Thread: Toyota ECU

Liked: 6

Default Toyota ECU

Does anyone have or know where I can get an extra Toyota TRD ECU for my Atlantic?

Are they prone to failure? Would it make sense to have an extra? Do they cost a fortune?

Thanks,
    Tony

Contributing Member
    Liked: 9

They are only prone to failure if you leave your spare at home.

They do cost a fortune, generally.

Are you running the older mid-90s EFI ECU, or a newer Pectel T6? I presume from your post and the age of your car it's the tres-cool looking "Players" EFI/TRD box.

Anyway, if it's the Pectel, you can get refurbs for 1500 bucks or something like that, including the adapting harness. If it's the older EFI box you might be in a jam, as I doubt they are readily available.

I switched to a refurb Pectel at the suggestion of Hasslegren and Loyning, so my EFI box would be something I would part with - if that's what you need.

tim
    Last edited by timos; 01.24.07 at 1:49 PM.

Liked: 309

Tony, I used the same box from '97 until '03, with never a hint of trouble. Then one day I hooked up the jumper battery backwards...

Now it is a foul-smelling pile of junk.

The old style went out of production in '97, and I bought the last new one from TRD in '03. If you want a spare, I suggest paying what Tim asks for it and consider yourself blessed.
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

Contributing Member

I surely wouldn't ask as much as a refurbed Pectel would cost.

tim

Liked: 6

Tim,

How much might that be?
    I do have the old TRD Players box, and having been around British cars for too long I also know how things work (i.e., you bring the rain tires so the sun stays out, etc). It is for that reason alone that I think I should have a spare.

Thanks,
    Tony

Contributing Member

Tony,

You have a private message waiting for you.

tim

Contributing Member quartzracer's Avatar
    Liked: 5

Default Raven

Hello Tim,

How's the Raven? Possibly you could post some photos of the rare bird.

Eric

Liked: 8

I have a spare TRD ECU if you are still interested.
    Joe

Contributing Member

The Raven is "grounded" at the moment getting some tub repair and pretty much everything is apart and under inspection.

The carbon-fibre engine bay piece probably seemed like a good idea at the time (1994) but is not stiff enough and did some damage as it flexed in ways unintended. We have another solution coming together which estimates to 60% stiffer. Anyway, we'll be back on track soon, with luck.

Contributing Member quartzracer's Avatar
    Liked: 5

Default Raven

Hello Tim,

Hope all goes well with the repair have you touched base with the other existing Raven to see if it has similar problems? Who are you using for the Carbon work?

Contributing Member

Haven't chatted with Franc about the engine bay issues yet. I'm having Ludwig Hiemrath's (Jr.) shop do the work. All-Composite Inc. in Spanaway, WA near me. They have a large autoclave and do lots of composite repair work. They could even build me a new tub if needed. Pennon has done some very nice work for me (and the previous owner) as well.

Liked: 0

Default New TRD Pectel ECU

New TRD ecu by Pectel are available from Don Preston Racing.
    He can be reached at
    316 263-4769

Thread Information