better drivers than most of us when we started, and they are well versed in car set up etc, I remember when I started racing I didn't have a clue about makeing a car handle, didn't care to much if it didn't stop to well, and more concerned about how big a engine we could fit in the hole,were we better than those younger drivers of today, I think not, and when you race with them, they will be passed you while you are thinking about it, but one thing they don't know about is "pain" so they tend to go where some of us wont, but its just an age thing, I'm sure thats why Mike S gave up, it was starting to hurt!
    Roger

Contributing Member D.T. Benner's Avatar
    Liked: 2

Default Race groupings.

OK,from my position. Here in the SCCA region that I race in we have 1 (one) Regional race group for all sports racers and formula cars (except FF,Fv and Spec Racers) This group has as many as 60 cars of all types! It's almost impossible to have a 30 min. race without an "incident" as it is. Some of the people who run in this group have more car than talent as it is.
    If a class like F1000 has it's own race group then I would be happy to see Jonny Go-Kart in it. Sure these kids (and no matter what you say they are kids) are seasoned veterans and have the reflexes of a falling cat but putting them in with the mix we have could be disaster waiting to happen.
    Should the be allowed to run? Sure but in a way thats safe for them and us.

Liked: 553

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Duncan View Post
    Found this after clicking on the Stohr F1000 ad found on Apexspeed:

"In speaking with members of SCCA's competition board, the club is considering granting a restricted regional license to 14 or 15 year-olds with prior karting experience upon completion of an SCCA school. This is good news for the club and the F1000 class."

No, it's not...

Your comments, please

Tom Duncan
    The Competition Board couldn't do something like this without the opportunity for ample membership input, right? My initial reaction is more cons than pros associated with this change.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Greg Mercurio

Russ: I expect this is one of those instances where the CRB/BOD will make a decision without member input. Kinda like the 5 new classes we got handed down to us on stone tablets.

Damn all bureaucrats!!! Especially the ones who consider fee$ above all else.

Looks like I'll send another letter to the BOD today.

Liked: 5

Quote Originally Posted by Quickshoe View Post
    One of the common comments about getting the kids out of karts and into cars is that we don't have something that piques their interest. F1000 WILL. Make them wait too long and they'll be on to something else.

Sure there is a level of better judgement that comes with experience and maturity, but some of these kids have more experience than many of us. Even if they've only been karting for 8 years, the number of races they have competed in and the level of competition for the serious karter is greater than what most of us will be exposed to in 20 years of racing.

Agreed, they will likely make a bad choice once in a while, as will most 16 or 18 year olds. Problem is that they probably won't be paying as much for their mistake financially or physically as the rest of us. So, what do you do--tell them they must have a job to report to on Monday as well as kids to raise before they can play with us?

Further, a 14 year old that has a Mommy or Daddy willing AND able to fund a f1000 effort didn't just step out of a 50 mph kart. But, I do get your point. The lessons to be learned early in your career will hurt you and everyone else more than a broken collar bone and a bent up $8000 kart.

I can't say it better than this. Watch the Stars of tomorrow races sometime on Speed. Now compare that to some guy who races twice a year to keep his licence.

Bad idea? Bollocks. Bravo I say.

I was winning races without contact or incident behind the wheel of winged Sprint Cars on dirt bullrings at 15, but USAC and SCCA wouldn't give me a license to road race so much as a Formula Ford until I was 16. What, like I was going to have trouble controlling the car and making good decisions in traffic?

Cheers,
    Rennie

Liked: 309

The BoD and CRB have been having a low-level discussion about permitting 14 and 15 year old drivers for at least the year I have been on the CRB (and probably before that). The question has recently come to the fore because we have a 14-yo applicant for a waiver to the 16-yo rule. The driver is a two-time IKF Champion (with more than 8000 documented laps), has completed the SCCA-sanctioned Skip Barber road racing school, is currently in the top 5 (of 50+) in their series, and is being courted by F-BMW and F-TR (F-TR race the former Fran-Am cars). How many drivers new to SCCA come with those credentials?

Barely 16-yo Graham Rahal never put a wheel wrong while driving away from a large, high quality Atlantic field at the 2005 Runoffs. That certainly settled in my mind the question of whether very young drivers can exercise the good judgement needed on the track for everyone's safety. Over the years SCCA has lowered the age limit from 21 to 18 and then to 16. With all the opportunities for young drivers to gain quality racing experience at ever younger ages, to NOT find ways to get them into the Club is to send them off to competing clubs and never see them at all. Like any new driver, if SCCA approves 14 and 15-yo drivers, they will be watched and monitored for poor judgement and/or driving skills. But to diss on them simply because of their age is prejudicial IMO.

Darrell, what kind of kart does only 50 MPH? The only ones I know are for kids under 9(?). The regular IKF karts will do over 100, and 125cc shifter karts will do 125+, and their lap record at Thunderhill is 1:48.3. Are you that fast?

Edit: In the spirit of full disclosure, Darrell...I'm not that fast, either!
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 91

If SCCA decides to now change their age limit to draw in lots of young karters I think their minds are in the wrong place. There are other "PRO" series (Formula TR, FBMW, Skip Barber) that already do this and suck up all the young karters with karting scholarships and promises of being in F1 in 4 years. I really doubt that F1000 will draw in more than a few karters. Unfortunatly the view with the younger generation is that SCCA doesnt do anything for you, except maybe get you a weekend of cheap testing at some tracks. Now I may be wrong and I think it would be very cool to see F1000 take off and have lots of cars. I want to see the class thrive. I just don't think it will happen this way.

On the other point of 14-15 yr old karters not being able to handle themselves in a car. I would be willing to bet most of them would, a "bad apple" would probably come along every now and then, but this happens in club racing all the time. We all know at least one guy that we stay away from at all costs on the track. If you get a chance to watch some of the Stars of Tomorrow or FL Winter Tour or some other series you see some of the closest racing and some of the best racing.

Don't crucify me, just my 2 cents.

Liked: 597

if you know what eye mean [or actually what purple frog meant]

..........as long as the kid's not a "shiny new driver suit"

Quote Originally Posted by Cole Morgan View Post
    If SCCA decides to now change their age limit ...
    Cole, did you mean "now" or "not"?
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 11

Default I will quit SCCA if this happens!

I could rant on here but I will try to control myself for now. I have had quite a bit of seat time in recient years competing against 14 year olds(and thier fathers!) in 125 shifter karts and in Kenyon midgets at the Speedrome in Indy. As a result of many "incidents" I refuse to compete with them any longer. Mostly it is the parents that are dangerous and the kids are just doing what they are told, win or crash(usually with me!) trying. Who do I have to contact to stop this insanity?

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Mercurio View Post
    Russ: I expect this is one of those instances where the CRB/BOD will make a decision without member input. Kinda like the 5 new classes we got handed down to us on stone tablets.

Damn all bureaucrats!!! Especially the ones who consider fee$ above all else.

Looks like I'll send another letter to the BOD today.
    Greg, the Club gets the same fee whether a car is in Class A or Class B.

The 5 new classes you appear to object to were each the product of either long lead times with plenty of opportunity for public discussion or the recent change to how new classes are being brought into the Club.

ST is the logical extension of Touring. There is plenty of interest in these cars and plenty of folks willing and able to buy and race them. The Touring community is ecstatic about the new class.

There has been building interest in racing WC GT and Touring cars (BP & DP) for a number of years as these cars have accumulated with nowhere to run in National racing. The GT, Touring and Prod communities stiffly resisted bringing these cars into their classes, and hence we created new National classes for them.

FE (F-SCCA) has more than 100 cars actively racing in the Club and have not only met the participation numbers, but did so in 2006 with 150 to spare. They would have been a new National class in another year anyway had not the BoD changed how new classes are brought into National racing.

FB (F-1000) is a separate class as the DIRECT RESULT of the FC community fighting to get motorcycle powered cars outlawed in that class. Pure and simple. (I'm not suggesting Greg participated in this resistance.) To all you guys who fought these cars in FC and are now complaining that there are too many classes, look no further than the mirror. If instead of resisting m/c engines in FC, had the FC community gotten behind a plan to bring new m/c powered cars into FC with a suitable SIR, those cars would now be plumping up FC's numbers instead of detracting from them.

Greg, please do write the BoD and CRB...your input is always welcome!

Stan
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Contributing Member quartzracer's Avatar
    Liked: 5

Default Humbling Experience

I have a sixteen year old Son that started karting at 8 years of age. He progressed through the Jim Russell karting school and then spent time with an independent driving coach. It was a humbling experience when he started to get proficient at being a competitive driver. Glancing over your shoulder and seeing your cute little boy whiz past as he out brakes you really puts your own skills in perspective. I think Stan relayed that he had the same experience with Ren. Now that my Son is sixteen I allowed him to take a regular driving course, I was approached by his instructor who was impressed with his heads up driving abilities and of course fast reaction times. There are of course different levels of maturity and skills in 14-15 year olds, but one thing for sure is that they exhibit no fear. I think each driver should be judged individually.

Contributing Member Steve Demeter's Avatar
    Liked: 909

I agree with DT. 16 IMHO is the absolute minimum.

Remember that everyone of them is not like Rennie or Cole.

Stan, as far as monitoring for poor judgement, the SCCA way of doing that is to ignore when another driver complains and maybe, maybe if the bad actor causes a huge accident and tears up many dollars of other people's cars (most that have to work to earn the money to fix them) then maybe take some action.

I say let the Skip Barber's, FBMW's have the young guys and keep the minimumm at 16. God knows, even the states do not allopw kids to ahve a driver's license until they are 16.

Sure a prodigy like Little Al, Rennie, Cole, Graham Rahal comes along,from time to time, but IMO 16 is plenty young enough to race in SCCA.

And in the FBMW and the like, everyone is in the same boat. Rich parents or some other source of funding pays for the cars that get torn up.

and as far as age discrimination, I think that there some of these type of series that require a maximum age and little or no prior car racing experience.

Not to demean anyone, but I think that most 14 or 15 yr olds are not mature enough to have me want them on the same racetrack and the screening process in SCCA is poor at best.

Contributing Member
    Liked: 9

I don't know about elsewhere, but here in the Pacific Northwest the track insurance costs would be prohibitive if we had sub-16-year olds on track. Maybe even sub-18.

tim

Liked: 8

Default Dont agree

I have seen plenty of under 16 kids race on oval tracks. I don't see them any different thant the other older drivers. Many are better. The driving that I have seen in small kids in Quarter Midgets is amazing.

I am sure that most would be a much better driver than me, since I don't race often.

2nd - I have seen many real stupid things done on a race tracks. So saying, Ah Ha, it is because of age does not work. I think in all age groups there are equally stupid drivers.

I think a 15 year old Marco Andretti would have run circles around me, be a better, smarter and safer driver.

Let them in on Probation, and assign a mentor. Give them penalties. At so many you get kicked out.

Greg Mercurio

Hi Stan: Already wrote the BOD and CRB.

The creation of 5 new NATIONAL classes was handed to us. Only the FSCCA earned their stripes. The rest was a BOD decision, without participation numbers. And if I remember correctly, without member input.

I just wonder whether the other 4 class decisions were rooted in the quest for entry fees?
    Pardon my opinion by the way.

Banned

One thing to consider is the Graham Rahals and Marco Andrettis are as much of an exception as the 14 year old karter coming into F1000 would be.

You simply are not going to get your average ability, 8 Club races a year 100cc clutch kart 14 year old being one of the ones stepping up to F1000. It will be the JICA and Jr. Shifter guys.

There are already tools in place to deal with "problem" drivers, so what is the concern?

Well to be fair about this argument, should we put a maximum age limit on racing too? The SCCA licensing should be stricter IMHO, if they become stricter I think it could turn out to be a positive thing. If not, I think there will be incidents that would taint the good drivers.

Liked: 553

Quote Originally Posted by Quickshoe View Post
    <snip>There are already tools in place to deal with "problem" drivers, so what is the concern?
    Well, one thing that popped into my mind was, what if (God forbid), a 14-15 year old was to perish while racing driving in an SCCA competition event?

I'm sure there is an occasional super talented kid, but there are probably many who could get SCCA licenses that I would not want to race with. I'd rather lose them to Formula BMW or whatever. That's a selfish view on my part, I'll admit.
    Racer Russ
    Palm Coast, FL

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Mercurio View Post
    Hi Stan: Already wrote the BOD and CRB.

The creation of 5 new NATIONAL classes was handed to us. Only the FSCCA earned their stripes. The rest was a BOD decision, without participation numbers. And if I remember correctly, without member input.
    Actually, the July Fastrack sought member input on the F-1000 and B and D Prepared proposals, while the Super Touring proposal was in the August issue.

I just wonder whether the other 4 class decisions were rooted in the quest for entry fees?
    I don't beleive that had anything to do with it. The BoD (as well as most informed club members) have become quite concerned for the future health of National racing, and are determined to take what steps they can to reverse the decline. By way of illustration, take a look as these long term data. If one removes SM from the equation, National entries dropped this year another 200 entries (from 9285 to 9067). There are several factors involved in the decline, but even a cursory glance shows that F/SR entries have fallen faster than tin-tops increased...until SM came along, when it really took off. And production based cars is where most of the new interest is. It's a Nascar world...

Pardon my opinion by the way.
    Ah...now don't go all warm and fuzzy on me, Greg!
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Liked: 0

Default Wow!

Being a father of one of these 14 year olds that is looking to move up. I can agree with some of your concerns, but this is were SCCA needs to step in and set guidlines for the participation, ie resume, letters of reference from the clubs or sanctioning bodies, they should be made to do 2 schools and the instrutors can't be affraid to say that jr is not ready. But for some of you to say that there is a big difference in a 100 lb gocart at 50mph don't have a current reality touch with some of the kart racing out there.

We have been racing for going on 8 years and now entering our 5 year in shifters (going through the 80novice to 80 jr to now a stock 125 class). Our novice kart weighed 260lbs with driver at 24hp (restricted CR80 engine-6 speed box) the 80jr kart 330 with driver and 34hp and the stock 125 class is 385 with 40hp.

We grew up on local sprint tracks 1/4 and 1/2 mile. When we went shifter kart raceing we started to run the larger tracks 3/4 and 1 mile events as well as Gratten and Gingerman.

This past season at Gratten I watched my boy and the other top 2 run for 30mins and at the finish ther was only 3/10 difference from 1st to 3rd. There were apprx 60 other karts on the track at the same time all different class's (our class was the fastest) There 3 to 5 lead changes per lap at any point on the track. By the way we were running mid 1:26 laps.

My point is that some of thes kids are more capable than you relize and some just have over zelise dads. For the over zelis das they have the FBMW and so on with the 350k budgets but for the ones that have gotten all they can get from karting and don't have the 350k to run a series that allows the age what are we suppose to do?

We are currently planning a F1000 for this year. But we will have plenty of track time before I turn him loose in a competition situation rather it be SCCA or not. Now we could be like some of the more recent NASCAR prodigies and lie about our age and come play and you would not know the difference now would you. But like stan said don't knock them because of there age!
    By the way did you know that some of the national karters spend upwards of 100k per season to run!

Just my thoughts!!

I had concerns when allowed my son to start racing a formula mazda at 15yrs old. That concern was with the "older" thus presumably more experienced drivers in the group. The only incidents he has been involved with was with those > 14-16yr olds that had "better judgment" and proceeded to make concact with him. He has more poise and car control than most he runs with. If you would poll the formula drivers in the lone-star and houston regions I dare say you would not find a single one that would not feel comfortable going deep into a corner side by side with him. Incedentally he took national points/divisional points in his class as well as winning the Southwest Formula Mazda Championship. Was he your average 15yr old driver when he started? I don't know but in 6 years of competing in karts at the national level I think any of the top ten kids he ran with would make a safe and responsible transition to cars..with the right guidance.

I say kudos to SCCA for having the forward thinking to provide an opportunity for those ready to proceed up the racing ladder to do so without spending the fortunes required to run those other series ....Formula TR...Formula BMW.

If some of you decide you won't run because of a driver such as my son being on the track then I will appreciate that you will save on my nose and sidepod expenses!

Robin Ardoin

I know you guys are using Gram Rahal and Marco as examples. But I have been to a few of the races that they ran in and I would take 25 of the 35 in field and put them an F1000 car. There is alot of talent out there and can't afford the 250,000 to 500,000 buy a seat in a BMW, but could come up with a 100,000. I don't know if that will get you a season or not with that. But I do know that I agree with giving them a mentor and watch them grow... I bet after a few races you would loose the one's that can't cut it and the ones that can will prosper big.

My Question is. When I turn 16 Buy a car and destroy half of the field in a crash. Is it ok Because I'm 16. Don't Worry I'm 37 and smarter than that. But it could happen to any one

Studyies show that after 38 Reflexes start to decline so should there be a rule that after 38 you can't race any more????? Didn't think so. What you need to look at. Is it a hobby or a ladder???? I see the F1000 a ladder for younger drivers and a hobby for the older drivers so how do you seperate it. Look at the entryies Pro and Novice. I see it Novice starts at the rear untill they get a Pro endorsment..

Boy, lots of good opinions but... Having just gone through this with my own sonI have the following observations. 1. Just because other series allow this practice does NOT mean we should. I believe Cole is correct, other series already fill that void. Paddy is also 100% correct, we have lived through some of the same experiences. 2. I do not believe ANY 14-?? year old understands their mortality, this is not a video game! I was very concerned that my 16 year old needed to understand this and worked very hard to bring him up slowly and worked to insure he understood the ramifications of HIS decisions. 3. No matter what you say Karting is not the same, similar but not the same. If there is any misunderstanding I would like to be clear, in no way do I believe it is prudent for any parent to advance their child at such an age. Yes I know it is done. I hear the remarks about reflexes, good jugement,and ability and agree, some kids (kids is a key word) do posses those attributes, but I do not believe SCCA needs to make exceptions regardless of documentation. I could go on but these are my thoughts and realize as I stated in the beginning, there are a number of good opinions being offered here,though this is one issue I feel compelled to register in on.

Default 14 Year Olds

First off....I don't have a dog (err...kid) in this fight, but I would make a guess that this is probably going to be an insurance issue....period.

I think F1000 is a logical step out of the Karting ranks....and don't misunderstand, it's a big step....and not everyone can make it....and Jay makes a good point.....there needs to be some guidelines and criteria to be met for a 14 year-old to be considered.

Are 14 year olds ready to race full size cars. YES and NO....It depends. I've met 14-year olds that were not ready for pedal cars (like me at 14)....and some that were ready for Indy cars. I guess if they lower the age, then responsible parents and SCCA officials will have to be the one's to decide who's ready.

I will tell you this....I will be parking our new F1000 prototype in the parking lot of the local Karting track...

Matt Conrad
    Phoenix Race Cars, Inc

csrazzle, I disagree about 14 yr old not understanding their mortality. Anyone who has experience racing knows what can happen. I doubt any of them think this is a video game,

If the kids are experienced and want to run, the SCCA needs to make the licensing more strict. There are plenty of older guys out there that I would put money on each race to have some sort of shunt (spin, big off, wall, other car). It's the same in every form of racing. In karting, there are people you are extra careful around and others you can run side by side with lap after lap. In SCCA it is the same way, in the pro ranks it is the same way. If we tell the instructors to be tough but fair on these 14-15 yr olds, that should be alright. Believe me, if there is someone out there driving like an idiot I'll be the first on in line to protest. I ran a kart for 1/2 a year before stepping into competition, I raced karts for 9 months before my first Skip Barber school, and had been racing for 1 year when I turned 16 to attend my first SCCA school. If these kids are top National karters, and have the credentials, they should be able to attend a school at least. Maybe there could be special drivers school for this group. The instrustors could be extra careful about who they pass and fail.

Everyone, put yourself in these kids shoes. If you know that you are perfectly capable of driving a racecar fast, and safe, but can't run because you can't afford a $350K FBMW budget, what do you do? You can't run SCCA because of the age requirments. Do you stay in karts for 2 more years when you already have proven yourself in those ranks and have really learned all you can from karting?

I am not against the kids running, I just don't know how many people will take advantage of it. If there are tons of people just waiting for the rule to change, then give them a chance. Maybe we could have 75 car F1000 fields, who knows?

Contributing Member
    Liked: 215

Cole, Both the Frog and I will have some words with you about your age limit comment. The pressure for a young driver to gain experience and "get noticed" increases every year. We put the club at a disadvantage by limiting participation to "qualified" drivers who will then join another group.

Default Not age that is the problem!

We have had a few 15 year olds run FC and one 14 year old run FF with the sanctioning body we run EFF with in AZ. In the first year when ALL open wheel and sports racers were on track at the same time, we had one issue with a young driver (distinct brain fart; late braking) and 5 or 6 issues of us old farts overdriving our own cars, and 3 incidents of purposeful retaliation for a perceived 'block' of a faster car by a slower FF - all 3 of those were by guys over 50 who thought because they have the 'fastest' car on the track, we should all melt out of their way, or at least drive off the track so we do not impede their progress. These guys are a lot more dangerous, and very difficult to get thrown out.

Bad decisions are not made because of age. Lack of experience, minimal seat time, red mist, quick temper (mostly older driver) and the mentality that "I" have the right of way because "I" am faster, are much more detrimental than youthful exuberance.

Sure, restrict the SCCA driver entry even more. Watch the fields dwindle further. At our Double National 2 weeks ago we had 3 FF's and 0 FC Pintos. It seems to me that the SCCA is trying very hard to be an 'exclusive' club. Let's exclude everybody that doesn't fit in 'our' mold of National Champion. Some of us do not have the ability, nor the financial werewithall to race on the National circuit. Was that not the reasoning behind the Regional series? Isn't the regional series for the amateur? Guys that want to do this for fun, and only for fun?

With the EFF series, we are trying very hard to be an inclusive club (Thank you Pro Auto Sports) for anyone interested in running an affordable open wheel car. We will help you find a car to buy. We will help you get settled in and have fun. This year we are planning 3 or 4 driver clinics, with subjects from set-up to driving, presented by local people that are better than most of us and make a living either prepping a car, setting up a car, or driving instructors. Helping all the participants be aware of what it takes to race, from car prep to driving, to situational awareness, will help grow our series further. We have gone from 2 cars to 17 in one year. Our next goal is 25 cars by the end of 2007. I will let you know when we make it.

My two cents worth; sign them up. Let their performance be the determining factor. Tutor them, and while you are at it, tutor the rest of us. There are as many bonehead moves by us older drivers that makes you shake your head in wonderment. True?

Best Regards,
    Jens
    www.EuroFormulaFord.com

Liked: 597

well then the idea is to show up at all future events, where these "phenoms" will drive, with a partially filled out scca protest form and the bucks paperclipped to it - fill in the blanks when the incident occurs.....if i'm able to write still when the dust settles.

age and treachery vs. youth and ignorant courage

was the National FA Champion a few years ago 74 or 76 or 78 years old?

Banned

Exactly EYE! EWE have supported our argument, AGE isn't the deciding factor.

Eyerace,
    What was your age when you started to drive a street car?

Eye, youth and ignorant courage? thats a new one to me.

What has the average age of the front row of the runoff's in FC the past 2 years?

If AGE isn't the deciding factor than why are we making it? I don't think anyone is saying we want only "phenoms" in the SCCA, but if we have some young guys that are quick, safe drivers what is the worst that happens? Good racing?

Liked: 201

I moved from karts to cars a week after my 15th bday. Yes 15. I never had an issue and in fact I never wrecked anything until the end of the year...the second year I was in the car and that was because a car literally drove into me. I have raced wheel to wheel at VIR with a member of this board and I know he didn't have any issues. At that time I was 16 (barely) but to say that 14 and 15 year olds can't handle it is not correct. You could take a karter and put him in a car and he will be closer to the limit faster than a driver already in scca who then went to a kart, I promise you that. Karting is intense these days whether it is on a national level or a club level. A kart has put me in a wheel chair for three months and so far (knock on wood) a car hasn't yet. I agree with Cole that SCCA shouldnt really be in the game to woo young drivers but this will be an opportunity to see the F1000 class grow (good thing) and bring in more SCCA members (good thing) and provide a way for kids to get into a car that cannot afford a big pro effort (good thing). Sounds good to me....

Andy

I was up in the air about this one...having been crashed out of my last race by some young whipper snapper but I have also been crashed out by a 60 year old fart at the dirt track??

Wanting my son to have a chance at racing and knowing how good the guys are that made the last two posts and their age I say its not the age its the individual driving.
    SuperTech Engineering inc.
    Mark Hatheway

Contributing Member
    Liked: 479

Default How young a driver?

I know my opinions will not be understood by some but here goes.

First - I have been racing on and off for 30 years. I did the Skip Barber School at 20 (with a permission slip from my parents) and started racing at 21, which was the minimum at that time. I had more than enough to keep me occupied until then.

Second, if the SCCA drops the limit lower than 16 (which is the minimum driving age for most states) then I would seriously think of retiring. I would not want the responsibility of injuring, or worse, someone's son or daughter in an accident that was my fault. A 14 or 15 year old could not make the decision to race on his own, he would need his parents permission. I can't believe that someone that young can legally be held responsible for his actions, lawyers can chime in here.

Third, just because someone can race karts at 6 years old - doesn't make it right. And someone spending $100,000 racing karts, even at 14 - am I the only one who thinks this is crazy? And if money becomes the only determining factor - i.e. take two kids, one with backing an one without, and the only one that makes it is because of money and not talent - well, some have said we have always been there - at that point it becomes a very expensive arcade game. Maybe I am just a dreamer, but desire, commitment and talent should count for something.

Fourth - Even NASCAR realizes there is a limit and has age restrictions.

Fifth - for some reason, I think that allowing these drivers to compete will stress the already SCCA volunteer staff at races. Insurance costs will go up and all of us will end up paying more. We already have let racing get too expensive in the search for going faster and then complain about the loss of cars.

Just my 2 cents....

Chris Z

I wish desire, commitment and talet was all you needed too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information