Liked: 0

Default Have You Seen This Car?

It is a 82 or 83VD. And it was sold to a gentalman is southern California. I just wanted to see if it was still in action..
    Last edited by zhemel; 03.16.09 at 11:29 PM.

Contributing Member D.T. Benner's Avatar
    Liked: 2

Default Log book number?

Race cars do change hands quite often. (and get repainted) When was the last time you saw it? if you know the log book/frame number maybe someone can check to see if they own it today. Your photo looks like Portland Int. Raceway-late 1980's? I sold a 1984 Reynard in 1990 and would like to know if it's still around so I know the feeling. Darrell

Yes the short shorts and tube socks scream 80's.
    Jeff O

Liked: 47

Quote Originally Posted by D.T. Benner View Post
    Race cars do change hands quite often. (and get repainted)

The bodywork on this particular 82/83VD is very unique. Even if it was repainted, and the rear section (T640 look) is still on the car, it would be very noticable.

Ian
    Ian Lenhart
    Level 11 Creative
    www.level11creative.com
    lenhart06@yahoo.com

Default True,but.....

Any car that is raced a lot and changes owners often can undergo some radical transformations. I sold a Swift DB-3-89 in 1993 that has stayed active in the same region I race in. Only about 30% of the car's parts are the same as when I owned it!

Liked: 309

Yep, that's a basic truth about race cars and warbirds. After a few decades about the only original thing left over is the serial number...
    Stan Clayton
    Stohr Cars

7. The following members LIKED this post:

I wouldnt mind buying it back if it was in decent condition. I will have to do some digging to find the build #. Were do FF's go to die?

Default Some go...

Into seclusion as someone's "Project" that somehow never gets finished. Some get turned into Autocross racers. and some show up in Vitage events. See if you can find websites that cater to those people? If you have any record of the SCCA log book number that is stamped into the rool bar that could help? as that number usualy stays with the car even when the chassis builders plate is long gone.

Liked: 1

Default I member!

My name is Stuart Dye. Was a kid when this car raced in the NW. I remember it well. My Dad owned(and still does) a race prep shop. His name, Ken Dye. As a kid got dragged to all the races with him. Loved VD's. Don't recognise your name from your posting ID. But give us a call at DND Fabricating. 253-435-1616. As we have contacts all over the SW and NW.

11. The following members LIKED this post:

Liked: 1

Default Also

Seem to remember this car being fitted with a strange scoop over the air cleaner. Is this the same car?

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

West coast Vintage:

SOVREN, VARA, HSR-west. Also, CSRG, and they guys that put on the Monterrey Historics, but I don't think they run FFs. There are probably forlks in those organizations that ran SCCA at the same time though.

Liked: 139

Is that Foster and Billingtons Tracer racing truck in the background onthe left? If someone could read the drivers name on the car that might help.

15. The following members LIKED this post:

Contributing Member Rick Kirchner's Avatar
    Liked: 1474

Driver's name looks like Hemelstrand.

Quote Originally Posted by Stu Dye View Post
    Seem to remember this car being fitted with a strange scoop over the air cleaner. Is this the same car?
    The tail section and the air scoop were done by the gentalman on the far right. I dont recall how many times the air scoop was used, but yep that is the one.

I was the little blond kid with the high socks and short shorts. I hope this car is still in one piece? I asked my father if he still had the log books and he said that they either went with the car of he threw them away Man I would love if someone had some info on its ware abouts

Default Could be...

Gone back to the UK or in Australia! I raced a 1984 Reynard FF1600 back in the 1980's and was able to track it down in Australia! I still had some old Log Books and lots of Pix so I was able to help the present owner fill in the early history of the car. Nice to know it's still being raced even if it's at "Reduced Speed"

Default Nomadic Cars

Quote Originally Posted by D.T. Benner View Post
    Gone back to the UK or in Australia! I raced a 1984 Reynard FF1600 back in the 1980's and was able to track it down in Australia! I still had some old Log Books and lots of Pix so I was able to help the present owner fill in the early history of the car. Nice to know it's still being raced even if it's at "Reduced Speed"
    It is amazing how some cars end up in far off places. In the shop I now work there are two cars that started out in the UK then Spain, Japan, Australia and now the US. All in about 18 or 19 years.
    Andrew Richards
    Convergent Motorsports

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Owens View Post
    Yes the short shorts and tube socks scream 80's.

Funny how the styles change, with the exception of the corner workers (left side of picture). That white jumpsuit will always be in style!!!
    Ken

Thanks for the help guys. I sure hope it didnt go over seas.

Classifieds Super License Joefisherff's Avatar
    Liked: 103

Default Are you sure?

Are you sure it is a Van Diemen? Kind of looks like a Gemini.

See pic below (even a similar logo on it)

http://www.conceptcarz.com/view/phot...ord_Photo.aspx

Liked: 977

Joe, I was thinking the same thing. It looks like one we had many years ago.

Liked: 25

Default RF82

The locations of the NACA duct and the the tube to the radiator, the one-piece upper bodywork, and the vent for radiator air at the top of the nose show that the car in the picture at the beginning of the thread is a Van Diemen, and not a Gemini, even if it is blue.
    - Frank C

Its a 82 Van diemen. I am def positive on that. I guess my pops ran it at sears point in the 84 Pacific coast championships. I guess he didnt do to well cause of a worn out motor
    Last edited by zhemel; 02.13.09 at 7:06 PM.

Updated scoop pics

I wonder if someone can blow up the pics I have on there and read the stickers on the roll bar? The car was bought new in seattle in the early 80's, and my father bought it and had it for several years before selling it to a dealer in california. He won the 84 rose cup races with it.

Liked: 95

Default RF82-83

Your photo looks similar to a car that went through a Midwestern Council Drivers School at BFR in April. I was told that it was a RF83 VD, but it had some unusual coachwork like that in your photo. The gentleman was from somewhere in Indiana. I'll do some digging. I'm certain I can come up with more info.
    Jack Bartelt
    Lola T540 CFF

Liked: 210

Car is certainly not up here racing in SOVREN with a new paint job. Cutoff for forumula cars is 1972 unless it won an F1 race or was driven by Juan Pable Montoya and even then, the absolute cutoff is 1979 for any car in SOVREN.
    CREW for Jeff 89 Reynard or Flag & Comm.

Quote Originally Posted by racersonly View Post
    Your photo looks similar to a car that went through a Midwestern Council Drivers School at BFR in April. I was told that it was a RF83 VD, but it had some unusual coachwork like that in your photo. The gentleman was from somewhere in Indiana. I'll do some digging. I'm certain I can come up with more info.
    Its a 82 vd. I think the 83's had the body work that covered the intake like the swifts. My dad quit racing when I became old enough to reach the pedals. Is there a list of vd's were they were bought and sold? I know the log books tell all that but i dont have any idea how to find them.

Default Similar but unlikely mine

By looking at the picture the car does look similar to mine (same nose apparently). The rear deck is however different but that kind of evolution does happen. My car is a VD-RF '83 as per log book. The car did indeed originally start out in sunny CA and the first owner was a Bill Fichting (guessing from someone else's handwriting). I would be happy to provide the needed info but it looks like just a cousin of the sought car. Cheers, stommelen
    Stommelen
    (brake operator of a Cortina RF83 and corner worker for all sort of competitive auto and moto racing )

How does one go about tracking down a old vd? Is there a vd registry? I am still wanting to get my hands on this car

Liked: 444

Quote Originally Posted by zhemel View Post
    How does one go about tracking down a old vd? Is there a vd registry? I am still wanting to get my hands on this car
    Van Diemen registry...

http://www.vandiemen.registry.freese...whats_new.html

I took a gander at the vd registry and nothing popped up. Unfortunately my father has no further information and it’s because he closed the racing chapter. If anyone has any information on the location of this car I would be mutch obliged.

Thanks
    Zach Hemelstrand

Liked: 17

Stommelen

That owner's signature in your logbook is more than likely "Bill Fickling." Bill owned P1 Racing in SoCal and was the West Coast VD dealer in the '80s.
    GaryJ

I do see quite a few vd’s pop up for sale but still can’t find this one.

Liked: 1108

Quote Originally Posted by J Leonard View Post
    Is that Foster and Billingtons Tracer racing truck in the background onthe left? If someone could read the drivers name on the car that might help.
    Not sure, I can't see the hot tub and beer-can towers.

Thread Information